Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Vote for a Mission You Want to Play

posted Apr 18, 2013 17:10:45 by Mike_Substelny
My workshop in Mission Scripting at Notacon has been cancelled this year. Instead I will spend most of this weekend doing a public demonstration of how to code Artemis Mission Scripts. The question is, which script should I work on during the demonstration? Here are the choices:

1) "The Pegasus Passage" re-write.
2) "Truce or Consequences" re-write
3) "Catch 22.1" new mission
4) "The Battle of Zeta Puppis" new mission

Descriptions are below. It is possible that whichever mission you select will be ready to play by next weekend.

"The Pegasus Passage" was an old mission that broke when Artemis 1.60 came out. It was essentially an obstacle course that could be played by one player (helm) but could really benefit from having a Captain, Engineer, and perhaps a Science Officer. I could make a second version which would require Communications and Weapons, too.

"Truce or Consequences" was, at one point, my Magnum Opus. It was an epic mission that sent Artemis on a desperate chase across many sectors to rescue an Arvonian Princess, kidnapped by a renegade Skaraan. It was the first time most players ever left one sector and entered another. "Truce or Consequences" was destroyed by the release of Artemis 1.60 (you can still play it if you have Artemis 1.55). Last year I started trying to update it, but the code is so long and complicated that I gave up in frustration. But if you want it, I'll resurrect it.

"Catch 22.1" is the darkly humorous sequel to "Havoc in the Hamak Sector." After a series of misadventures and snafus with your old friend Admiral Weeks, TSN High Command gets a report that the Artemis single-handedly defeated a massive enemy fleet. You are haled as heroes and awarded the TSN Medal of Honor. Unfortunately that report was a fake; the battle never took place. Now your only hope is to track down that enemy fleet and blast them all to atoms, but no other TSN ships or bases can know about it. Your only support is the slippery, conniving Admiral Weeks . . .

"The Battle of Zeta Puppis" is a player vs player mission intended for four bridges. Set during the The Unakalhai Uprising, this is a straightforward combat mission with no significant non-player characters. On the TSN team are Artemis and Intrepid with two bases and some Kralien allies. The human rebel team consists of Aegis and Horation with two bases and some Skaraan allies.

To vote just post the name of the mission in this forum. You can also post a persuasive argument if you want to convince other forum members to vote with you.
[Last edited Apr 18, 2013 20:47:29]
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
page   1 2 next last
19 replies
Captain said Apr 18, 2013 20:21:53
Truce or Consequences.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
TaigiaReilly said Apr 18, 2013 22:59:17
That's a tough question. Give me some time to mull it over.
tsnflyingcorps said Apr 19, 2013 02:02:51
Id say Catch 22.1 and Truce or Consequences... Catch 22.1 is first off, new, and second off, the premiss is absurdly funny to me...

Truce or Consequences just sounds awesome and like it would be a fairly long mission, which it feels like many missions are just too short. It would be nice to have a mission that would last several hours, having that single mission be the highlight of a get-together with a bunch of friends who also play Artemis.

If i had to choose one, I'd go Catch 22.1, but if only a few people vote for it and its between Truce or Concequences and a different map, id say Truce or Concequences...
MarkBell said Apr 19, 2013 14:21:55
Catch 22.1 :)
Mike_Substelny said Apr 19, 2013 15:56:57
For the record, "Catch 22.1" and "Truce or Consequences" are both multi-sector missions with epic battles. But "Catch 22.1" doesn't have a long, epic chase across a bunch of sectors.

Whatever mission is selected, I'll probably start working on it this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Mike_Substelny said Apr 19, 2013 20:20:24
Right now the votes are favoring "Catch 22.1." I'm dusting off the files and assessing that mission for development . . .

Charlie said Apr 19, 2013 20:38:15
This sounds great, I've loved all your missions so I knew whatever was chosen would be "awesome".
Can't wait!
TaigiaReilly said Apr 19, 2013 22:01:01
Will Catch 22.1 require all the stations to have a copy of the mission script folder like Havoc in the Hamak Sector?
If so I vote for Pegasus Passage, if not my second choice is Truce or Consequences.
Mike_Substelny said Apr 19, 2013 22:24:05
So far it does not have any generic objects that require copies of the mission folder on all consoles, but eventually it might. Even if that happens the problem should only be temporary as Thom has plans to allow the server to share dxs files with the consoles in the future.

Mike_Substelny said Apr 19, 2013 23:25:12
Hmmm. There seems to be a problem with missions scripting right now. Some things are not working . . .

JessePatrickRay said Apr 20, 2013 00:47:03
I'd probably say Truce or Consequences, with Pegasus Passage second.
Captain said Apr 20, 2013 01:00:43
If catch 22.1 is a multiple sector mission then I would change my vote to that.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
AndyKlaus said Apr 20, 2013 02:20:29
Pegasis Passage or Battle of Zeta Puppis.
GirlyComms said Apr 20, 2013 03:03:53
Catch 22.1. I loved Hamak Sector too much to not vote for its sequel
I'm probably smarter than my captain.

Comms/Bouncer of the Heathen Steven
crazymatt007 said Apr 20, 2013 06:22:16
Pegasus passage! When does the voting end?
Login below to reply: