Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Couple off-beat questions

posted Sep 10, 2012 18:04:17 by BryanRichmond
First off, since there's an option to convert energy to seekers, does that mean that the Artemis class vessels are equipped with stable plasma packet torpedoes (magnetic bottle generator that ruptures on impact), or is there a fabrication unit on the ship to produce actual missiles?

Second, I was wondering if there are any Honorverse mods floating around--I've seen people mention Trek (obviously), Battlestar Galactica, and Battlefleet Gothic (Warhammer); but aside from our captain, the group I spend the most time with in the real world is a little more hard fiction oriented. I'd try and build one myself if not, but I'd need to start asking a lot of really stupid questions and it would get irritating to read fairly quickly.
page   1
6 replies
BryanRichmond said Sep 10, 2012 21:34:29
Double-posting is usually a no-no, but after some thought I realized I should probably expand on the second question a little.

Artemis is everything I've wanted from a starship game since I first found Microsoft Space Simulator ages ago, but I'm definitely curious to see exactly how far some of the total conversions have taken it to every extreme from gritty battles with People's Republic of Haven to humorous space jaunts in the vein of Red Dwarf.
DwayneShaffer said Sep 11, 2012 03:20:27
Bryan Here is a link that will give you the basic tools you will need to make a mod for artemis

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=28#/20120707/basic-ship-mod-ideas-1744590/

If you have any question please feel free to ask most of us here love to share what we have learned here.
Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
http://vidar-gsr-3701.webs.com/
BryanRichmond said Sep 12, 2012 03:59:20
Given that I've got a long drive tomorrow I really -shouldn't- follow that link... but I can run off of Federation-strength coffee. ;) I'll add any questions I have here--though I do have one right off the top of my head. Would a mod break the game (on a high difficulty mind you) if the player's ship had slightly less beam range but more missile tubes?
DwayneShaffer said Sep 12, 2012 04:55:06
Unfortunately I think the max missile tube is something like (6). You might be able to add more but then it starts to cluttering up your weapons console. I took a look at some pictures of the ships from Honorverse. Basically a space borne sub with allot of missile tubes. What I would suggest is placing beam points were the missile tubes would be and in the vesseldata.xml slow down the cycle time of what it would take to reload the tube again. this would create the same effect of launching a large amount of missiles at one time.

<beam_port x="14.41" y="-27.76" z="253.93" damage="30" arcwidth="0.1" cycletime="10.0" range="5000"/>

and no I don't think this would break the game LOL.

[Last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:00:25]
Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
BryanRichmond said Sep 12, 2012 17:59:44
So adding more tubes to the ship automatically adds a load/launch button pairing on the Wepps screen? Given the fact that we're not really looking to recreate an RMN superdreadnought, I think Wepps would be ok with only having 5 or so launchers with a slightly faster reload rate... but we'd have to build a scenario specifically for it, so the enemies aren't completely outclassed by the modded ship.

Sorry, I didn't even look at the mission editor or shipdata docs, I was too busy playing with the ship-creator deal last night. Hit space, new hull type. Click skin, new look. If I was a better programmer, I'd take my wasted years of writing for a failed pen and paper company and create a universe mod for it.

I think I saw something in the forums about that actually... I'll have to do a little creative thread necromancy and see if the author is still working on the project. I'm not too bad at spouting useless science fiction factoids for made-up planets and starships.
DwayneShaffer said Sep 13, 2012 05:02:39
If you need any help just ask. I built the BSG mod for artemis and did the software side of the USS lucidity mod. It took me 3 months to learn everything I needed to build the BSG mod That's including the re-searching to find models and designing new one. I am currently building a GM module style mission for the BSG mod it will have 26 separate star systems with 26 missions to complete. Were I have turned the GM console into a tactical station. When done you will be able to jump from one system to another system scan planets and other Astronomical Objects. Also will be able to launch up to 5 squadrons of Vipers 1 sqd. of heavy raptors 1 recon raptor 1 CAP and 2 shuttles by selecting the appropriate GM keys on the tactical station. And if you get to close to one of the suns everyone get very busy LOL.
Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
Login below to reply: