Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Custom ships internal systems locations.

posted Jun 25, 2013 19:54:10 by JoshHawley
I am having a lot of trouble getting the systems in the right spots. to be fair, my mesh is pretty complex. The auto generated systems are basically a line down the middle of the ship, and, when I try to move stuff around, I can position it on 2 axes but the third axis will move off where I put it. Is there a way to specify the coordinates(x,y,z) manually? Is one of the files in a format that can be edited?

Also, Is the whole ship limited to one texture file?
page   1
2 replies
JSpaced said Jun 26, 2013 10:51:45
Easy question answered first: Yes, the ships are limited to one texture file.

I've struggled with the adding points system. The distance between grid points is constant, so if your custom mesh is huge and you use art scale to render it smaller, the .snt file is created according to the mesh size.

I find the easiest way to add points is to auto-generate, then use the generated points as jump-off points for the new ones. It takes a bit of trial and error, but basically, move the int editing view so it's something like isometric view (three-quarters view I think it's called) so you can see the model in three axes.

Move your mouse until it is over and highlights the nearest existing point to where you want to add one. Hold shift then slowly move your mouse with the red circle until you have it in place. Click. Grit your teeth, right-click to delete it and try again.

I don't know of any other way to edit the .snt files directly.

Did you work out how to place x,y,z coordinates in the rear half of your custom ship too?

J
[Last edited Jun 26, 2013 11:17:25]
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
JSpaced said Jun 26, 2013 11:16:58
Actually have just found the bizarre point movement controls too. Highlight a point, hold down Ctrl and then either left-click drag or right-click drag.
I'm clearly doing something wrong because it doesn't go anywhere I want it to.

It'd be really cool if Vorus, Martok or MarkBell got on this thread because they've been really successful at creating custom ships with good .snt files.
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
Login below to reply: