Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

More Scripting Limitation Questions

posted May 14, 2013 02:01:51 by badgeguy
Hi everyone,

I'm back with a few more questions/observations. I have nearly completed my faithful recreation of Invasion in mission form (Single Front/Double Front/Siege, Barren/Interesting/Very Interesting, Difficulty levels 1-11, Side Missions (excluding production speed and shield generators), and custom time lengths), all GM controllable at launch. It requires a beefy system as it is clocking in at a little over 2MB and nearly 27,500 lines.

I have noticed the following, though:

- When docking, there is no visual tractor beam. Is this common?
- My DMX lighting does not appear to work with missions. Again, is this common?
- The NPC count at the mission summary is always 0 and negative the number of lost friendlies.

Is there anything that can be done about any of these, most importantly the DMX lighting?

Thanks,

Rusty
[Last edited May 14, 2013 02:02:30]
page   1
10 replies
badgeguy said May 14, 2013 02:24:16
Okay,

I solved the DMX problem. I didn't realize that each mission needed their own DMXcommands.xml file in the same directory. That makes all other issues minor. But, if you do have information about them, it still would be appreciated.

Rusty
Charlie said May 14, 2013 02:44:08
Hello badgeguy

When docking, there is no visual tractor beam. Is this common?
- My DMX lighting does not appear to work with missions. Again, is this common?

All this works on my missions as long as I am hosting.
badgeguy said May 14, 2013 02:47:14
Charlie,

Do you have anything other than the DMXcommands and MISS_missionname files in the MISS_missionname directory? Perhaps there is a skin file I am missing or the game is looking for when running a mission. Perhaps my mission file is just over-taxing the server.

Rusty
Charlie said May 14, 2013 07:12:12
Rusty, I haven't added anything other than the a DMX lighting variation! I think, I will double check with my kid tomorrow.
Charlie said May 14, 2013 20:33:16
Kid recommends re-install Artemis. Try this, let us know after that!
Mike_Substelny said May 14, 2013 22:02:11
Do not count on the mission summary statistics for anything. They are not reliable, even in Invasion Mode. Thom is aware of this --- in fact he pointed it out.

I have not noticed a problem with DMX lighting in my mission scripts. I will look into this and see if I can replicate it.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
badgeguy said May 15, 2013 01:38:33
Mike,

Like I said, I had discovered that the DMX problem was mine. I did not have a copy of the xml file in the specific mission directory. It works fine once placed there.

I still am unable to get particle beams or tractors beams visible on the main screen during battle nor docking. I have tried this on two different systems. As such, I believe this to be an issue of the size of my mission file. I am scheming ways in which to reduce the size of the file while retaining the experience of invasion. I am also noticing that due to the size of this mission, the main screen stutters and jitters during game play. Another reason to reduce the size.

You wouldn't happen to know the formula for fleet sizes and placements based on difficulty level, would you? I am doing it the old fashioned way and reverse engineering the numbers for multiple runs of every mission type on every mission difficulty level, but it is time consuming.

Thanks,

Rusty
Mike_Substelny said May 15, 2013 02:16:36
What XML file are you referring to? My missions just have the mission script XML file in their folders and my lighting and tractor beam effects look correct. What particle beam do you mean?

As far as I know there is no limitation to the size of a Mission Script. Do you have a lot of blocks that execute every cycle? That could slow things down a bit.

I do not know much about Invasion Mode's logic.

On a bigger scale, why do you want to replicate Invasion Mode with a GM console? Why not make something better than Invasion Mode?

Some of us have had long conversations with Thom about Invasion Mode, and I expect it to change drastically for Artemis 2.0. When that happens you may need to re-write your whole mission script.

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
badgeguy said May 15, 2013 02:53:16
Mike,

I think that a couple of concepts have crossed in this conversation.

1) I could not get DMX lighting to work while running my mission. This was solved by copying the DMXcommands.xml file into the MISS_Invasion directory. It works. An non issue now.

2) The same mission file that I am discussing above (MISS_Invasion.xml), regardless of the DMX issue, does not have the weapons fire (beams) nor the tractor beam (docking) appear on the main screen (Front View). I believe this to be due to the fact that the MISS_Invasion.xml file that I have written is over 2 MB in size with more than 27,000 lines of code, many of which are checking the status of ships and timers (10426 Conditions, 10525 Actions). It is quite possible that Artemis can not support that active of a mission file and retain all of the effects in memory.

I am attempting to recreate Invasion due to an issue with the hard coded time limits and my ability to run an as fulfilling of an experience for both new and experienced players in a 30 minute time frame for the Strategicon convention this Memorial Day weekend. There will be approximately 2,000 people at this convention and the last time I ran Artemis, every session was booked, with an audience of at least 10 people at all times. As Invasion's options are only 20 or 30 minutes (no 25 minute option), I am left with either having 10 minutes of dead time between every session, or losing time throughout the day because of the inability to change crews instantly and get the next 30 minute mission started. Within 2 runnings of the event, I was delayed by 10 minutes last time. 25 minutes is the optimum time, and not an option in the current game. I have been told repeatedly to "write a mission" as the solution to this. The environments and establishment of fleets was not a problem, and the real processing requirement came with the introduction of the side missions to the script. The only use of the GM is to establish Difficulty level, map type (Single Front, Double Front, or Siege), terrain type (Barren, Interesting, or Very Interesting), and if necessary, a different time limit if restarting for a crew that destroyed themselves in the first 5 to 10 minutes. The GM is out once the game starts, other than the ability to end the mission immediately, if deemed necessary.

I understand that 2.0 will change Invasion, but I expect by that time the time limit issue to be resolved as well, and then not need to update my script.

I have come up with a way to cut the mission file in half, as well as the conditions by more than 60% and the Actions by 50%, during this reply, so hopefully that will help with the lagging issue.

Thanks for listening and helping out.

Rusty
[Last edited May 15, 2013 03:24:54]
Mike_Substelny said May 15, 2013 18:50:50
1) I could not get DMX lighting to work while running my mission. This was solved by copying the DMXcommands.xml file into the MISS_Invasion directory. It works. An non issue now.

What I was saying was this: I have never needed to do that.

I am attempting to recreate Invasion due to an issue with the hard coded time limits and my ability to run an as fulfilling of an experience for both new and experienced players in a 30 minute time frame for the Strategicon convention this Memorial Day weekend.

What you propose to do *should* work as far as I know. I think your players will enjoy it.

Something to consider: At any difficulty level, players can usually survive for 25 minutes without being destroyed. If they are destroyed sooner it is usually a catastrophic mistake made by Helm (flying into a minefield or black hole). Do you have a contingency play for a crew that dies ten minutes into the game? Do they get to restart with another 25 minutes?

Invasion Mode always gives the players four stations that start out loaded with torpedoes, ECMs, nukes, and mines. Usually supplies are just running out at 25 minutes and start getting desperately low after 35 - 40 minutes.

If I were writing mission scripts for Strategicon I would do it this way:

1) Write a series of mission scripts similar to Invasion Mode that work on any difficulty level.

2) Enhance the mission scripts with things you can't have in Invasion mode: e.g. scan data for the enemy ships to make Science more fun and extra messages from the enemies to make Communications more fun. Audio Communications are fun for home players but I don't recommend them for a noisy convention setting.

3) At the end of 23 minutes stage a "Boss Battle." That is, spawn a bunch or Skaraans and/or Torgoths and use set_relative_position to put them near the players.

4) To win, the players must survive the Boss Battle for two minutes. At the end of the 25th minute if the players are still alive terminate the mission and put a big_message "YOU WIN!" on the main view screen. If they don't survive those two minutes then they will have died in the middle of a glorious battle with their hearts pounding.

5) If the players actually defeat all the Bosses in those last two minutes give them some sort of special award.

Those are just suggestions. I'm sure your mission script will be a lot of fun for your players.
[Last edited May 15, 2013 18:51:33]

Login below to reply: