Members | Sign In
All Forums > Troubleshooting

Artemis 1.5 Linux/Wine Buglist

posted Jul 20, 2011 14:34:04 by Vorus
First of all, GREAT work on 1.5, Thom! The changes and additions are AMAZING! As usual, I like every single change you made, and the game feels even more complex and immersive now.

However, I have come across what I believe to be a few minor bugs that affect the Wine and/or Linux users, so I'm hoping the community can help me out here:

THESE BUGS ONLY AFFECT WINE AND/OR LINUX USERS. THE GAME WORKS FLAWLESSLY IN WINDOWS

1) It seems that when you change the name of the player ship, some things cause the game to crash. So far, it has crashed when a custom-named ship turned off auto-beams and targetted an enemy.

2) The new spinning Engineering thing doesn't seem to work. I can rotate the ship outline, but the system dots don't move, nor do the DamCon teams. Also, it never updates the system status on the dots. If I hover over a system, it tells me the status, but the dots never turn red or anything. (And the DamCon teams don't move.) I'll check the game in Windows and see what happens there.

3) Also, the client crashed when I was tried to create an engineering preset, whether in a custom-named ship or not.

Any help from other Wine/Linux users would be much appreiciated
[Last edited Jul 20, 2011 18:20:06]
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

The unofficial Artemis Wiki, your best source for Artemis Information
page   1
7 replies
Vorus said Jul 20, 2011 15:17:32
Captain's log, Supplemental:

The Engineering station works fine in Windows, so that's good. I'd still prefer to play it in Linux though. Thom, would you happen to know what us Linux/Mac guys might need to get it to work? Additional DirectX features maybe? If not, no big deal, all of my machines run Windows and Linux, but it'd be cool to not have to reboot to play Artemis.
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

Vorus said Jul 20, 2011 18:11:28
Sorry to be a bother, but I've been playing around with it, and it seems like ALL the bugs go away when I play in Windows. So, just for the record, there are no bugs in 1.5 that I have found that are actually Thom's fault, it seems to be a Linux/Wine thing. Hopefully, someone can find a solution for us Wine users, but until then, playing the game in Windows still rocks!

I edited the thread title and OP to reflect that these are Wine/Linux bugs only
[Last edited Jul 20, 2011 18:19:26]
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

ThomRobertson said Jul 21, 2011 00:23:06
The whole spinny ship thing is kind of new tech, internally. For the first time, I'm rendering to an off-screen buffer, complete with 16-bit z buffer. I think it entirely possible that this trick would throw a curveball at an emulator.

If you found some Wine docs which talked about what kind of off-screen rendering was supported, I'd LOOK into changing my code, but no promises.

Creator of Artemis
Vorus said Jul 21, 2011 01:00:39
Aha, well thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll see if I can find anything helpful. (Hopefully, I'll just find a tweak I can do to get it to work.) I definitely wouldn't expect you to change your code for the small minority, big game developers don't even do that with thousands of dollars on the line, but you're very gracious to offer to look into it.

Thanks, man.
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

Vorus said Jul 23, 2011 21:33:43
When I run the game from the terminal I get the error (Among many others, but I don't know how many of those are due to my recent tinkering around) that the game is requesting "more than one back buffer", and the terminal suggests that I "configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer)" Does that mean anything to you?

I've tried messing around with the wine settings related to OffScreenRendering and buffers, but I somehow screwed everything up in the process, so right now I can't play any games in wine.

<EDIT> Scratch that, the same error is present on previous versions of Artemis, so it's not related to the new spinning ENG thing.
[Last edited Jul 23, 2011 22:30:04]
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

ThomRobertson said Jul 23, 2011 23:36:13
Huh. I thought I WAS using only one back-buffer. I'll re-examine this.
Creator of Artemis
ethan.dicks said May 01, 2013 19:50:06
I'm tracking down some issues with getting 1.702 working on Ubuntu (Wine 1.3.15) and I see the following text at startup...

erd@opus:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Artemis$ wine ./Artemis.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f694,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x50058, 0x12e4b0): stub
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0xebf460,0xec0360): stub
fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_preload Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_preload Too many full buffer conversions, stopping converting.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f694,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x2119c8,0x211dd8): stub

I can start clients and servers (i.e., not crashing at startup) but I wanted to mention this since it's still happening.

I did try creating/setting the registry entry OffscreenRenderingMode and that did not change the behavior.
Login below to reply: