Members | Sign In
All Forums > 20-Front

The Valkyrie Kite

posted Jul 07, 2012 18:58:52 by CoreyJoo
The HSS (His Skipper's Ship) Valkyrie, under Captain Gorocco, was assigned to the Hamak Sector. At one point, nearly halfway through the mission, we had destroyed two tachyon emitters. We jumped to a nearby enemy fleet, planning to destroy them on our way to the third. We came out of the jump low on energy and torpedoes. We fired what torps we had, drawing aggro from the fleet of torgoths. The captain ordered us about and to full impulse. We stayed just out of their beam range, and then the captain gave the most insane order I've ever heard.
"Drop shields."

After a stunned silence that seemed to last forever, the crew carried out the order. It was then that I realized what he was doing. The sounds of the ramscoop operating echoed throughout the ship as I watched the energy meter climb.
"Captain, enemy torp incoming!" Shouted Science officer Ambadasdor.
"Target it." The captain said calmly, pointing at the weapons officer. When the torp came within beam range, it was destroyed harmlessly with point defense use of our rear beam.
"Energy at 1200, Cap." I called. Captain Gorocco nodded, and took a breath.
"Weapons," He ordered, "Build torpedoes and fire when ready. Don't let us drop below 600 energy." We went on like that, kiting the enemies and firing torpedoes when we had them, using our beams for point defense. There were some close calls, but we destroyed the torgoths without sustaining crippling damage.

Unfortunately, all that time spent outmaneuvering and kiting the enemy fleet gave the rest of the enemies time to close on hamak base, and it was destroyed before we could get to their aid...
page   1
3 replies
avbeeri said Jul 07, 2012 22:17:07
Sounds like your captain is following the advice of "ensure you are safe before helping others".

Hope your voyages continue :)
Charlie said Jul 08, 2012 02:04:02
Nice try Valkyrie, my first attempt (piloting alone as I just couldn't wait), I didn't quite figure out what to do as I fought (using the ramscoop) for 5 hours. My kid popped in after about 4, laughed and said "same mission?" I took out a lot of enemies that game.
Mike_Substelny said Jul 09, 2012 15:16:19
Great report! Your crew has have mastered the ramscoop and learned to deal with drones. Nice work.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Login below to reply: