Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

How does your creativity work?

posted Nov 22, 2010 02:41:55 by ThomRobertson
Back when I was working for Digital Domain (13 years ago), a friend said something very impactful to me. I was trying to be a helpful creative force on a project, but I wasn't meshing with the designer, and nothing was working.

I complained about it to my friend, and he said, "Don't worry about it. Your creativity doesn't work that way."

Before then, I'd never considered that creativity came in different flavors. If my attempts to be creative were failures, it was because I failed, not because I was set up to fail. Since then, I've found that this is the hardest part about being creative.

Only you can figure out how you are best creative. There are few enough people in the world who know how to be creative. You are crazy lucky if you can find one other person to talk about creativity with. And many people are ONLY creative in a group, and it's sad if they can't find that group.

So let me expand your mind. Your creativity works in a special way only you can figure out. So get started.
Creator of Artemis
page   1
1 reply
ShawnAlpay said Dec 10, 2010 18:25:41
Thom, creativity is a tricky thing, because when someone doesn't like your idea, it's very very hard not to take it personally. "But I wanted to do it this particular way! There is no other way." Everyone wants to be helpful and contribute something to the project, but when there's no clear leadership, collaboration turns into some weird sort of brinkmanship. I've had this thought many times, working in groups both as a software programmer and as a musician.

In this situation, you're the lead (read: only) programmer of Artemis, and this forum presents you ideas that you have the luxury of hand-picking; there's a very clear hierarchy. Imagine how annoying it would be if you had to at least seriously consider each of the (anywhere from decent to great) ideas that have been presented here!

I say that there's a time and place for collaboration, and there's a time and place for solo work. I'm stoked that you're so self-motivated! I've found a lot of solace in the notion of needing to present something to others by a specific timeframe. If I blow a deadline, I'm not just letting myself down; I'm letting others down, and then my people-pleasing side kicks in. I don't want to disappoint others, but I certainly don't care if I disappoint ME!
Login below to reply: