Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

A new breed of privateer

posted Jan 10, 2013 14:40:54 by MarkBell
So I was thinking, you know what Artemis needs more of? The answer is clear: Space Pirates.

Enter the CMC: Caelestis Mercator Consortio, known throughout the galaxy as the most ruthless "traders" anyone has ever had the misfortune to meet. If you've got cash, they'll sell you anything - only 2-3 times what the going rates are. If you don't, they'll disable your engines and dissect your ship for scrap. There have been rumors that these ruthless brigands used to be from Earth - perhaps one of the earliest colonization fleets, although no one knows for sure. One thing is certain, however - they always mean business.

This is the Flagship class of the CMC fleet. It boasts a main cannon on par or better than the TSN Dreadnaught and a host of small but rapid firing CIWS (close in weapon system) turrets for daring ships who get too close. (There are 6 launch bays for torpedos if someone wants to use it as a player ship.) The saving grace for most of the rest of us is that it is indeed quite slow.

Next on the workbench - the Destroyer class.

Stay tuned!
page   1 2 next last
19 replies
TreChipman said Jan 10, 2013 18:47:45
That looks ten kinds of awesome! Great work, Mark!
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
MarkBell said Jan 10, 2013 19:51:07
Thanks! I'm planning on releasing three ships as a pack at some point; I'm trying to keep their stats relatively equated to stock Artemis so they could be an add-on pack if folks wanted.

I'm thinking I'll release .xml snippets for each ship so people can add them in as desired, either as player or enemy ships.
JohnKlingbeil said Jan 10, 2013 21:19:46
suddenly the theme from Star Blazers started playing in my head :D
CaptainZach said Jan 10, 2013 21:29:17
I was thinking Captain Harlock. :D
JohnKlingbeil said Jan 10, 2013 21:33:36
oh yeeeeeah.. forgot about that one ;)
xavierwise.tsn said Jan 10, 2013 22:22:43
This looks really cool work. It got me thinking that BvB would be much more immersive, as enemy crews could be on actual enemy ships (if you are releasing this as an add on pack, rather than a replacement mod like the BSG or ST mods). BvB to me is a little disappointing because you have to fight against other TSN ships, which kind of spoils the effect. The only way to get around it is to pretending I'm taking part in a"combat training exercise" kind of thing.
[Last edited Jan 10, 2013 22:25:05]
Captain said Jan 10, 2013 23:24:34
Daddy can I have one?

Looks great. What program did you design that in? some of my crew have wanted to do that but they don't know what software to use.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
MarkBell said Jan 11, 2013 00:41:48
@JohnKingbeil/CaptainJack - I will say those, amongst others (super galaxy gurren lagan) were definitely inspirations for this :D

@xavierwise.tsn - That's part of why I want to release code for both player and enemy versions of these - you just add the player version to the player selectable ships and voila.

@Captain - I use a variety, but most of the ship was designed in DeleDCE, which outputs the native format of the game (.dxs). The destroyer was mainly from parts created in ship.shapewise.com, converted to a .obj in blender 2.49a and imported into DeleDCE.
[Last edited Jan 11, 2013 01:55:16]
Captain said Jan 11, 2013 00:52:15
thanks
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
MarkBell said Jan 11, 2013 00:56:31
MarkBell said Jan 11, 2013 01:57:18
For reference, the Flagship is 3536 polygons, while the stock Artemis Light Cruiser is 3230. The Destroyer is currently at 10,020. I'll probably try to reduce that a bit :)
JSpaced said Jan 11, 2013 10:59:11
Bravo! This is a brilliant addition! Would love to play bridge vs bridge with a crew of fiendish scallywags, looking to tear apart the hulls of lily-livered Naval fools!

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
TreChipman said Jan 11, 2013 11:53:25
Mark, I'd recommend either Milkshape3D or Lithunwrap-- both have pretty good mechanisms in place for optimizing polygon counts automatically. Can't wait to see more!
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
MarkBell said Jan 11, 2013 12:03:25
I've been using a combination of Right Hemisphere and 3dsMax for some of it, but I actually kinda like the DeleDCE interface for this. Plus, the game doesn't like more than 4 sided polygons, and it's pretty easy to find them by exporting the .dxs and pulling it up in the ship editor. Also, the uv mapper in DeleD isn't all bad, really, so I tend to just stay in one environment as much as possible - I think it improves my workflow. (Man, how official does that sound :P) Honestly, I'll probably recreate a bunch of the destroyer manually to get it closer to how I want it to end up looking, but thanks for the idea. Lithunwrap looks nice, I'll definitely give that a go :)
kwadroke said Jan 11, 2013 14:48:09
I used MeshConv last night to convert Shapewright's WRL file to OBJ. I've only used the Linux Version. Haven't tested the Windows version. By using this you won't need Blender. Then I opened it up in Deled 3D.

Meshconv's website: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/meshconv/
Login below to reply: