Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Joystick control.

posted Jun 08, 2012 16:12:22 by ChrisMurphy
Hello.

I have only recently discovered Artemis and it turns out its right up my street along with a few like minded friends.

I own a Saitek X52 Joystick and though the joystick works perfectly fine with the game, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can somehow implement the X52 throttle controller, that work with the joystick. Currently its a nice paperweight that has to sit next to the joystick for the joystick to work when playing the game and I would love to be able to use it as the main impulse control.

Any ideas on how to do this? Is this a feature that can be introduce for those with separate throttle controls on a joystick?

Thoughts and ideas welcome :)
page   1
15 replies
Mike_Substelny said Jun 11, 2012 19:21:52
I made the throttle of my T-Flight HOTYAS-X work with the impulse engines and the throttle buttons work with the warp. It was just a matter of programming the joystick unit itself, no modifications to the ini file or anything else.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
ThomRobertson said Jun 22, 2012 17:48:38
Better control integration is coming!
Creator of Artemis
Drake_Sirlit said Jul 13, 2012 05:11:54
Can't wait for better control integration, I have a Logitech Extreme 3D pro that I use. I programmed the joystick to work as best as it can, but the axis that controls impulse is, I think it's called, a relative axis, where as I want it to be if my throttle is all the way down the impulse is all the way down, I think that'd be called an absolute because where the throttle is is where I want impulse to be in relation.
GuyColumboWorthy said Jul 16, 2012 17:42:54
I know how to remap the buttons for warp now, but what axis do I need to map the throttle to (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick )?
Lt. Columbo
Captain, U.S.S. IPA
"The drunkest crew in the fleet"
Drake_Sirlit said Jul 17, 2012 00:15:50
I believe it's the "Y" axis, although it doesn't really work like a throttle.
GuyColumboWorthy said Jul 17, 2012 13:23:59
But the original poster clearly states that he had impulse engines working with throttle and throttle buttons working with warp. We have the latter working, so we just need to understand how to get the throttle level to represent impulse.
Lt. Columbo
Captain, U.S.S. IPA
Mike_Substelny said Jul 17, 2012 14:01:24
I'm the one who had impulse on the throttle and warp on the buttons. I am satisfied with the controls but they probably don;t do what you expect.

Push the throttle forward and you begin to increase Impulse speed. It doesn't matter how far forward you push, the throttle acts like the up/down arrow buttons, not like a real throttle. If the captain doesn't want the ship to go full speed then when you reach the desired speed Helm must set the throttle in a neutral position.

Hold the first button and you get Warp 1. Release and you immediately drop out of warp. The buttons for Warp 2, 3, and 4 work the same.

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
GuyColumboWorthy said Jul 17, 2012 14:29:14
when we push the throttle forward, we are not getting impulse speed...
Lt. Columbo
Captain, U.S.S. IPA
Drake_Sirlit said Jul 17, 2012 16:53:19
That's exactly what I'm getting. As I said, not the throttle I want but hey, it works. Using Logitech profiler click the throttle and go to properties, change the axis to "y" instead of the default "throttle".
Mike_Substelny said Jul 20, 2012 12:51:09
To get it to work I had to program my Thrustmaster. It's pretty easy to do by following the instruction manual.

Thom says that better programmable controls are coming soon.

Alan said Aug 26, 2012 04:23:39
I'm preparing to run my first bridge tomorrow, and I was eager to break out my old bad-ass joystick, a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. I ran into some challenges.

- It works on a Windows 7 netbook, but not on my Windows Vista desktop. The desktop has no problems with an Xbox 360 controller. The Sidewinder is correctly detected by both versions of Windows; I can observe movement and button presses in the control panel diagnostic page. Any ideas what's wrong and how I might get it to work?

- Is there any way to remap the axises or buttons at this time? Because this is an antique joystick, I don't have any software that can do this remapping for me. Or is this something I'll need to wait for future support on? I'd love to be able to remap impulse to the throttle slider, and move the warp buttons to the buttons on the base.

- On the netbook, impulse acceleration and deceleration seems slower on the joystick than using the keyboard. Going from full impulse to to full stop with the keyboard takes about 2 seconds, using the joystick about 3. Is there anything I can do about this?

- Finally, and this appears unrelated to the joystick, the impulse scrollbar seems jumpy when controlled with the keyboard or the joystick. It will move in the expected direction, jump back a bit, then repeat. It works, but looks wrong. Is there anything I can do about this?
ChrisHayes said Mar 11, 2013 23:54:40
Out of curiosity, can we expect better control integration with v 2.0? I'm currently having the same exact issue with a Saitek X45 that the OP is having with his X52. The main stick works beautifully, but I can't seem to get the impulse to regonize the throttle axis. I can get every other axis on main stick and the throttle add-on to work as impulse (that would include 2 dials and a rudder axis, plus the main stick axis'), but for some reason, I cannot get the game to recognize the primary throttle axis. I currently use my cheepo Saitek joystick which works perfectly, but has far less cool factor. Also, a good friend of mine was asking if the game works with the Xbox 360 PC gamepads, and I can't seem to get mine to work with the game. Any thoughts?
SigbiornSigmundarson said Mar 12, 2013 23:14:12
Have you tried?:

ANALOG_RUDDER = UI_INPUT_JOY0_AXIS0
DEADZONE = 0.0
MULTIPLY = 1.0
POWER = 1.0
ADD = 0.0
HIGH_BOUND = 1.0
LOW_BOUND = -1.0

ANALOG_THROTTLE = UI_INPUT_JOY0_AXIS2

This works for the throttle on my Thrustmaster HotasX.
ChrisHayes said Mar 13, 2013 01:35:33
Yes, I have tried that configuration. I don't know where things go wrong, but when I set the analog throttle to Axis 2, there is no response from the joystick throttle at all. I can work the throttle with Axis 0, 1, 3, 4, and 5; but not Axis 2. Added to that, Axis 2-5 are all on the throttle control, so I know that the throttle addition a) works, and b) is recognized by the game. But I have absolutely no clue as to why Axis 2 seems to be "missing".

The joystick works wonderfully in the Windows Calibration screen, there isn't anything that would suggest a hardware failure and the Windows Calibration picks up the full range of motion for the Throttle axis.

A quick note on top of that, I figured out my Xbox 360 gamepad. It's apparently designated as Joy1 instead of Joy0.
SigbiornSigmundarson said Mar 13, 2013 01:40:15
I do have a problem with any button after butt_8. It could be a similar issue. Crossing fingers for v2.0.
Login below to reply: