Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Dynamic ship naming

posted Jun 11, 2013 14:50:44 by matt.schillinger
Has anyone figured out a trick to dynamically name an object? I believe that I've got everything else dynamic, but when i look at science, instead of it parsing the variable, all the enemies have the same name, which is the name of the variable.
page   1
7 replies
RussJudge said Jun 11, 2013 16:38:28
This link: http://px2owffng8.embed.tal.ki/20130111/custom-ship-descriptionsscience-text-2234099/
discusses the use of set_ship_text, which accomplishes what you are wanting.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

matt.schillinger said Jun 11, 2013 16:41:53
Awesome! That's just what I needed. I just hadn't read through set_ship_text close enough. Thanks!
matt.schillinger said Jun 11, 2013 17:04:47
Oh. I spoke too soon. I think I should provide more clarity as to what I am trying to do. Unfortunately set_ship_text isn't accomplishing it.

I would like to use a variable value to name a ship. in this case, 'enemy_count' is a variable that is tracking the number of enemy ships created. it is just a number. Unfortunately, the 'name' attribute in create object, and the rename attribute for set_ship_text do not seem to support using variable substitution. Instead, all the ships are named (in my example) 'enemy_count'.
[Last edited Jun 11, 2013 17:06:05]
RussJudge said Jun 11, 2013 17:31:42
Unfortunately, no--only objects and variables that accept numeric values can use a variable to be defined. objects and variables that require string values (such as the name of a ship) must use literal strings, not variables.

Perhaps it's something Thom will do for version 2, but that's unknown at this time.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

badgeguy said Jun 12, 2013 01:52:25
My solution (see: Mission: Invasion) was to create a library of enemy ships to be created with a variety of names and randomly create the ships from the library.

The downsides to this are:
  • file size
  • performance of the script due to said file size, and
  • an inability to specifically reference any enemy ship due to the potential that is does not exist or is not where it is expected.
[Last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:55:40]
badgeguy said Jun 14, 2013 00:39:41
I am amazed at how much there is to learn with this language every time I read through these forums. Leaving a ship name blank upon creation will give it a random identifier. This could easily be incorporated into my code to reduce the size of it dramatically. It just means that if I want specific craft to trigger, I need to create the names and hard code them into the scenario.
matt.schillinger said Jun 14, 2013 00:58:11
Oh! Well, that is an option for random ships with default Ai stack. Thanks again!
Login below to reply: