Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Mission Scripters wanted for the TSN RP Community

posted Apr 11, 2013 21:01:57 by xavierwise.tsn
Hello fellow Mission Scripters,

I run the TSN RP community and I have started designing missions which crews can play through (check out the Cronus Patrol mission I designed here). However, my time is not unlimited and I also have to manage to RP community itself. Therefore I am looking for willing mission scripters to design missions specifically for the RP community. Missions that follow interesting stories or missions that are designed as "Standard operations" are what I am looking for. For example, Cronus Patrol is a "Standard Operation" mission which can be played multiple times and will be different each time. It is designed to simulate the normal patrols that a TSN vessel will be assigned.

I am working on a design brief for people willing to script missions. It can be found here. It outlines all the main points of creating a mission for the RP. I will add extra information to it if necessary.

For more details about the RP community check out the Artemis Wiki. There is a whole area set up and dedicated to the RP community, including details of the RP universe (mainly an expansion upon the Artemis Universe), handbooks and manuals as well as other additional information used by players.

If you are willing, or want more info, then please do not hesitate to contact me at:
xavierwise.tsn@gmail.com

Just to add; The TSN RP community is an unofficial community set up by fans of the game. It has no direct affiliation to the creators of the game.... however all the members of the community love the game and think it is fantastic!
[Last edited Apr 11, 2013 21:03:30]
page   1
13 replies
Charlie said Apr 24, 2013 21:23:38
Xavier, I will help out if I can!
lucas99801 said Apr 25, 2013 06:42:38
As always my services are available if needed. Just remember, I'm a scripter not a writer :)
Hosting a Mumble (Murmur) server @ tsnfenrir.no-ip.org
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
Twitter: @lucas99801
Facebook: /lucastarnold
xavierwise.tsn said Apr 25, 2013 17:38:57
That would be awesome guys!
xavierwise.tsn said May 03, 2013 17:14:12
OK, so want I am wanting is some nice single sector missions requiring a full crew. No reference to the Artemis in communications.

These are a few of my ideas that I just don't have the time to script:

- Trying to sneak into enemy territory and conduct a "surgical strike" before having to fight our way out again.
- Dropping in to a sector mid battle and having to organise a defence.
- Investigating what has happened to a lost ship.
- Hooking up with spies to get information... and it not always going to plan.
- Evacuating a sector under siege.
- Scouting ahead of a main force to get in position to strike at the enemy, then taking part in a mass battle.
- Rescuing a captured officer/ destroying captured intelligence being held on an enemy base (I guess this is like the surgical strike mission)

lucas99801 said May 03, 2013 17:53:08
Give me a detailed write up on how you want one of those mission to go. List of events. And I'll see what i can write up
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
lucas99801 said May 03, 2013 17:54:05
Give me a detailed write up on how you want one of those mission to go. List of events. And I'll see what i can write up
Mike_Substelny said May 03, 2013 17:55:49
Why no reference to Artemis in the communications?

One of the limitations of mission scripting is that the name of the players' ship must be built into many blocks of code. the name doesn't need to be Artemis, but it must be decided when the script is written. If you want the players to choose their ship name, then the script must be re-coded (using search-and-replace) to use the new name.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
lucas99801 said May 03, 2013 18:07:08
Or you can copy/paste/replace any relevant event with all six ship names.

Also, Mike. Referencing "Captain" rather than "Artemis" allows a crew to play through a mission without being reminded that they are not in their lady.

It's a bit of a challenge but I'm trying to develop a modular form of mission scripting that will allow all of my missions to be played with all six default ships. With a 7th easily replaceable name, obvious placeholder like "YOURSHIPNAMEHERE"
xavierwise.tsn said May 04, 2013 16:17:24
Mike, it is as Lucas said, referencing the ship Artemis in communications breaks the RP feel. I am Captain of the TSN Falcon, a battleship, not the Artemis. The reference needs only to be in the communications messages through the comms console.

Lucas, I'll see if I can come up with a whole scenario to be scripted. I do have one idea that I was going to work on, I just don't have the time to do it.
[Last edited May 04, 2013 16:17:47]
Mike_Substelny said May 06, 2013 13:38:06
Lucas, I recommend that your scripts use the "YOURSHIPNAMEHERE" option and nothing else. Otherwise you may run into cascading problems of variables being set by code blocks that trigger events based on the ship name. Just tell the players that they MUST edit the script before it will work.

But if you're going to go that far, your could also use "YOURCAPTAINNAMEHERE" and "YOURCOMMSOFFICERNAMEHERE" in certain text communications.

I recommend that eventually you come up with some naming conventions for the TSN RP community. We once played with the "Battlestar McAwesomeville" which actually worked fine, but when we went into Elite Co-op mode that long name made certain displays on the other player ships unreadable. I expect such a long name would also make the Comms text look screwy.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
matt.schillinger said May 22, 2013 09:40:39
Perhaps a good feature request would be a built-in variable that contains the name of the player ship. In the case of multiple player ships, there could be multiple variables incrementing

Playership1, Playership2, etc.

The variables could be used for all events and actions relating to a ship.
matt.schillinger said May 28, 2013 18:45:52
Xavier: I read through the 'Creating a Mission for the TSN RP Community' document.

In it, is this section:

<snippet>

Your script will be taken and placed within another mission script. It will form the “mission” element of the script. In the actual game, the crew will have to travel to your sector before the mission begins, so additional scripting will be created to link up to your mission script.

</snippet>

When we spoke this weekend, I thought that you said that each Mission is a self contained script. Can you elaborate on what the above information means?

Thanks!

Matt
xavierwise.tsn said May 28, 2013 21:44:02
When I was first thinking of mission scripting for the RP community, I wanted people to write a mission script that I was then going to add extra scripting to. Basically, each mission would start off from our command centre "Promethean Command" and then we would transit to the sector where the mission took place. When we reached the sector where the mission takes place, the script would be initiated

Our discussion regarding mission scripting for the RP community has taken a different direction. Email me direct if you want clarification.
Login below to reply: