Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Combining my life long love of table top gaming with Artemis.

posted Dec 11, 2012 23:14:52 by AaronStrickland
Hey guys,

So, the same group of people I play Artemis with happens to be the same group I play things like D&D, Pathfinder, Star Wars and other table top RPGS. Considering this, I wanted to do something along the lines of merging the two. Any thing that could happen to them aboard the ship, they will have control of Artemis and all of her resources.

For this I could use some help. I do not know how to script missions. IF someone could point me to a link that would be great. Just something that explains the basics. I can figure he rest out.

Now, for anything that happens off ship will be handled in the table top gaming environment. What system should I use for this. Personally I was thinking about D20 modern. Mainly because we have the most experience tweaking that to fit our game worlds more then any other.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.
page   1
4 replies
CaptainZach said Dec 12, 2012 17:51:18
How I got started scripting: read the file in the main artemis folder called "mission-file-docs.txt" to learn what all commands you can do. Then, go into the dat\missions folder, and open up a few scripts in a text editor like notepad or notepad++ (the files are called MISS_whatever.xml, in each folder) to get an idea of syntax, structure, etc.

As for making it a component for roleplaying, earlier this year I used it for that purpose - it was a mini game for a D&D 3.5 ed/Planescape game, in which the players discover a "bioship", and then must traverse the void between worlds (play Artemis on a custom GM mission I made, keep the ship alive, defend against void pirates, etc). No use of stats, no extraneous role playing, just a short break from the main game in a fun mini-game.

If you wanted to incorporate stats in some way, there are a number of properties you can tweak via addto_object_property or set_object_property (listed in the mission-file-docs), so you could make the shields stronger if the player succeeds some kind of "engineering" check, or increase the turn speed if someone succeeds a "piloting" check.
AaronStrickland said Dec 13, 2012 00:23:53
I was thinking more of combining both experiences. Using D20 mod to govern the PC roleplay and combat. I.E. Away missions. An example of the play I am looking for.
Captain incoming message from Command. Onscreen.

Message dispatches crew to such and such to investigate such and such. Along the way the crew engages hostile forces that try to ambush them. Arrive at such and such. Send away team to such and such to investigate.

Here will run like any table top game. Until they return to the ship for their next set of orders.

Ideally I wish to split the time spent in each "Game mode" roughly down the middle.

I am just not sure if the D20 Mod would be the most effective medium to accomplish this. Is a Star Trek type table top out there? If so that may be more suited then d20 mod. If anyone has any more suggestions that would be great.

Also, thanks CaptainZach. That head start did the trick. Just finished scripting a shakedown cruise for my new crew.
TreChipman said Dec 13, 2012 20:40:29
Back in the early 90's, I was in a FASA Star Trek RPG campaign with a brilliant GM. We had a ST:TCS 'bridge' set up in his living room made up of old LiteBrites with ship status overlays, and he'd conduct away team missions in another room of his house. If you were on an away team, you weren't allowed to just go and talk to the people on the bridge from the planet-- you had to yell from across the house and hope that they could understand what you were saying though your 'commuincator'. He also ran another gaming group on an alternate night that played Romulans within the same game campaign, and frequently pitted us against each other. It was fantastic, and one of the primary reasons why I'm so enthusiastic about the potential behind Artemis now.

I'm not nearly as good a GM as he was, but I have been thinking of running a Tabletop/Aretmis hybrid campaign. If your crew is anything like mine,Sector Zero was practically written for Artemis (don't let the bland download page scare you; it works). It's a tongue-in-cheek Star Trek-ish type universe that runs on the Savage Worlds game system, which is as flexible as GURPS, but 1/5th the size and has a ton of fun mechanics.

[Last edited Dec 14, 2012 05:26:03]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
AaronStrickland said Dec 13, 2012 23:46:50
Thank you TreChipman. I will give it a look later on this evening.
Login below to reply: