Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Artemis Mod Loader 3.0

posted Dec 26, 2012 16:33:09 by RussJudge
I was impressed with the Mods that were available for Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator, but found the mechanism for installing and switching between them rather cumbersome and clunky, and even dangerous to the Artemis stock install since you had to run with administrator privilege and write over some of the stock files.

The mechanism involved either copying in a directory with Windows Explorer, or running a command-line batch file.

I wanted something easy and brainless and involved the least risk to the stock Artemis installation as possible, so I created Artemis Mod Loader (link below) to handle that. It is a graphical interface that works by setting up a copy of Artemis in your user profile directories, so administrative privilege is generally not needed.

I've predefined a list of Mods already, but adding more is easy. The definition and how the files are copied in are defined in XML files (under "ModDefinitions" folder in the Artemis Mod Loader install folder, for examples), but are not required when installing a new mod not already defined. The simplest way to add a new mod through the Artemis Mod Loader is to put all your files in a zip file with the same directory structure as what the directory structure should look like when installed in the Artemis folder. When you install your mod through the Artemis Mod Loader, it will prompt you for basic information and create the definition file ("*.aml") for you, which if you put in the root of your zip package, Artemis Mod Loader will use this for installing the Mod going forward.

This application can also be used for managing mission files.

Latest Stable version: Artemis Mod Loader 3.0.14

I probably should mention that you should start with a plain vanilla install of Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

I hope you enjoy.

Latest Changes
- Added mood music.
- Further refinement of Xml Editor
- Some refactoring of the Setup window.
- Fixed bug for Mod Developer when mapping files--if file being mapped to did not exist, you could not specify it.
- Added the "Into The Breach Look and Feel" mod by Dean Mallory as a Pre-defined mod.
- Modified file selection in VesselData editor and file mapping so that backslashes are now forward slashes, per Xml standard.
- Added Mission Studio.

- Had settings wrong on two of the pre-defined mods ("Into the Breach Look and Feel", and TNG) so that they did not get included with the installer. They should now be included.

- Tweaked the download source for "Into the Breach Look and Feel Mod" so that it downloads correctly.
- Bug Fix: VesselData editor: Turn Rate, Back Shields, and top speed would not get updated with changes.
- Bug Fix: Vesseldata editor: When the arc width was "1", then the arc would not render. Corrected by "faking" it. Internally, the arc is rendered as just shy of 1 (0.999999) to fix the issue.
- Bug Fix: VesselData Editor: Previously, if a vessel was assigned an invalid side (hull race), the user would only be told that vessel(s) had invalid data. Now, the user gets better feedback.
- Added code to ensure user settings gets kept whenever the application gets updated.

- Added code completion on the Mission Script for named objects
- Added "Launch Artemis Mod Loader" checkbox on installer
- Added code to self-update Artemis Mod Loader as updates become available. I just have to remember to update the file that indicates the current version in my DropBox account, or else the self-update won't self-update.
- Corrected bug with prompt for Artemis Path when it could not find Artemis install path. Prompts displayed funny and were not clear what it was asking.
- Changed code for rending backgrounds with Artemis skyboxes so that the file would not be locked. if the file was locked, there was the potential for crashing when applying a Mod.

- Fixed bug where Artemis Mod Loader would crash on startup if it could not find the *.ogg files (which can happen when initially installed).
- Added in the release date for Artemis version 1.702.

- Reorganized code to resolve reported crash on initial startup. Due to difficulty in reproducing issue, I'm not certain I got it, but I feel pretty good about it.
- Set "Stand by" window to always be on top.
- Fixed issue with self-update process. Version 3.0.3 and 3.0.4 would not auto-update properly unless user had admin access to the C: drive. Therefore, be sure to manually update to 3.0.5 by downloading and re-installing.

- If the Mod Definition file (*.aml) defined a folder structure that did not exist in the Mod pack (*.zip, *.rar), then Artemis Mod Loader would crash. This fixes that issue by simply providing a warning message instead of crashing. The Mod might not get applied--but at least we don't crash.
- Added version 2 of Mark Bell's TNG mod to the predefined list. PLEASE NOTE: if you installed version 2 of TNG using the predefined TNG mod prior to this version, you will need to completely uninstall the mod.
- Added code so that the Standby window would only temporarily be the top-most window. When it was always topmost, information messages would display behind it instead of being visible on top.

- Downloaded all mods to my Dropbox and set installation of Mods to pull from there. This way I have better control over the mods, though I won't be able to keep up with updates. I have had the problem in the past of folder structures changing, which wreaks all kinds of havoc on Artemis Mod Loader. This way I will be able to note changes in the structure and fix things myself before anyone gets ahold of it.

- Forgot to include the TNG version 2 in the installer--should now be included.

-Bug fix: Adding a race to the vesselData file in the Mod Developer crashed the application, trying to split the parse out the type keys ("Friend", "Enemy", etc.). Thanks to Kacie Stevens for reporting this.
-Bug fix: clicking "New" for a new vesselData file in the Mod Developer crashed the program.
-Added code to make sure Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator executable is found before trying to start it. Had an occasion of people telling me that Artemis Mod Loader was blowing up when trying to play Artemis, when the log file said it couldn't find the Artemis executable, which is why it crashed--the only reason it won't find the Artemis executable is that Artemis isn't installed.
-Added code to check that the Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator is no longer installed and offer the user to remove the copy used by Artemis Mod Loader--so that they can remain within License restrictions.

- Adding a new vessel to the vesselData file in the Mod Development editor failed to add an Art definition, so the Art definition list was empty. Since the Art definition was not blocked, changes would not get saved, until an Art Definiton was added. Also added code to disable entry if there is no available Art Defintion, since even one Art definition can be removed.
- Bug fix with the self-update process. If an update was detected, the process would crash once the update was downloaded. This is fixed, so that when the update is downloaded, the installer is run to install the update. However, version 3.0.9 and prior will require manual update.

Updated Into the Breach Mod to the latest, version 1.702.
If you were on version 3.0.9 of Artemis Mod Loader, it should automatically update.

If you already had the old version of Into the Breach installed through Artemis Mod Loader, you only need to uninstall and reinstall from the web (or download it from the link and install on PC manually).

- Added "Flight of the Artemis" fan music mod.
- Fixed bug--if Mod Loader was playing music from the Artemis install folder, it would not be able to replace that music. Solved problem by stopping all music when activating mods or updating the Stock version. Also prevented crashing if a file copy was unsuccessful.
- Added code to prevent crashing if for some reason it is unable to play a music file (possibly due to file corruption?) There may be a bit of quirkiness with the music playing at this time--but at least everything else should function fine.
- Fixed an issue with Star Trek: The Motion Picture Mod. Activating it would cause Artemis to crash after starting the server. This is now fixed.
- Updated Into The Breach to indicate that it does now support Invasion Mode.
NOTE: to see these changes to the MOD definitions, you MUST completely uninstall the MOD, close and restart Artemis Mod Loader, then re-install. Updating an already installed Mod is on the To-Do list.

Fixed the Mod Definition for Star Trek: Into the Breach. Should work good now. NOTE: to see these changes to the MOD definitions, you MUST completely uninstall the MOD, close and restart Artemis Mod Loader, then re-install. Updating an already installed Mod is on the To-Do list.

Added The TSN Overhaul Mod from here

Added code to check for updates to installed Mod Definitions and automatically apply them. If the Mod is Activated, simply deactivate and re-activate to apply the changes (no longer need to uninstall the mod). This check will only occur after the first run of an update to Artemis Mod Loader.

Changed References to "Android Client" to "Unofficial Android Client". The Official Android Client cannot be modded, but Thom gave his blessing to the author of the Unofficial Android Client to continue his work--and the Unofficial Android Client can be modded. The term "Unofficial" is added to differentiate the two versions. Code to mod the official Android client will be added once it is possible to be modded.

- Updated the link to the TSN Overhaul Mod. To pick up the updates that the author of this mod did, you will need to uninstall and re-install the mod. The update from 3.0.13 should allow for the automatic update of the download link of the mod definition if you have installed this mod, but this will be the first time it is in action, so any bugs in this function might crop up.

- Updated the definition file for TNG V2, provided by Mark Bell. Again, this uses the new definition update feature, but the TNG V2 package was also updated, so it should be unintalled and re-installed to pick up the updates.

- Improved performance of activating a mod by only copying files into the Artemis copy that are not specifically defined in the baseFiles mapping. This will prevent duplicate copies of files and copying files twice, so that the process should run faster on certain mods, plus the amount of disk space used is reduced.

- Strange and unexplainable error received on the file listing under Mod Development that crashed the application. Added code to prevent crashing, but due to nature of error, was unable to fix root cause.

- Updated the version stored in modified vesselData.xml files to 1.702, from 1.66.

- One last tweak to TNG_V2 Mod.

Enjoy!

Readme.txt contains full details of changes.

Please note that Google Chrome may warn you about the download being possibly dangerous (it did for me). You can ignore that.
[Last edited Jun 27, 2013 19:11:07]
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

page   1 2 3 4 5 next last
187 replies
MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 16:58:15
Well, for some reason it wouldn't let me copy the bug report text, so I screenshot it. It didn't seem to like something, although I couldn't tell you what.

Bug

EDIT: additional info - I installed it, pointed it to my stock install, and then it blew up. Running it again (not asking for where the install was), it blew up. I uninstalled and re-installed, same sequence.
[Last edited Dec 26, 2012 17:05:52]
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:01:42
The Log file that tells me everything will be in (on a Windows 7 PC):

c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Russ Judge\ArtemisModLoader\application.log. You can email that to russjudge@gmail.com.

I'll have to add that application is in beta at this point since I'm the only one who has run this thing. I'm also looking into relocating the download off of Google Drive since that seems to take you into the zip file instead of downloading it.

Thanks.
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 17:06:02
Emailed
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:13:26
Okay--thanks. Fixed the bug. I had updated the links to the "Into The Breach" mod without running a quick test. The link had invalid characters for an XML file.

Should work fine now. I updated the link on the first post.
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 17:23:02
Ok, loaded up fine and such, then I clicked on "download from web" for the improved helm ui mod, and then it crashed. Didn't give an error or log, just "Has stopped working."
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:25:29
Man--this was working fine this weekend when I whipped it all together. I see what the problem is now--fix coming shortly.
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 17:26:31
It might just be that one though, since the tmp mod downloaded and installed fine
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:32:08
Issue is that some of the Mods don't have a direct link to their zip package, and Helm UI visibility was one of them, and "Into the Breach" was another. "TMP" had a direct link, so would work fine. I originally had the code working to handle this situation, but when I added code to validate the version of vesselData.xml, I broke this, but never found it because I generally tested only with the zip file on my PC. Helm UI Visibility will install fine if you first download it separately, then install it from PC. I'm updating my code to basically tell you this instead of crashing.
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 17:39:03
Sweet. This is a nice package, and I'm looking forward to using it for more mods. If I release a mod for TNG, how should I release a file for the mod loader? just set up a "MOD_ST-TNG.aml" and release that with the .zip file? Or just release the .zip and let folks install it themselves?
[Last edited Dec 26, 2012 17:40:04]
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:41:30
Put it in the root of the zip file. When you click "Install Mod", the loader will look for that *.aml file for all the information it needs. The Loader will also create that file for you--just click "Install Mod", and select your zip file. It will prompt you for basic information, then prompt for a save file name.

Although I should warn you that this function may be a little rough until I can work everything out in it.
[Last edited Dec 26, 2012 17:42:04]
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 17:43:24
Awesome. I'm going to start shoveling my sidewalks, but I'll give this a whirl later this afternoon and see how it goes :)
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 17:51:48
Just as an FYI--there is an "ID" attribute. I've set up all the pre-defined mods using what is known as a GUID (globally unique ID). If you are the creator of the Mod, I'd recommend setting the ID to a GUID (button click is available to automatically generate this), as it is a way to guarantee which Mod is which. Alternatively, the filename of the zip can be used, but I'd only recommend this if you are not the Mod creator. Hopefully, though, the filename will be unique enough.

The big issue is that there is no way to actually link a zip (or rar, which is also supported), with the Mod Definition used by the Artemis Mod Loader. By using a unique ID and dropping the .aml file in the zip, that'll come about as close as possible to tying the two together.

The *.aml file name does not have to follow any pattern other than using the .aml extension. I just used "MOD_*.aml" in the predefined list as a personal naming convention. I used ".aml" for the acronym for Artemis Mod Loader.

BTW, drag-and-drop will work. You can use Windows Explorer and drag-and-drop .aml and .zip files. If you have "Missions" selected, you can drag-and-drop in MISS_*.xml and .zip files to add missions.
Russ

MarkBell said Dec 26, 2012 18:04:47
ooh, chokes a bit when you don't specify a web page :P may want to default to the artemis web site if none specified.
RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 18:09:30
Hmm--I'll look into it--hadn't thought about not having a web page for it.
Russ

RussJudge said Dec 26, 2012 18:24:07
Ah--I see the issue--I've changed it to hide the button when the web page is not available.
Russ

Login below to reply: