Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Suggestions for an Artemis Party....

posted Apr 01, 2013 00:50:53 by benjip89
Hi all,

Very new to the game but have played several times with a 3 person crew. I'm having a Star Trek party on May 15th before the new film comes out and a full Artemis game with each station will be the centerpiece. I'm just looking fpor some tips and ideas from you more experienced captains aboiut do's and donts and anything i can do to make it great. Thank you all in advanced, this community seems awesome!
page   1
4 replies
Captain said Apr 01, 2013 12:03:58
Well if its a Star Trek party download the Star Trek mod. Also depending on number of people that have played before you might want to do a tutorial. There are a lot of things you could use for training on the wiki. Besides that download some missions related to Star Trek. I know of at least three. Those things should allow for a very fun Star Trek party.

If you'd prefer to play with vanilla artemis I would still download the Star Trek missions along with several others to keep it intreasting.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
Mike_Substelny said Apr 01, 2013 14:00:20
Definitely take the time to teach the new players how to play. Assuming you have 3 veterans available to help and coach, I recommend difficulty 4 with an Interesting sector. This gives you a bigger variety of opponents but enough minefields, monsters, and black holes that the players can use as resources.

I also recommend allowing plenty of time for playing, at least three hours. This means people will be hungry so you should have finger foods available. Things like carrots, egg rolls, pizza, sandwiches, or chicken nuggets can be eaten while playing. Things like soup, steak, and spaghetti are much harder to eat while playing.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
lucas99801 said Apr 01, 2013 16:20:21
I'd say start with a lvl 4 siege on interesting for training and build up depending in crew success.

Once you hit level 7 or 8 I'd try missions, i say this because mission difficulty is really controlled by what the programmer decided to spawn.

Also, you could make a mission (or we could help) that spawns fleet after fleet of enemies in a never ending loop to make a sort of challenge map for multiple crews. The possibilities are really endless.

I wouldn't worry about the mod. But one neat trick, before beginning the game, you could start the server on the auto play mode (Hold E when starting the server) and let them game play its own little demonstration, be sure to throw up an observer screen somewhere. Hold E when exiting the server to cancel the autostart.

It may be W to cancel, can't remember
Hosting a Mumble (Murmur) server @ tsnfenrir.no-ip.org
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
Twitter: @lucas99801
Facebook: /lucastarnold
AdmlBaconStraps said Apr 02, 2013 07:08:17
Yeah, run a few low difficulty scenarios so people can get used to the stations.

We've found it's helpfull to have an experienced player as captain and another wandering around helping everyone else (but then, all my crew know how to run every station) when we have new people.

The other best tip I can give you:

Never double-station (have one player with 2 stations) engineering with anything :D

I also show new people this youtube clip to give them an idea as to how to play and what it's like. It's the vid that got me into Artemis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q2X32hZNk
[Last edited Apr 02, 2013 07:09:22]
Login below to reply: