Members | Sign In
All Forums > Development

V2.0 civilian ships: The Cargo Vessel

posted Jul 09, 2013 14:58:34 by ThomRobertson
I've gotten 4 new civilian ship models for the V2.0 of Artemis; the cruise liner, the science vessel, the transport, and the cargo vessel. These civvy ships will make each game more complex and interesting (hopefully).

But in the existing version of Artemis, "neutral" ships are bone stupid, and (unless ordered otherwise) proceed in a straight line to the edge of the map. So I'm hoping YOU can suggest missions, behaviors, and situations that you would like to see for these ships.

This week, let's look at the Cargo Hauler.

Creator of Artemis
page   1
9 replies
Dispaminite said Jul 09, 2013 15:46:51
Well, the Cargo ship's most likely behavior is to move between stations and friendly ships at a random pattern, delivering supplies between them.

For orders, they could have a predetermined limited supply of missiles and power cells that if they meet up with the players ship, restock the ship. I'd limit it, so they don't make new ones, but perhaps when they stop at a station, they restock themselves.
Cipelli said Jul 11, 2013 18:24:09
Agreed with Dispaminite. As long as they send a comms message so players can keep track of moving resources I think it'd work - you wouldn't want to head to DS1 for some precious nukes and find the cargo ship has taken them further away. It'd really help as well because you could order them to deliver straight to you, saving time if you're across the map and need to meet halfway.
Captain A. J. Cipelli
USS Covenant (NCC-85719)
Launch year 2382
Dispaminite said Jul 11, 2013 18:28:59
Cargo ships can, like stations, have a status request for Comms, which will indicate supplies on the ship. Plus when they stop at a station, Comms can hear their chatter with the station about what they're unloading and loading.

Plus Comms can here chatter between NPC ships and the cargo ship, indicating requests for supplies, and or assistance. the Cargo ships can also respond back with a basic "heading to DS4, will rendezvous with you, after dropping off their supplies."
AdmlBaconStraps said Jul 12, 2013 07:49:41
I mostly like the model but the front 'Bridge' part of the ship looks too busy for me.. Cargo ships have traditionally run with very little crew and the viewports on the front make it look like a small town is on board..

Other than that, I don't have anything more to add that I didn't say in the transport thread..
Hissatsu said Jul 15, 2013 16:22:45
I'd rather have them randomly pop from outside the map, on a course towards allied base. They should either pop somewhere where enemies are nearby (and enemies switch to intercept), or have enemies spawn after them at some delay and go after them at higher speed. So you have to quickly save the transport. If you succeed, they should transfer to you their supplies (nukes, ecm, and random ship upgrade like shield gens/coolant) and deliver remainder to the base (comms can change which one).
Dispaminite said Jul 17, 2013 19:30:35
That would be a good random element for anyone of the civilian vessels. Not all the time, otherwise you expect it, but randomly (say 50/50), and at a random time in the game. Rescuing them gives a benefit, depending on the ship.
Mike_Substelny said Jul 18, 2013 13:25:57
How about this:

At the start of each Invasion Mode mission, one of the stations starts out with a very limited supply of homing, mine, EMP, and nuke torpedoes. That station notifies the players that is is expecting a transport to reach the sector in (random number) minutes.

After (random number) minutes the transport spawns on the map edge, but an extra Skaraan also spawns with its AI set to favor killing transports.

The transport will NOT respond to Comms orders until after it arrives at its destination. If the destination station is destroyed before the transport arrives then this condition is voided and the players can divert the transport to another station.

Once the transport successfully arrives at its destination, that station receives a treasure trove of torpedoes. In effect, the most undesirable station suddenly becomes the most desirable station.

Thereafter the empty transport is useful as bait. Enemies may chase it.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
MarkBell said Jul 18, 2013 16:40:35
+1 ^^
Captain said Jul 18, 2013 19:09:41
motion seconded....all in favor say aye.
To Mankind
And the hope that the war against folly may someday be won, after all

Isaac Asimov
Login below to reply: