Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Proper reference

posted Jun 10, 2013 17:14:04 by matt.schillinger
Hi everybody!

I am hoping that as a community we can work out something that is a bit missing from mission scripting ATM: a more fully featured reference.

I realize that the txt reference is in the install, but it seems that tere are details and gotchas that are missing. In some cases, documentation details haven't been updated properly (like enemy ships not being able to go invisible to science as an example).

I know that Thom is busy building up the future of Artemis, so I thought that maybe we could all work together to fix up some deficiencies in the scripting docs. I am proposing everyone that is a somewhat experienced scripter or better go over to
artemiswiki.Pbworks.com, find the scripting reference, and update one or two entries. Include any gotchas, or note where the documentation is out of date or inaccurate. If everyone does a little, we can get a lot done!

Having a reference is a lot better than having newbies try out functionality that doesn't work, and then the coder gets frustrated with their progress. As a current newbie, it is frustrating asking questions about things that are documented. I always think I must be dumb because things aren't working as the spec says they should.

Another potential benefit could be that the documentation repository can even become a place for Thom to check on any errors in the mission scripting doc file.

Anyway, I am going to be putting some time into updating the action and condition documentation that is already on the wiki. I hope that some of you will join me so that we can really make it a solid reference!

Thanks!
[Last edited Jun 10, 2013 17:16:22]
page   1
2 replies
matt.schillinger said Jun 11, 2013 19:12:28
I have started by getting all of the reference information for all command actions and conditions entered into the wiki, with the 1.702 documentation base for scripting.

While that provides nothing new, it does offer a potential benefit. Now, for each function (command or condition) has its own wiki page, where notes, sample snippets, and ideas about novel ways to use that element can be documented in the comments of the page.

I am thinking something like php.net's documentation, where comments help explain the programming function use. This provides a better single source than forums, which over time get buried and hard to find things.

Without further delay, I present the updated Artemis Wiki Mission Scripting Reference!

http://artemiswiki.pbworks.com/w/page/51088806/Mission%20Scripting
[Last edited Jun 11, 2013 19:13:24]
shane said Jun 14, 2013 12:23:45
Thanks a ton for all the work you have done Matt. I've recently started scripting and all your work on the Wiki has been invaluable to me. Keep up the great work.
Login below to reply: