Members | Sign In
All Forums > The Artemis Universe

Ximni

posted Mar 22, 2013 01:19:41 by TaigiaReilly
I find this race the most interesting. Not totally because we know nothing next to nothing about them, but because unlike the Kraliens, Torgoth, Arvonian, and Skaarans, they don't seem to actively hate the humans.

So why did they ally with humans and then brake that alliance according to the timeline?

As an alien race will they have vessels different enough to require new tactics on the players part?

Anything else you feel like sharing.
page   1
8 replies
Mike_Substelny said Mar 26, 2013 18:24:25
Thanks for asking, Taigia. I am very excited about the Ximni but I don't know exactly when they will be introduced. Because their ships use different technology they will require a somewhat different user interface and a strikingly different player's manual.

In their current form, the Ximni would have been the most technologically advanced race had they not endured a selv-inflicted thermonuclear apocalypse a thousand years ago. The apocalyspe wiped out most of their people, along with languages, religions, historical artifacts, artistic masterpieces, etc.

A millenium of rebuilding a post-apocalyptic wasteland has left the Ximni a hearty lot, with a strong appreciation of the fragility of their homeworld. Thus the Ximni cultural imperative is to expand across the universe at all costs. They don't hate any other race, but anyone who stands in their way had better look out!
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Mike_Substelny said Mar 26, 2013 18:46:00
The Ximni culture values Spartan efficiency. Even their business and political leaders live in modest simplicity, not because they can't afford luxury but because the Ximni disdain luxury. All Ximni, including starship crews, prefer practical clothing like leather jackets, tool belts, canvas pants, etc..

As a result, the Ximni prize clever bravado over all other traits. If you offer a Ximni captain a dreadnought he would say, “Thank you, ma’am, but I believe I can accomplish my mission with a Scout ship.”

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TaigiaReilly said Mar 26, 2013 19:27:43
Very interesting. Though I personally don't like the dreadnoughts. Too energy hungry.

So it was in this spirit of expansion that they allied and then turned against humanity and its allies.
Do the Ximni hold any sort of grudge over these occurrences? Or is everything they do just what is in their best interest at the time they do it?
Mike_Substelny said Mar 26, 2013 20:11:16
During different parts of the timeline the Ximni are both allies and enemies of the USFP. It's like Japan and the USSR during the 20th century. Both were allied with or enemies of the USA (and each other) at various points in the 20th century.

A few humans and Ximni might hold grudges for a generation or so, only once in the timeline have I envisioned an institutionalized grudge. That is the event that leads to the Ximni civil war, and it's a grudge between Ximni factions over their alliance with the USFP. Otherwise when a war is over, it's over.

The timeline is designed to give players lots of possibilities.

TaigiaReilly said Mar 27, 2013 08:34:59
My captain had a question. What do they, the ximni, look like?
Mike_Substelny said Mar 27, 2013 14:40:34
The Ximni are humanoid. I don't have much flexibility here, since human players will be making youtube videos of themselves as Ximni crews. They may or may not have minor makeup prosthetics. I will consult a makeup professional about that topic when it comes time to develop their concept artwork.

Do you or your captain have an opinion? Would you prefer for them to weap makeup prosthetics? Or simply have an unusual skin color?

Mordric said Mar 27, 2013 15:56:31
Sorry to jump into your conversation and I promise to jump back out but I had a couple ideas to throw out.
Their past exposure to high radiation levels could have lead to a realatively large variation in physical attributes. Different factions could even have key characteristics that have been passed down through the generations. Some of the factions could be very human looking with just a skin color change while others could have small horns. This would give anyone making a video a range of options that they can choose from based on how much effort they can put into cosmetics.

As the Ximni get fleshed out, traits can be assoseated with some of the factions. If traits were picked that would be hide-able by clothes/headgear would be best. If someone want to play a Ximni faction that has a characteristically long pointy chin could decide his character wears a face mask to hide the feature to better fit in or something.
[Last edited Mar 27, 2013 15:58:12]
Mike_Substelny said Mar 28, 2013 00:09:18
Mordric, the possibility of minor mutations is a great idea! The Ximni are rugged, so any mutations you see will be rugged. A Ximni with non-rugged mutations would hide them. For example:

A Ximni who grew horns would enhance them, polish them, make them stand out.

Whereas a Ximni whose mutation was antennae shaped like petunias might have them surgically removed and replaced by artificial horns.

A Ximni whose mutation was a voice like Beezabub would scream and shot every chance she/he got.

A Ximni whose mutation was a body odor like lilacs would be embarrassed and cover it over with a musky deodorant. This goes for male or female Ximni.

A Ximni with red eyeballs might were makeup to enhance them.

A Ximni (male or female) whose mutation was pink hair would prefer to shave it off and go through life bald.

A Ximni with bad-ass spikes down his/her spine (like a dinosaur) would paint them, sharpen them, and/or chrome plate them for the whole world to see, at least above the shoulder blade.

The further I go the better I like this. So let's say about 10%-15% of Ximni have a visible mutation. That means many ships will have one bridge officer with a bad-ass looking mutation. I'll talk to my makeup prosthetics guy about manufacturing some of these for players to wear.

Login below to reply: