Members | Sign In
All Forums > 20-Front

Scouts in Space!

posted May 15, 2013 15:44:57 by ZacharyDanielBringham
I'm an assistant Varsity scout leader and last night I set up an Artemis session for my scouts. After struggling with getting the clients to connect to the server for 1/2 hour we figured out a workaround and were ready to go. (I posted about this in troubleshooting, but a quick recap: I have a router that I've used without a problem to play Artemis in the past, but when I set it up in a new building without an internet connection no one could connect to the server even though they could connect to the router)

I had loaded the TNG mod which looked fantastic. We had 6 people, but only 4 of the 5 laptops were working (I had brought 2 desktops to be hardlined to my router but when we used a different network the desktops were useless). Being the most experienced with Artemis I took it upon myself to captain the Galaxy-Class ship that we used. Our first adventure was a level 1 difficulty siege in a barren sector so the boys could get a feel for the controls. We handily defeated the few Romulan, Klingon, and Dominion ships in the sector with only one casualty; we lost a member of one of our DamCon team due to our engineer letting the primary beam system overheat.

Next we boosted the difficulty to level 3 and chose an interesting sector, still in a Galaxy-Class ship. Our helmsman and our science officer decided to switch jobs. We did a lot of running back and forth between our stations, trying to draw the enemy out after us. With liberal use of nukes, mines, and ecms, we were able to clear out the sector without a single casualty.

I wished we could have played longer, but the struggle with connecting to the server took up 45 minutes of our time.
Needless to say, we might have some young converts-in-the-making
page   1
2 replies
MarkBell said May 18, 2013 20:10:20
Sounds awesome! Are you thinking of making this a regular thing with the scouts?
ZacharyDanielBringham said May 20, 2013 06:56:25
Several of them expressed interest in playing regularly, but I doubt we will. Maybe every few months or so
Login below to reply: