Members | Sign In
All Forums > Troubleshooting

Graphical glitches & extreme slowdown running demo full-screen

posted Feb 21, 2013 09:58:22 by HappyFunJay
Greetings,

I just installed the demo version 1.66, and I encountered some serious problems when running the game in full-screen. To reproduce the problem, I just need to launch the game and wait on the main menu. At first, everything looks and sounds fine. The starry background scrolls from right to left. Within about one minute of loading and initializing, large chunks of the background suddenly turn into a solid dark pale green color and continue to scroll with the rest of the background. These chunks sometimes alternate positions. A few seconds later, the animation drops to about 1 fps. Over time, the animation speed may repeatedly jump back up to normal and back down to super-slow again. This behavior continues until I exit the application.

It doesn't seem to matter what resolution I choose, from 800x600 to 1600x900.

I do not experience this problem running in a window.

My PC:
Sony VAIO laptop
Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000, driver v8.15.10.2455
Windows 7 (64-bit) Service Pack 1

Any help would be appreciated. I would gladly provide a video recording of the problem and/or run and provide feedback on test builds to try to fix the problem.

Thank you.
page   1
8 replies
EricMallory said Feb 22, 2013 22:40:16
I don't have a solution for your stated problem. However, I can tell you the full version of 1.7 offers a full-screen windowed mode. If you have no problem running Artemis in a window, you should have no problem running the full game.

I'm sure you've played the demo enough to realize how awesome this game is and you're ready to purchase a full version, right?

Peace
Er
IC
HappyFunJay said Feb 23, 2013 22:46:54
I actually did purchase the full version already, just because the premise is so awesome. I haven't installed it, though; was hoping I could get the demo version fixed before I installed the full version.
EricMallory said Feb 24, 2013 16:05:58
Nahh. Uninstall the demo and go straight to the latest.
HappyFunJay said Feb 26, 2013 03:44:13
OK, I've installed the full version. It exhibits the same problem running in full-screen. Windowed and full-screen windowed modes seem to work fine.

My offer to help debug the problem still stands.
ThomRobertson said Mar 01, 2013 16:04:51
Wow, Jay! I've never heard of such a bizarre bug in Artemis before. I can assure you that the code isn't doing something different in full-screen mode. Could you try 2 things for me;

1) install the game on another computer and see if it has the problem,
2) update to the latest version of your video card and DirectX drivers?

Thanks!
Creator of Artemis
HappyFunJay said Mar 06, 2013 08:04:42
Well, I thought I was running the latest video drivers, because when I tried to update them from the Device Manager, Windows reported that I had the latest drivers. But, on your suggestion, I downloaded the latest drivers directly from Intel's site. Sure enough, my drivers were way out of date. Thanks, Windows.

Now the problems with Artemis have vanished.

Thanks for your help.

As long as I have your attention, I'd like to report another (minor) bug:

When you first launch the Artemis app, the video mode selection dialog appears in the upper-left corner of the screen. On my PC, this dialog window appears behind the taskbar, because my taskbar is on the left edge of the screen. The dialog window should respect the geometry of the taskbar and not be created underneath it. Thanks again.
RobJosephson said Mar 07, 2013 23:36:00
or you could make sure your taskbar isn't set to "always on top"
HappyFunJay said Mar 08, 2013 01:59:32
It is configured that way, and when it is, applications aren't supposed to spawn windows underneath it. The easiest way to get around this is to let Windows choose its own position for the window instead of specifying a position when creating it.
Login below to reply: