Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Star Wars mod?

posted May 23, 2012 10:44:48 by EricWethington
With all the Star Trek and BSG mods, has anyone thought of creating a star wars mod?

Rebellion ships
Freighter or Lambda shuttle (Tr) Corellian transport (Han Solo ship)
Corellian Corvette (De) first ship in origional star wars - Leia's ship
Corellian gunship (current Artemis Crusier)
Nebulan B frigate (current battleship)

etc, etc, etc.....

"... ooops!"
Last words of Captain Phour Phazier Phred from Phremont
page   1 2 next last
20 replies
edmundrw said May 24, 2012 09:36:33
Slave One for an elite, maybe?
FranzDganz said Nov 26, 2012 12:27:23
Bump for great awesomeness! :D

Too bad I'm not a mod developer, else I'd totally made one already. I'd love to go hunting for rebel fleets and maybe have a dynamic John Williams soudtrack taken from the movies! :D

It's so weird that no modder thought about this...
DwayneShaffer said Nov 27, 2012 03:40:15
Hello all I am the developer of the BSG mod and am not a professional developer of any type. That is what make the game great Thom gives us the chance to build what ever type of theme we want. All you need to do is have the drive to want to make this mod.. All the tools are provide for free and most of the models could be found via the internet. If anyone wants to build the mod I will assist by showing them were to find tools and instruction on how to this.
Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
http://vidar-gsr-3701.webs.com/
AdmlBaconStraps said Nov 27, 2012 08:25:20
Really.. If you're going to do an Star Wars mod, it's got to be with the Artemis as an Empire ship #TeamEmpire :D
crazymatt007 said Jan 08, 2013 11:09:08
You could have a mission script where the objective is to get past an Imperial blockade to deliver a large carpet to Kashyyyk, "by hand, solo" in time for the "Life Day" celebration!
JohnKlingbeil said Jan 08, 2013 16:10:13
i would be all for a Star Wars mod <3
Roelosaurus said Apr 15, 2013 11:20:31
Yes, yes, we need this!
Roelosaurus: Google+ / Facebook / YouTube / Twitter / Steam
ZacharyDanielBringham said Apr 15, 2013 15:36:13
I've been working on one for my SW RPG group. The only thing that I'm really struggling with is creating the texture files for the ships. Also, some of the changes I'm trying to make to make it feel more like Star Wars have been causing problems with the game itself. One of the major problems is the difference in scale. I had a mission where the crew was flying a small Falcon-esque freighter and got trapped by three Star Destroyers. The models all showed up on the main screen with proper scale, but the system had trouble dealing with the position of beam weapons. When your weapon has a 1500m range and the ship it's on is 1600 meters long, it didn't seem to matter than I placed it at the front. Also, the consoles all displayed the standard size ship indicator, so helm ran us into the SD several times because he thought we were still almost a kilometer away.
RussJudge said Apr 15, 2013 16:39:21
I believe the best solution for that 1500m range on a 1600m long ship is to think of the starting point as the center of the ship and account for that. So basically, add 800m to 1500m = 2300m range instead. The placement of the beam weapons on the ship are simply the targets the enemies need to hit to take your beam weapons out.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

ZacharyDanielBringham said Apr 15, 2013 18:10:18
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. That would probably also explain why changing the coordinates of the missile ports doesn't really do anything for where the missiles actually emerge
RussJudge said Apr 15, 2013 18:19:53
Yep--I believe missiles always launch from the ship center, regardless of where the ports are placed.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

ZacharyDanielBringham said Apr 15, 2013 21:01:57
Interesting. Well, as I've stated, I haven't had any success at generating texture files for the models. The best place I've found for getting models is google's sketchup gallery, and there are some pretty fantastic ones out there. I've been using blender to convert them to a file type that Deled3d can handle, but if anyone knows how to get the texture file into the same format, I'd love to hear it.
My mod that I made for my group had ships of all sizes from TIE fighters up to the ISD mk II, and it all worked pretty well, except that everything was a neutral gray color.
TreChipman said Apr 21, 2013 06:52:55
Personally, I'd add 10x more beam cannons, but drop the damage and power requirements just as much, and add a slight delay in the various cycletime stats (like +/- .3) so that they don't always fire at the same time. Shouldn't make much of an overall difference in combat attributes, but would make it look more like Star Wars. If you want to go further, drop the torpedo tubes altogether (because when did you see a Star Destroyer using anything like that?) and ramp up the damage on the beam weapons by about 50% rounded up (e.g. If they were initially 10, then dropped to 1 per the 10x idea above, they'd now do 2 damage).
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
ZacharyDanielBringham said Apr 22, 2013 15:44:15
Actually, torpedo tubes on capital ships aren't that uncommon in the Star Wars universe, they just aren't depicted in the movies. Not cinematic enough, I suppose. For example, the Executor had 250 Assault Concussion Missile tubes with 30 missiles per tube, and comparably, Assault Concussion missiles are like Artemis' nukes, where one can severely damage a capital ship.

I have played around with the number of beam cannons, the fire rates, and the damage levels to create a more star wars-esque feeling, but the number one thing that ruins the illusion is the recharging. In one of my missions that I wrote for my RPG group, I added a script that recharged the batteries whenever they dropped below 900. That way the group didn't have to worry about energy. There was a fun little side effect, though: With unlimited energy, they had access to unlimited homing torpedoes. I forbade them from using that bug during the canonical run of the mission, but I let them un-canonically go back and mop everything up. I'll have to figure out how to deal with that in the future. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot you can do with the mod to deal with the energy thing, except for drastically reducing the energy drain of everything, I suppose.

Once the semester is over in a few weeks, I'll probably revisit my mod. I'm going to try to use the canonical ship stats as a guide so that the balance works out, though I doubt I'll use the actual number of weapon emplacements (Viscount-class Star Defender has 2,000 heavy turbolasers, 2,000 regular turbolasers, 200 Torp tubes, 300 heavy Ion cannons, and 500 point-defense lasers, as well as 3 full wings of starfighters. That might be a bit much for most systems to handle) I figure that if I get the DPS right, it should work out.
ZacharyDanielBringham said Apr 23, 2013 20:17:26
Ok, I'm compiling a list of ships with stats based on the Star Wars Combine statistics, which is great because they have standardized shield and weapon strengths, something that I was struggling to find outside of the D20 game. Some of the numbers seem a little off to me, especially the idea that an Turbolaser only does a little more than twice the damage of an X-wing laser, so I'll play around with the numbers, but overall it seems pretty good.

So far I have:
For the Empire:
-TIE Fighter
-TIE Interceptor
-TIE Bomber
-Firespray (I realize that's not canonically Imperial but I'm going for 2 factions right now. I'll probably create a few more factions for pirates and bounty hunters, etc, eventually)
-Marauder Corvette
-Carrack Cruiser
-Interdictor Cruiser
-Victory-Class Star Destroyer
-Imperial-Class Star Destroyer
-Executor-Class Star Dreadnaught

For the Rebellion:
-X-wing
-B-Wing
-Y-wing
-CR90 Corvette (Corellian Corvette or Rebel Blockade Runner)
-Nebulon B Frigate
-MC40 Mon Calamari Light Cruiser
-MC60 Mon Calamari Medium Cruiser
-MC80a Mon Calamari Heavy Cruiser
-MC80 Home-One class Heavy Dreadnaught

That's 3 fighters, a corvette, a frigate, and light, medium, heavy, and super heavy cruisers for both sides.
I'm trying to limit it to the most well-known ships and fairly equal match-ups, but I'm open to requests.
The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how to have both the Rebellion and the Empire as playable teams. I'm pretty sure I'll have to make 2 mods, one for each faction.
Login below to reply: