Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

TSN Tactical Handbook

posted Dec 04, 2012 13:37:57 by xavierwise.tsn
Greetings Captains and Crews of the TSN,

As part of the series of handbooks that I am compiling, I have been putting together a Tactical Handbook. My intention is to bring together tactical knowledge for the benefit of TSN crews. The handbook will contain both basic and advanced tactics that can be utilised in engagements against enemy fleets. The contents I intend to include are as follows:

Fleet Operations
a. Fleet Formations
b. Fleet Manoeuvres
c. Fleet Communication
(These sections will discuss how a fleet controlled by an admiral could operate during missions)

Multiple Ship Formations
a. Commanding and Coordinating Multiple Ships
b. Ship to Ship Communication
(These sections focus on how to coordinate multiple vessels in an engagement. They will also address the issue of command of a formation in the absence of an admiral)

Individual Ship Tactics
a. Ship Manoeuvres
b. Attack Patterns
(This section outlines tactics that can be used by ships and detail how the officers aboard the bridge would operate whilst carrying out particular actions, such as high energy turns or during a specific attack pattern.)

Officer’s Quotes
(This section will contain quotes from Officers who have served, or currently serve in the Terran Stellar Navy. They are intended to provide advice or inspiration for developing tactics or considering how to approach an engagement.)

Contact Reports
(Reports of engagements that have occurred, both successful and unsuccessful. These are included to give insight in to how Captains have approached particular engagements in the past, as well as potential pitfalls that may occur in battle.

What I need at the moment is additional comments, advice and ideas to include within the handbook. I have read through various forum posts, the wiki and drawn on my own experience, and managed to bring together many ideas and tactics to include within the handbook. I also am seeking information from Captains and crews that can be potentially included. If you have anything you wish to present for possible inclusion, please contact me here, or email Xavierwise.TSN@gmail.com.

If requested, I will upload a copy of the handbook in its current unfinished state so that you may read the content, gain a greater understanding of the information and how it is presented, and consider the ideas that you can contribute to the further development of the content within than handbook.

I look forward to hearing your ideas and comments.
[Last edited Dec 04, 2012 14:06:33]
page   1
7 replies
Ashwood said Dec 04, 2012 17:47:17
For individual Ship Tactics maybe you should add:
c. Engineering Presets
d. Communications Etiquette
The interwebs. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
xavierwise.tsn said Dec 04, 2012 22:16:38
Thank you for the suggestions.

I didn't consider having Engineering Presets in the tactical handbook. I have been wanting to include a discussion on them somewhere and now you mention it, the tactical handbook does seem like an ideal place to write about utilising presets to maximum effect. I think the discussion will focus primarily on specific presets that aid combat effectiveness, rather than more general ones such as those that are have been created for when the ship is transiting a system. If you have any suggestions on presets to include, I would like to hear about them.

Also, what do you suggest for "Communications Etiquette"? I may have already touched on something along those lines in the TSN Officer's Handbook when discussing bridge chatter, for example, responding to an order quickly and appropriately and reducing unnecessary chatter. I believe I also included points on giving orders to officers on the bridge, as well as how to address another officer to provide information or coordinate with them. Although I feel that "Communications Etiquette" may be more suited to the Officer's Handbook, I'd be interested to hear more about this suggestion as it is an important part of operating effectively as a bridge crew and worth further discussion.
[Last edited Dec 04, 2012 22:16:46]
Ashwood said Dec 05, 2012 22:09:58
Well as there really isn't that much to do for Comms during simple one ship scenarios it would most likely rather relate to Bridge to Bridge communications in multi-ship scenarios. Things 'like how do I adress the other ship', 'what infromations should I relate to them'. I'm still hoping for a more indepth Comm-Station in v2 so it might become more impotant then. I suppose currently there really isn't much to put into that section. Maybe that would be the place for 'don't spam surrender', 'don't taunt every enemy ship on the map'.

As for Engineering Presets. I do think non-combat presets are important and should be discussed. If you have somewhat unefficient presets for non- combat you can loose a lot of engergy and I'm not sure whether new 'Officers' would even know to use them.

It would be nice to have a standart for presets, I can already see it in use for Roleplay.

Captain: Give me 300% on Warp, I want to get do DS1 quicker!
Engineer: But Catain, that is against TSN regulations! During regular Travel only a maximum of 3.5 Warp is allowed and only in emergency are we allowed to go above that.
Captain: I know the goddamn regulations! I gave you a direct order!
Engineer: Aye Sir! But I will include this in my report to High Command!

Hehe..
The interwebs. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
TreChipman said Dec 06, 2012 06:45:42
Officer Quote:

"The Artemis class cruisers are capable of launching up to 8 homing torpedoes, 2 tactical nukes, and a host of other medium and short ranged weapons upon any target within scanner range. With a good crew, it can can get in, do damage, and get out far faster than they can react. I'd say that we're like a wolf among sheep, but that's not accurate. The truth is that as far as our enemies are concerned, an Artemis class ship is God.”

“People, I'm here to tell you that we are absolutely NOT God. We have, however, appropriated his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."

--Admiral Richard Drake, TSN
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
MarkBell said Dec 08, 2012 02:10:27
TreChipman
We have, however, appropriated his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system.

+1 :)
pletcher said Apr 07, 2013 06:07:37
'don't spam surrender'

I remember reading somewhere that spamming surrender wasn't good, since if you fail at first, it increases the enemy's resolve. Can anybody confirm this?
Captain said Apr 07, 2013 17:58:52
Yes. If you continue to ask eventually the won't. If however you ask once and they say no. Then you damage them more it can lead to surrender.

Xavier, if you are going to talk about past engagements I would include maps and do detailed breakdowns of the situation.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
Login below to reply: