Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

TSN Tactical Handbook Version 1

posted Dec 19, 2012 21:35:23 by xavierwise.tsn
Greetings Captains,

I have completed Version 1 of the TSN Tactical Handbook that I have been compiling. The contents of the handbook includes;

Ship Manoeuvres (detailing manoeuvres in combat and what each officer needs to be doing e.g. the high energy turn)
Employing Weapons Systems (how to effectively target enemies, how to employ missile salvoes as well as how to utilise mines for "bombing runs")
Attack Patterns (first presented in the TSN Officer's Handbook, they have been extended and the descriptions on what to do simplified)
Division Tactics (for when you want to fight alongside another ship against an enemy fleet, rather than fighting independently)
Manoeuvring Together (strategies for actually moving as part of a formation of vessels)
Commanding a Division (who command should fall to and their role)
Communications Protocol (strategies for establishing effective ship-to-ship communication when operating in a Division)

I have additional ideas to extend the content already included in the handbook. I also have lots of ideas for additional content to add to the handbook (such as; operating as a fleet, commanded by an Admiral; Engineering Presets; and Division attack formations). These ideas will be added to later versions of the handbook as I perfect and complete the content.

If you have any comments or feedback about the content, I would be happy to hear them. I would also like to hear about how you get along if you try some of the ideas presented, for example using the attack patterns in combat, or operating as part of a Division.

Also, if you want more information about the ideas I am developing, please ask. I'd be happy to tell you what I have been writing up so you can test it out.
[Last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:49:37]
page   1
8 replies
JSpaced said Dec 20, 2012 08:25:53
This is incredibly cool and useful and I will be making it compulsory reading for my crew! Thank you for setting out the basics and I look forward to other contributions in the future!
Awesome stuff!
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
xavierwise.tsn said Dec 20, 2012 16:46:50
Check out the other handbooks I have created as well.

Currently, I am in the process of re-working the Officer's Handbook. I am going to go through and may rewrite many of the sections.I was reading through it and could see places where I could develop ideas or make information clearer.

I am glad you like the Tactical Handbook I have produced however. It is great to know crews are reading them and finding them relevant and useful.
Charlie said Dec 24, 2012 09:55:49
Xavier, wanted to show where we're at. We are always learning so we appreciate catching onto new stuff. Also observing games on occasion helps. There are some good players out there and some captains that keep their cool under pressure. Fun to watch!

Ship Maneuvers
We call "Peak Maneuver" which means Engineer boosts Maneuver as situation demands. This covers High Speed Turns

Employing Weapons Systems
We call the bombing runs an "Echo Attack", Echo 1 is 1 mine, Echo 2 is 2 mines etc. As captain I can specify the attack I want and I typically hand "Tactical" to helm for the Echo attacks as the helm can call the shot more precisely. At any time captain can interject and effectively take the "Tactical" charge, also helm may choose to give "Tactical" charge to weapons officer from this position also.

We call our nuclear strikes a "Delta Attack" Delta 1 is 1 nuke, Delta 2 is 2 etc.

When firing we try to utilize where saying "Fire 1" and "Fire All" apply.

We call ECM and Homings by there names, these attacks I tend to give "Tactical" charge to the weapons officer

We have a "Defensive" or #6 engineer setting which boosts our shield
Preset 6: Beams 100/0 Torps 100/0 Sens 100/0 Man 155/3 Imp 100/0 Warp 100/0 FS 200/4 RS 145/1
This setting often is used in the "Echo" attacks to minimize close range damage.

This may seem like alot but it's worked out well for us. Initially we thought about calls for laying mine strips for diagonal, up and down so on, but it is easier to tell helm to come to certain heading and tell Weapons to lay a mine strip.

All that being said crews should expect times when it is stressful, it's fun to push your crew but the Artemis is also quite fragile. We've learned at times to pause and chill for a minute or to strategies as necessary, this helps the immersion to hover over the map sometimes.

Capt FutileChas
Artemis 1701
Captain said Jan 06, 2013 23:47:32
Very nice stuff. All of the manuals I have read by you have been quite professional and interesting if brief. I wouldn't mind waiting longer if you could put together a very through manual. Like the one Thom released but with more specifics on maneuvers and general procedures. Still though, the manuals are very well done thank you for them.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
xavierwise.tsn said Jan 07, 2013 07:03:39
A more thorough manual? I am working to re-write the Officer's Handbook section by section. Currently, I have completed the Engineer section and released it as an Engineer's Handbook. The new section includes specifics on operational standards and procedures that engineers can use as guidelines when working. Work is continuing on the other sections. I will also be working on updates for the other handbooks (such as the Tactical Handbook).

I have looked through the manual that Thom released with the new version of the game. It's really great, and give lots of detail about how to play the game, mainly focusing on the technical side of what each console does and how to operate it. When I have been writing my handbooks, I have opted to steer clear of the technical side and focus more on acting as an Officer working as a crew instead, as well as tactical considerations during engagements with the enemy.
[Last edited Jan 07, 2013 22:27:10]
Captain said Jan 07, 2013 21:56:45
I undersand. I have always felt though that having both the technical and theoretical side of the manual. But it is your manual and your choice and I really appreciate all of them.
To Mankind

Isaac Asimov
xavierwise.tsn said Jan 07, 2013 22:26:08
You make a good point. I did consider creating a technical manual a while back, however I decided against writing one as most of the information was on the wiki already. Also, I couldn't think of a way to write it without referring to a "game", wanting to go more for something that seemed like it was "real-world" so I could have a go at RP later on (which I am now pursuing). Of course, now we have an official technical manual of an excellent quality to go at.

Personally, I'm going to insist that anyone who wants to join the RP crew I am forming is familiar with the content of the manual; it is after all an academy document and should have been studied by Officer Cadets during the officer training.
Captain said Jan 07, 2013 22:41:11
yeah I am signed up for that RP. And I understand why you wanted to keep the manuals separate from the specifics. By the way when will that RP server start.
To Mankind

Isaac Asimov
Login below to reply: