Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

PC version 1.702 and iOS version 1.701 dont work together

posted Jul 09, 2013 20:35:15 by Raleigh
are they ever going to update the iOS version? or is there another way around this? I used them all together just fine before the 1.702 update. Now i can't go back to the 1.701, the install files i bought are 1.70version and the Ipad version never seems to update. Am i an idiot missing something? Or do i have to just wait until the iOS version updates? Thanks!
page   1
4 replies
JanxJelantru said Jul 09, 2013 22:15:06
Good question. I don't know why it don't work.

I would advise for the developers, to adopt a versioning pattern that reflects compatibility across platforms. Kind of tricky probably, but here's an idea.

Reserve the Major/Minor numbers for pure compatibility.

So PC 1.70 and iOS 1.70 are compatible with each other.

Use the sub number to reflect a patch change that doesn't interfere with cross compatibility.

So 1.70.1 is compatible with 1.70.2 The 2 versions reflect bug fixes that are not catastrophic if the clients don't match.

In that light, 1.71 and 1.72 are NOT compatible.

As generic observation, maintaining cross-compatibility between clients with differing versions is very complicated. I would always use matching versions and reduce the risk as a user.

RussJudge said Jul 10, 2013 17:42:01
The PC version 1.702 should play okay with the iOS and Android version 1.701. At least, my Android client (1.701) works fine with my PC 1.702. Are you experiencing specific problems?

There never was a version 1.701 release for the PC. This was only release to the iOS and Android versions, and this was the first and only version (currently) released to iOS and Android.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

EM3.Kotori87 said Jul 25, 2013 02:59:16
I am also having difficulty getting 1.701 on my iphone to work with 1.702 on my PC. While I can connect, the iphone does not allow me to get to the various main screens once the game begins.
There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count...
badgeguy said Jul 25, 2013 18:02:30
@EM3.Kotori87

Are you getting a screen listing nothing but tabs? If so, the game is working properly. The way you access the multiple screens for each of the stations is first by selecting the tab at the top. Depending on the phone model you have, this can take upwards to 5 seconds to respond. Once selected, you would now swipe your finger from the right side of the screen to the left side of the screen to reveal the first portion of the console. In the case of Helm, you would see the speed controls, heading control, and zoom control. Swiping from right to left again will show the controls for reverse, shields, request dock, and the main view screen controls as well as the ship statistics. Another swipe right to left will reveal the ship damage indicator, and a final swipe right to left reveals the help screen.

Reversing this process with swipes left to right will cycle through all of these screens in reverse order until you return to the main screen, that of the console selection, the one with the tabs at the top. Once there, you can select the console you desire and start the process over again.

I am running this on an iPhone 4 (not the 4s) and it is unusable. Taps take 3 to 5 seconds to respond. Additionally, and more often than not, a swipe will be interpreted as a tap someone on the active screen and activate some feature of that screen instead of moving to the next panel. Your experience may vary depending upon the model you are using, but I would not expect the game to run even to the elevated level of moderately poorly under anything other than the iPhone 5 at current.

Good luck.

p.s. The version warning can be ignored. There is nothing in any version of the games on any of the platforms from 1.70x that differs in anyway that keeps them from connecting and properly sending and receiving information, with the exception of 1.700000 on the desktop that does not allow for custom named ships to connect and will cause the server to crash.
[Last edited Jul 25, 2013 18:10:52]
Login below to reply: