Members | Sign In
All Forums > 20-Front

AggieCon After-Action Report

posted Mar 27, 2012 21:53:36 by qantravon
AggieCon was our crew's first test of 1.61. Overall, it seems to be working quite well, but we did run into a few problems.

Some of the computers had a really hard time staying in the game. These computers have previously been able to play the game just fine, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the program or the computer. It's a problem that's been happening on and off before, but it's never been this bad. Specifically, the console would randomly get kicked back to the console select screen and be unable to re-join. The screen would display "server not started." Even restarting the client on that computer often did not work.

We also tried to do a little multi-ship action with EvanHawman's crew. I know that Thom hasn't been working much on multi-ship yet, but this might help once he does. It seemed that, whenever the two ships decided to attack each other, the server would crash if the server-hosting ship took damage from the other player ship.

Another suggestion I would like to make is in relation to the Captain's map. It would be very useful if the Captain could place a marker/waypoint/etc., as well as select a target, that the other consoles can see. This would allow the captain to pick targets and be a little more specific about requested courses.
page   1
7 replies
qantravon said Mar 27, 2012 21:55:17
Additionally, we discovered that you cannot outrun the space monsters at full impulse with 300% energy...
Hissatsu said Mar 28, 2012 10:27:11
Well, space monsters are supposed to be a threat, so why not let them stay that way? If you rely on impulse, you must be using Jump Drive mode, right? So then, cant you just jump out, or does monster prevent jumps?

About marker/waypoints, i agree, and i have suggested a more broad option in Development forum http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=28#/20120313/feature-suggestion-map-pings-1373917/
qantravon said Mar 28, 2012 13:48:42
Oh, I wasn't suggesting changing the thing with the space monsters, I was just making a note :-P
ThomRobertson said Mar 28, 2012 15:16:22
the Captain could place a marker/waypoint/etc., as well as select a target, that the other consoles can see

I thought I put this in already. Did I not?

the server would crash if the server-hosting ship took damage from the other player ship.

Known bug that I'm still tracking down. I can't get it work for me, but I changed a few things which MAY have fixed it. So still working...

It's a problem that's been happening on and off before, but it's never been this bad. Specifically, the console would randomly get kicked back to the console select screen and be unable to re-join. The screen would display "server not started." Even restarting the client on that computer often did not work.

I've seen this at conventions, when using my wireless rig. Were you using a wireless setup? Was the wireless spectrum noisy or crowded? how many computers were clients?
Creator of Artemis
Cmdr.Brandr said Mar 28, 2012 20:52:26
ThomRobertson
[quote}the Captain could place a marker/waypoint/etc., as well as select a target, that the other consoles can see

I thought I put this in already. Did I not?

I believe you have put in the ability for the captain to designate a target for the crew but not the ability for the captain to designate an arbitrary point in empty space as a "goto" point. I think that's what he meant with the "as well as" comment.

At Mid-South Con I noticed that I had to be real careful about my IP addresses. Since I wasn't running a DHCP server the system was sort of randomly assigning addresses on boot up. This meant that things could change. In the near future, I plan to run Serva32 on my main machine to handle this. Long term Kwadroke and I decided we want a router for each bridge setup then we link the routers together and all is well IP wise.
Commander Brandr
Commanding Officer of the ship Calamitous Intent

-------------------------------------------------------
Check our crews adventures at http://nerdneerdowells.com
qantravon said May 24, 2012 06:58:08
So, I somehow managed to not see that Thom responded to this until now...

For the Captain's Map marker, I do seem to remember there being a "selected target" marker, but it seemed to be stuck in the top right corner, and clicking on ships didn't seem to do anything. I only tried it in one mission, so it may have been a one-time glitch. And yes, a go-to marker was the other part of that suggestion.

As for the crashing, yes we were on wireless. I never did check the spectrum, didn't think to do that, but I would imagine it was somewhere between "that's a lot" and "oh dear and fluffy lord!", resulting from general interference from the hotel's Wi-Fi. We tried running the ship with 6 and 7 clients (full set of control consoles and main screen, plus either the Captain's Map or the GM console). When we tried connecting with Evan's ship, I think that brought the total up to 11, as I believe they were one console short. We also tried one run where we had a third, uncrewed ship serving as the server, in an attempt to get around the crash on server taking damage issue, but this was even more unstable.
MatthewWhiteacre said May 29, 2012 11:35:40
This is sort of off topic, but if you plan to run again at Aggiecon (or are actually located in College Station), there is a new crew forming (we've played a dozen invasions) here in CS. I've run games at Aggiecon in the past (the distant past) and we'd generally be interested in making contact with you all.
Login below to reply: