Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Using the Hat Buttons on a joystick?

posted Apr 20, 2013 01:06:28 by Insaniac99
In a different topic someone said they got their hat buttons to work with controlling the view-screen, but not how. I have been fooling around int he controls.ini file but still have not figured out how to do this and was wondering if anyone can help. If it matters I am using the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X. I currently have controls for all the most important function (throttle, warp, shields, docking, reverse) but if I could get the hat buttons to work then my helms officer would never need to take his hands off the stick.

I tried:
MAIN_SCREEN_FRONT = UI_INPUT_JOY0_HATUP
MAIN_SCREEN_LEFT = UI_INPUT_JOY0_HATLEFT
MAIN_SCREEN_RIGHT = UI_INPUT_JOY0_HATRIGHT
MAIN_SCREEN_REAR = UI_INPUT_JOY0_HATDOWN

like I saw in another topic, but that doesn't work. to make sure it is just the control button that is wrong I tried:
MAIN_SCREEN_FRONT = UI_INPUT_JOY0_BUTT0

Which works fine, though I obviously don't want to use that.
page   1
3 replies
Mike_Substelny said Apr 23, 2013 19:41:47
I have exactly the same joystick and I got the hat to work for switching the viewscreen directions. First you need to program the joystick to treat the hat as if it were four buttons. Then you edit the controls file to respond to those buttons.

I haven't tried this in Artemis 1.701 but it did work in Artemis 1.65.
[Last edited Apr 23, 2013 19:42:01]
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
SigbiornSigmundarson said Apr 24, 2013 00:41:50
How did you reprogram the stick?
Insaniac99 said Apr 24, 2013 14:29:31
If I understand correctly, you can remamp the hat switch to replace buttons on the controller itself. However I am also having an issue with Artemis where I can't map any button over 9 (BUTT8 in the config since they start counting on zero) and I am already using buttons 2-8 (1-7 in the config) for the four warp speeds, docking request, shields, and reverse. Did you find away around this problem, or are you not using buttons for those functions?

Sigbiorn: This joystick allows you to switch around buttons and axis without any software, the manual (available to download here http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=283&cid=6 ) explains it pretty well, in many languages if it matters.
Login below to reply: