Members | Sign In
All Forums > Bridge Crew Comms

Challenges

posted Feb 10, 2011 21:36:52 by RyanSlezia
My crew is having a session this weekend, and while nuke runs and mine-bombing runs are fun I'm looking for some interesting challenges to push the system and my crew.

Some of my ideas:
1. Guns only
2. Helm must verbally count down 10 before warping out of combat (simulate a spool up)
3. Main screen showing front screen only (My personal fav, relying entirely on sci for bearings, simulating a much stronger fog of war)

Any other challenge ideas?
page   1
1 reply
Mike_Substelny said Feb 28, 2011 19:36:55
Here's an idea I stumbled on by accident:

Run the whole bridge (except the server) on laptops using battery power. Any time a laptop dies the Engineer needs to drop everything, hook up the laptop to external power, then reboot it. This can make the game VERY challenging and simulate non-combat equipment failures.

I'll have to open another forum to tell the story. In a nutshell I was running helm on an unfamiliar laptop that (unknown to me) had no external power supply. Up against a large formation of enemy ships, Artemis was executing a tight turn just as my helm laptop died. Artemis continued to turn. Enemies continued to close in and fire, quickly surrounding us. With no helm control we could not warp. Artemis kept spinning in a tight circle. Suddenly the Engineer had to keep switching power between forward and rear shields, and the Science Officer had to call out which targets had the weakest shields as the Weapons Officer kept switching weapons lock onto different targets as the beams of our spinning ship could bear.

It had the potential to be really thrilling and we might have been able to fight our way out, but the Captain decided that Artemis was doomed. She waited until all of the enemy ships were right on top of us and ordered Weapons to fire our last nuke. Artemis went out in a blaze of glory and took the whole enemy fleet with it.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Login below to reply: