Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

General Questions

posted Oct 26, 2010 15:32:57 by Christopher
Howdy Thom,

My questions really weren't "news" related, so I thought I'd post them here.

I'd like to start by congratulating you on the creation of a game type that my fellow geek/nerd friends and I have wanted to play for a long ti me.

The questions:

1. Will Windows be the only platform that you support?

2. Are there any plans to make Artemis capable of connecting over the 'net?

Thanks in advance and good luck!

Regards!
No matter where I've gone, there I've been.
page   1
11 replies
ThomRobertson said Oct 27, 2010 02:13:12
Thanks, Christopher!

Artemis is currently only for Windows. I've made some Iphone games, and many have suggested that I port the game to an IPad/IPhone combination. I'm looking into it.

Artemis isn't designed to be played over the internet. I always wanted the players to be in one room together, just like a spaceship bridge. I want the captain to be able to push the helmsman aside and shout "Full power, DAMN you!!!"

BUT, as a veteran game developer, I recognize that players play my game the way THEY like, not the way I like. And (theoretically) the network system of Artemis should work over the internet, since you can type in any IP address or even a URL. I didn't optimize the message stream for internet play, so it may be too laggy. I COULD optimize the connection to fix that. If enough players request it, I will.

I plan on updating Artemis continuously for the forseeable future. Since I JUST released it, I'm hoping to get more feedback from players before setting dates and specific goals, so NOW is the time to play the game and tell me exactly what you want fixed, changed, and added.
Creator of Artemis
JoeLyon said Oct 27, 2010 04:38:56
Color me interested. I'm part of a very tight nit group of gamers across the US and we'd love the chance to play this over the web using ventrillo to communicate. If you can make it work, you can add at least 8 more sales to your list.
cedarstreet said Oct 27, 2010 15:05:45
Hey guys! Just scoping out this great concept, and my friends and I plan on giving it a shot early next week when we're all in the same room.

Meanwhile, one possible method for easy connection over the Internet is to try something like Hamachi or LANBridger to create a virtual VPN that should standardize your IP assignment to make connection, lookup and possibly packet priority a bit better.
edmundrw said Nov 01, 2010 23:11:18
An Iphone/Ipad version would be considerably more accessable, at least within my social group and allow for more impromptu games, although I'd rather see this version develop first.
d.toliaferro said Nov 02, 2010 03:56:42
Don't you think the screen would be a bit cramped for bridge controls on a smartphone? I'd like to see iPad, and possibly Android tablet versions.
edmundrw said Nov 02, 2010 09:53:24
The controls in their current incarnation look like they would work just fine on a smartphone screen (though I concede it's not going to be as immersive an experience)
Rubicon said Nov 04, 2010 04:37:07
Communications-related question- When are the forums getting upgraded? You clearly have a fairly decent fan base. When I try to access page 2 of any forum topic I get the message:

Service Limit Reached!
There are more topics in forum, but the free version of this software is only able to display the 15 most recently active topics.
To allow unlimited access to this forum the admin needs to upgrade.

Just thought I'd point that out...
ThomRobertson said Nov 04, 2010 15:32:44
Money's paid, Rubicon. It should upgrade ASAP, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't.
Creator of Artemis
5th_Wall_Gaming said Dec 07, 2010 23:44:11
Hey Thom, If you need a forum, I'll host one on my site. We can set up something quickly with phpBB or some such if you want (I personally don't like it, but it's quick to set up).

Actually, if you are interested, I'd be willing to redo your whole site for free. Get it running a bit smoother and such. Email me and I can send you over my resume or some such.
http://www.5thWallGaming.com
We make dreams reality
ThomRobertson said Dec 08, 2010 01:49:52
If you need a forum, I'll host one

1) what's wrong with this forum?

2) I'm not paying $10/month for a forum, I'm paying $10/month for not having to police my own spam. I HATE that, and I've yet to meet a phpBB or any other self-hosted BBS that was spammer-proof.
Creator of Artemis
5th_Wall_Gaming said Dec 08, 2010 01:55:46
1) Well, one thing is that it doesn't show last poster. Another is that taking yourself off the notification requires you to repost.

2) *shrugs* The forum software I made is spammer proof, but I hear ya. If you decide to take me up on it, let me know.
http://www.5thWallGaming.com
We make dreams reality
Login below to reply: