Members | Sign In
All Forums > The Artemis Universe

Task Force 42

posted Apr 02, 2013 06:08:28 by BrandonSivret
I've started to develop my own IP/setting, but I don't see why it can't be rolled into or modified to fit with the growing Artemis lore. As with most things humans tend to do we have created a name for our sub-command within the TSN that flows right along with the paradoxical name/nature of the Defense Department, a department which says defense, but seems pretty engaged in expeditionary adventures. The name of our force element is the Expeditionary Defense Force and more specifically we operate as Task Force 42, a collection of assets whose mission is to engage in colonial defense in the furthest reaches of space. Many of the worlds we are tasked with protecting are colonies within their first days to years of establishment which means engaging hostile alien races and providing emergency response to terrestrial natural disasters. Hence the Expeditionary and Defensive nature of our force's namesake.

United Space Command mirrors the 21st century US military in its Unified Combatant Command structure. While our assets fall under the TSN we also belong to the umbrella command that combines several other services in one joint structure.

Our Task Force's patch is a rattlesnake head with the motto "Honor First and Always." Our crew members wear the occupational badge of Operational Space Officer on their nametags. The crew also wears the Silver Sun flag specifically for our ship, the TSNS Argento (Terran Stellar Naval Ship).

In addition I've included a chart illustrating the ranks we wear on our uniforms.

Feel free to comment or add feedback!
[Last edited Apr 02, 2013 06:11:33]
page   1
4 replies
Mike_Substelny said Apr 02, 2013 17:14:03
Very creative, Brandon!

Do you think you've got room for a Lieutenant J.G. or Second Lieutenant in there? You could use one of those half bars like the Lieitenant Commander has.

Your description reminds me slightly of the American Expeditionary Force in WWI. Do you envision TF 42 as the force that would be sent to fight foriegn wars? For example, if Earth takes a side in a war between the Torgoths and the Arvonians, would TF 42 be the ones sent to fight?
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
BrandonSivret said Apr 02, 2013 17:26:20
Generally Task Forces are generated for a specific geographic or functional purpose. I suppose if the war broke out in a nearby sector then TF-42 would respond, but if the TNS carried on the foundational doctrine of modern militaries then they would designate a Task Force for that specific campaign. It would make sense for TF-42 to include a sort of "first response" role for the outbreak of war.

As for the lieutenant junior grade it would definitely make sense. Just about every service/military on earth has a senior and junior designation for lieutenant. Need to let those newbie butter bars figure stuff out before you give them any real responsibility!
BrandonSivret said Apr 13, 2013 02:36:39
Task Force 42 uniform using the subdued rank.

StephenFletcher said Jun 18, 2013 19:55:23
so cool I’m loving everything that’s going on in the Forums, this is truly what the internet was meant for great minds coming together peacefully /helpfully to reach the common goal of making Artemis Great
Login below to reply: