Members | Sign In
All Forums > Troubleshooting

Resolution Dialog Box glitch when using windows Remote Desktop

posted Jun 23, 2013 18:43:18 by whsorensen
I am attempting to set up a dedicated server to which I will connect from my station via RDP to adjust game settings, missions, etc. However, when I try and start Artemis.exe, the resolution selection box has trouble figuring out what my screen resolution is, and just shows a jumble of overlapping characters and boxes (see attached), and I can't start the server. If I manually start the server locally, everything works fine, and I can then RDP to the machine and see what I need to see. The real problem arises because the server won't have a monitor attached to it, so setting it up manually becomes exceedingly impractical.

Is there a flag I can throw onto the artemis.exe startup command that will force it to bypass the resolution box and go directly into fullscreen windowed mode? I've tried playing around with stuff like artemis.exe -fullscreen, but it still pulls up the dialog box. Thoughts?
page   1
4 replies
RussJudge said Jun 24, 2013 12:10:16
It looks like it might be detecting the correct resolution (it looks like it might be something like 1600x1050 from the image), but it is simply having trouble rendering it. Did you try RDP in on Full Screen, which you can select from "Display" under the "options" drop down? That might solve your problem.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

LawsonThompson said Jun 27, 2013 03:31:48
If there's any possible way to use something other than RDP, you might have better results. RDP tries to create a virtual desktop and doesn't always permit apps to detect resolution.

Try using VNC, Splashtop, or TeamViewer. With these, you are connecting to the console session and can manually set the resolution of the desktop after you connect if necessary.
whsorensen said Jun 29, 2013 01:12:21
RDP was on fullscreen, and I have since tried it on lower resolutions, but with the same result.

However! The VNC technique does work. (Don't know why I didn't think of that!) Makes sense, as it's being fully rendered on the other machine and just duplicated. I'll use that from now on. Thanks!
lucas99801 said Jul 07, 2013 17:10:26
I'm curious what your plan is for running the server. Is it going to be running 24/7? If so ate you going to manually login and reload after every session or use a continuous mission file and adjust settings/restart with GM commands?
Hosting a Mumble (Murmur) server @ tsnfenrir.no-ip.org
Having trouble connecting to the TeamSpeak channel: http://tsnfenrir.no-ip.org/ts3
Helm Script for Numerical heading input: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10193809/ArtemisHelmFSW.zip
Twitter: @lucas99801
Facebook: /lucastarnold
Login below to reply: