Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Escape Velocity

posted Mar 27, 2013 00:34:34 by hestenet
So I'm great fan of Artemis, and more and more I think the game has tremendous potential. In it's current state, much of what it provides is a core, multi-station interface, and a few great missions and great community mods.

I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick lately and I came across EV Nova - an updated version of the classic Ambrosia shareware game, Escape Velocity: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

Thinking about using Artemis as the core infrastructure of a game built on the scale of EV really shivers my timbers.

So does anyone else remember this game?

It's great fun. I really recommend checking it out. It'd be inspirational in mission crafting I think.

For now my dreams of Artemis going in this directional are totally aspirational, but who knows, maybe I'll try to pick up modding and see what can be done.

Thanks for sharing in my nostalgia trip. Hope others remember this classic.

Are there other classic sci-fi games that you think could provide inspiration for Artemis?
page   1
1 reply
michael said Apr 13, 2013 00:13:07
I certainly remember Escape Velocity, many hours spent playing that game. I think Thom has said in a PennyArcade interview that he prefers to avoid imbuing the game with any storyline, leaving it to the imagination of the players to develop their own adventure.
Your posting did get me thinking, several talented forum members have created Mission Editors to ease that part of creating stories. They all still require some level of patience and arcane investment. It would be great to get a drag and drop mission creator, out of my league at the moment, but someone out there is likely working on something.
Login below to reply: