Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Fighting Elites

posted Oct 03, 2012 15:32:26 by cawshis
I'm just going to say that spoilers abound here, so you stand warned.

My friends and I are loving Artemis (and a few have splinted off and started their own crews after playing on my ship!). We play rotating crews fairly often, but we're all getting very comfortable with each station.

In playing the higher difficulties levels, we have an immense amount of trouble taking on those Elite Skaaran ships. Their ability to jump and their tough defenses/weapons really ramp up the difficulty for our crews!

Do folks have strategies for taking on these enemies? We tend to try a bit of everything, but the battles go on so long that we wind up being overwhelmed by all of the other incoming fleets!
page   1
6 replies
PurplePenguin04 said Oct 03, 2012 17:06:43
The elites that can cloak from sensors are actually still where they were. I go to visual, turn the ship to face them then launch a torpedo or nuke their way since they will automatically target when they get close enough.
Mike_Substelny said Oct 04, 2012 14:52:27
If Skaraans are beating you then blame your Captain and Engineer for being too slow. When a Skaraan uncloaks or jumps you have exactly one minute to defeat it before it cloaks or jumps again. That means you have about ten seconds to spin around, warp up to him, and start blasting away. Your ship needs to TURN FAST! Overclock the Maneuvering, Beams, and Torpedoes.

Your Captain can stop to think for about two seconds. Five seconds of hesitation is too much. And by the time he/she shouts "Hard about to starboard!" the Engineer should have already put 300% power to maneuvering.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Moloch said Oct 17, 2012 03:17:28
We use Jump Drive on our ship, and I keep science on the lookout for the odd patterns unique to Skaraan craft (solo flight, fast movement, jumps). Then we jump to and engage Skaraan as soon as they reach their target, often while still forming a battle plan for the rest of the field.
dupeofurl said May 25, 2013 19:50:13
I've been oiling up the Primary Beams and jumping them to ~260 % then target them. When in range hit Reverse ~half Impulse. Then manually target their weapons until they stop shooting and hit body-blows (propulsion). Repeat as necessary. Helps to have Science scan their weakness, too!
If it's an Executor, hlaf the oil goes to Primary and half to Forward Shields, adjust % to ~180 and run the same game.
lucas99801 said May 26, 2013 08:03:14
ECM, manual beams, and a mine to finish them off. Also, don't make them your primary focus, toy with them and avoid their weapons. Try to include them in larger fights involving nuke blasts. Your engineer is key to success when fighting large fleets and/or elites.
Hosting a Mumble (Murmur) server @ tsnfenrir.no-ip.org
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
Twitter: @lucas99801
Facebook: /lucastarnold
badgeguy said May 28, 2013 04:55:33
Additionally, if you communications officer is not pounding them into submission with surrender demands, they are not doing ther job. Skaraans and Larger fleet fight times can be cut down significantly if you can get some of them to surrender even some of the time.
[Last edited May 28, 2013 04:56:21]
Login below to reply: