Quintet artemis clone?

posted Apr 24, 2013 21:04:17 by JimNyberg
http://quintet.us/

I tried it on iPad.

I give it 1 phaser out of 10 possible.

page   1
6 replies
CaptainZach said Apr 25, 2013 15:08:37
I downloaded it and played a little. It's similar to Artemis in the sense that it's a game where (potentially) up to five players control a ship. It doesn't have any of the depth that Artemis has for other stations. There's no comms player, there's no "main screen" (every station has their own 3D view), the engineering player has 5 "boost" buttons that make the ship more better and a "repair" button. Science has a "scan" button and a short-range teleport jump.

I gather that Quintet is a pretty new release, so it might still be in development. However, even for making a multiplayer multi-platform spaceship game, they managed to miss all the things that make Artemis unique or interesting. The engineering screen has 5 buttons, a "hack" button, and a "repair" button. It's a lot less sophisticated than Artemis's sliders, coolant, and DamCon teams. Similarly science doesn't have a long range map, they can click a target to "scan" it and get a shield frequency. As far as I can tell there is no long-range map in Quintet, every scenario takes place in a very small (albeit 3D) area.

It's really sad for me to say this, but it has some things Artemis lacks, including valid complaints members of this forum have made. It has an in-game lobby, where you make a ship and other people can join. It has an in-game chat and voice chat system. You can kick players from your ship if they're being insubordinate. It takes the complicated and intricate gameplay of Artemis and boils it down to button-mashing. It has real 3D movement. Finally, you can hop into a fighter and play alongside other crewed ships. What it is NOT is a "spaceship bridge simulator". It doesn't seem to capture the immersion Artemis has pulled off so well.
martinvsamuelsson said Apr 25, 2013 15:36:10
Played a few missions, CaptainZach pretty much sums it up
lucas99801 said May 02, 2013 19:26:23
The 3D maneuverability is a little obnoxious at times. Buy I agree with Zach's pros/cons list 100%

Also Zach. Artemis doesn't have lobbies online lobbies due to the cost of server hosting in a minimal community. And the reason Quintet is so feature rich is because it is built on the Unity engine which makes programming cake. Thom is rolling from Raw C++ I believe, so props to Thom.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy seeing Artemis ported to the Unity engine ;)
Hosting a Mumble (Murmur) server @ tsnfenrir.no-ip.org
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
Twitter: @lucas99801
Facebook: /lucastarnold
sgpaxman said May 04, 2013 16:43:07
First of all as this is my first post on these forums, I'd like to say hello to the Artemis Fans community.

@Lucas99801: As an amateur unity developer myself, The engine would bring many interesting things built into it's rendering abilities. for instance out of the box normal mapping on 3D assets. But what I see from Thom's custom game engine from scratch has been great.

While I am currently working on my own unrelated game project. I have often wondered about making something like Artemis myself using Scripts to handle the different GUI's for each station and having the server process the inputs from each station.

True this would be made simple as cake with unity but it would lake the hard won character of the original Artemis.

I do however agree that if for some reason Thom did switch from His own engine to Unity3D Pro, His work flow would be better served writing code as unity would handle most of the visual aspects once in place and he would then really only have to worry about station scripts, assets and the LAN/Net Code needed to drive it all.

@CaptianZach: From my understanding Artemis V2.0, will have 3D(ish) Ship movement added to the Helm station so that I can finally perform that dreaded surprise ambush from below. It has been something that I have been wanting to try for some time now. Then again I run both Helm and Weapons stations at the same time (Been training myself to be a better more effective captain for when I form my own crew later) the addition of 3D ship control may complicate the situation when running two stations at once.

As it sits Artemis could very easily be made into a current naval bridge simulation (sans submarines) where the players must patrol a cretin section of the earths ocean. and that actually is really fun to my surprise. I do look forward to a new dimension of movement (Adding subs to the fleet) and hope that it brings more fun to an already fun game.
Salt Lake City Artemis SBS Fan is Looking for a local crew to join.
DomC said May 14, 2013 21:38:12
I have played a lot of Quintet. It's a very different game than Artemis. Everything stated above is true, but I think think those difference are intentional. I think their differences make each game worth playing.

Quintet feels very much like a quick action game, whereas Artemis is a more of a roleplaying game.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to call everyone up and fill the living room with workstations and work on missions and invasions. Sometimes I just want to blow up drones. That is the value of Quintet. it's truly 1-5 player per ship, whereas Artemis is general 3-5 player and you should all be in the same place.
Dom C

Designation: IONN
Weapons Officer of the Kismet
Login below to reply: