Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Poll: Preferred Mission Length?

posted May 20, 2013 18:48:42 by ErikBergman
What is your preferred mission length and why?
page   1
6 replies
XHawk87 said May 20, 2013 21:10:53
5 years. to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
xavierwise.tsn said May 20, 2013 21:13:44
Around 30 minutes minimum, and around 60 minutes maximum.

It seems that most invasion missions take about 30 minutes (playing on higher levels) and this seems a decent time. Other missions I have played fit this kind of time scale. It allows you to rotate crews around when you have lots of players, so people aren't sat doing nothing and just watching. When a mission lasts less than 30 minutes (say 20 minutes) and it doesn't feel like you get "stuck in" enough. It feels more like a quick skirmish than a proper mission.

As for the 60 minute max, I have played missions that have lasted longer (2 to 2.5 hours) and they tend to begin to drag. I'd determine therefore that any mission over 60 minutes would begin to get boring. If you want a longer mission, then there needs to be a VERY good story line driving it with plenty for ALL the officers to do throughout. So far, I have not managed to find (or script) such a mission.

So there you go, that is my vote and reasons! Hope it helps.
Captain said May 21, 2013 01:24:20
Totally agree with Xavier. It is difficult to keep all the players engaged on longer missions. Comms can start by collecting info and moving ships but eventually they just end up relaying messages to the captain. Other stations develop similar quirks on longer missions which cause boredom. And if you attempt to correct this you either end up with a massive script. (Working on one that was going to be 3 hours or so and the mission is massive to say the least) So if you really want to script one in a feasible amount of time and keep it interesting keep it close to the frames Xavier mentioned.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
ErikBergman said May 21, 2013 15:22:50
Thanks! Sorry Hawk, not sure anyone has the facilities for that yet. :P
XHawk87 said May 22, 2013 11:10:44
We live in hope :)
matt.schillinger said May 28, 2013 03:04:27
Well, there is the Mars One mission for those that want to prepare for a life long mission. ;)
Login below to reply: