Members | Sign In
All Forums > The Artemis Universe

The Artemis Players Manual v 1.70x

posted Mar 14, 2013 04:31:49 by Mike_Substelny
Thom commissioned technical writer Michael Doyle to write the Artemis Manual and I think he did an excellent job. But Thom turned the job of developing Artemis canon over to me, a reasonably experienced science fiction writer. I took what already existed and developed backgrounds for the TSN, USFP, Kraleans, Arvonians, Torgoths, and Skaraans. I did this very carefully, with an eye toward creating the best universe for all six Artemis stations to be included in every adventure.

Then I re-wrote the manual to be compatible with that canon. The result is what you see published as the first official Artemis Players Manual. I hope new players find it instructive and veteran players find it exciting.

If you have questions or comments about this first version of the manual this thread is a place to post them.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
page   1
6 replies
Eric said Mar 16, 2013 02:07:49
Is this version of the manual the one on the info page of this website? I do like the Space Alert font and feel of the manual, but I have to admit that the single line of text on a couple of pages feels awkward.
Mike_Substelny said Mar 16, 2013 02:58:47
It didn't have any single lines of text on any pages when I finished with it. I hope that after people have had a month or two to spot errors like that we can release an updated version of the pdf.

The published paperback version is paginated differently. The paperback layout looks great thanks to Marion Robertson.

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
hancock.steven said Mar 16, 2013 22:28:31
Hi Mike,

Do you want feedback on the version on the website, or is there a more up-to-date version we should be looking at?
Mike_Substelny said Mar 17, 2013 03:39:33
Steven, the most up-to-date version of the manual is the printed book version. I'll talk to Thom about getting the electronic version on the website updated to match.

matt.schillinger said May 22, 2013 16:11:46
Any progress on this? I have 1.70, and it doesn't have much of the alien info in it as discussed on the Universe Forum

I am getting a group together to build campaign style missions that will create play experiences for the history that is defined for the universe (things like the first Kralien meeting, etc). The more official cannon i have, the easier it will be to devise missions without stepping on cannon or misstepping over cannon.

Thanks!

Matt
Mike_Substelny said May 22, 2013 17:20:08
Matt, there has been a lot of progress on developing canon but no progress on publishing it. I'll talk to Thom about a way to introduce more of the official canon without waiting for Artemis 2.0 or the next edition of the Artemis manual.

In the mean time, if you have questions please ask them in these forums. If you want to discuss something that will be a secret surprise in one of your missions contact me privately through Google.

Login below to reply: