Members | Sign In
All Forums > Hardware and LBE construction

Artemis Console Builds

posted Jan 24, 2012 06:03:48 by TreChipman
Well, I've gone full boat crazy and spent a ton of time and a lot of ink this weekend coming up with Artemis consoles. I've built them out in two layers of transparency to be about 31 inches wide so I can mount them behind plexiglass, and hopefully put in some florescent lights for backlighting (I'll probably use wax paper to defuse the light). They aren't functional (although a Lilliput Monitor and multimonitor support could probably change that), but I think they're kinda pretty:

(The center image is a modified version of Adam's Star Trek UI. The left side quadrant map is what I personally use to figure out where stuff goes in game when I'm tinkering with mission designs.)

(Sharp eyed viewers will notice that the central tactical screen is heavily based off the interface from the Last Starfighter)

The Captain's Armrest:

I'm still working on Communications, but it's on the way.
[Last edited Mar 09, 2012 15:24:03]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
page   1 2 next last
17 replies
LeeKeiserII said Jan 24, 2012 14:10:53
How cool! I'm interested in how to get these functional, if possible...
tallasse said Jan 24, 2012 15:59:28
Awesome designs. Every time someone posts something like this I am inspired at make more additions to our setup... something else to work on after our Captain's Chair is finished.
Cmdr.Brandr said Jan 24, 2012 17:04:41
I would think these are perfect for a variation on Seth Sandler's MTmini multi-touch screen. Check the link for full details on how to build it.
Commander Brandr
Commanding Officer of the ship Calamitous Intent

-------------------------------------------------------
Check our crews adventures at http://nerdneerdowells.com
qurgh said Mar 01, 2012 21:11:15
Those panels are amazing looking! I wish I could design LCARS that well.

Have you seen "You Have the Key": http://www.sto-advanced.com/yhtk/

It lets you take images of LCARS displays and map the buttons to actually do things. It comes with an Android app that is supposed to let you control the system with an Android device, but I've yet to have any luck getting it working. I just updated my tablet to Ice Cream Sandwich and still have to try it with that.

In the same vein, is there a list of shortcut keys for each console?
qurgh HoD, lungqIj tuq
Cold Steel Quadrant Commander
Klingon Assault Group
TreChipman said Mar 07, 2012 08:59:33
Thanks for pointing that out, Gurgh! YHTK is VERY cool, and worth the $9 just for the ideas it's given me alone. I was even able to get it to run on my Kindle Fire, but that required a hybrid of the 1.3.6 version and then 2.0 alpha, so it looks like it still needs a little work.

There isn't (as far as I know) a definitive list of shortcut keys; I was able to find some at the Artemis Wiki, but I doubt they're current.

The really ironic thing is that in the past, I've actually been an outspoken opponent of keyboard shortcuts because I'm running a fully touch screen bridge environment, and I didn't want folks with keyboard inputs to have an advantage over people working solely from clicks. I still believe that to be true, but the possible inclusion of YHTK-programmed touch screen keyboards has given me a chance to consider a full 180 on my outlook of my bridge build (and I've got a few KILLER ideas for some LARP-ish and/or improved bridge interfaces, too!).

Anyway, thanks once again for pointing YHTK out to me, Gurgh!

Visit Artemis Command!
qurgh said Mar 07, 2012 15:17:57
No problem. I'm working with the developer to see if I can get some more features added that would allow more control over Artemis. I've been thinking the same kind of thing as you, I want to build a completely touchscreen based interface for the ship. I just wish it had more shortcut keys for each console.

Oh, and it's qurgh, with a q (Q).
qurgh HoD, lungqIj tuq
Klingon Assault Group
TreChipman said Apr 06, 2012 08:56:53
Current bridge designs for helm and tactical IRL; they'll require some rebuilding to make them "work", but here they are:

[Last edited Apr 06, 2012 12:03:34]

Visit Artemis Command!
qurgh said Apr 06, 2012 17:01:42
They look really good. I've tried making LCARS panels on transparencies but without much luck.

How did you print these out? Did you go somewhere, or use your own printer?
qurgh HoD, lungqIj tuq
Klingon Assault Group
TreChipman said Apr 06, 2012 17:38:20
I used my garden variety HP OfficeJet 6500-- probably costs less than the ink inside it, come to think of it-- but I do two copies of the transparencies, inverted, and stack them on top of one another for a more vibrant look. The consoles are three sheets wide each, cut and fitted together (although I'll need a better way to hide the seams). Then, I sandwich them between two sheets of Lexan.

The Big Idea(tm) is to put them over florescent backlighting (probably with a layer of wax paper to defuse it), but the current designs could probably have transparent "cutouts" that support something like an Arduino driven LCD display or even a Lilliput monitor.
[Last edited Apr 06, 2012 17:45:27]

Visit Artemis Command!
RobertJacoby said Apr 24, 2012 23:08:45
Hey,
These look awesome... am i allowed to steal some of those? iam working with YHTK. iam nearly done with Helm but could use some of ur designs ^^ Btw YHTK works fine so far, if you dont know you can map mouse coordinates an klicks to your buttons even sliders are possible some how ( still triing to get them fully to work) ill post some screen after iam done.

Greetz
Bob
TreChipman said Apr 24, 2012 23:20:26
Yes; they are fully available for stealing. In retrospect, I look forward to stealing your YHTK profiles, though, Bob :).

Visit Artemis Command!
RobertJacoby said Apr 25, 2012 10:54:11
Thanks to you i could finish a simple but good looking LCARS Helm for Artemis.

hope you Like it. Its working Pretty good i made it to fit my 10.1 Android Tablet. Tried to get the sliders to work but depending on coordinates ( Sceenresolution and maybe window position and resolution of the tablet ) its very hard to get it to work... but its possible.

Greetz
Bob
RobertJacoby said Apr 27, 2012 15:02:06
little update my YHTK navigation thing (screenshot above) i found a way to make the map raster in the lower right conor to work.
With the YHTK Ver. 2.0 alpha you can implent simple "animation". I opend a 2nd Artemis window with the map up, minimized it and use a tool ( fraps, ifraview or anything else) that make screenshots of that "map window". So now i just Use YHTK and "import" that screenshot as "animation". So it is like 1 sek Map then 0.5 sek Black Screen (more like transparent so u still see the raster from background and then reload the screenshot. So the map in YHTK updates every 1.5 sek. A bit laggy but at least its working ^^

greetz
Xen
[Last edited Apr 27, 2012 15:04:39]
TreChipman said Apr 29, 2012 17:58:36
Awesome! Do you have a link to the YHTK profile?

Visit Artemis Command!
RobertJacoby said Apr 30, 2012 11:53:32
CLICK

There you go... its pretty simple... to make the map work just use any autoscreenshot programm, open a 2nd artemis window used as "observer" click on LRS and make the screenshot in 1sec rythm. Save it to the profile folder as "map.bmp" in 465 x 345 . Its works great for me :) hope for you too.
[Last edited Apr 30, 2012 11:55:44]
Login below to reply: