Members | Sign In
All Forums > Help

Helmsman with multiple joysticks/peripherals

posted Jul 22, 2013 03:21:21 by EM3.Kotori87
Ahoy there! I recently started playing Artemis SBS, and am loving it. So far I have played as Weapons, Science, and Engineering in online play. I'd like to try Helmsman, but am having difficulty. I also play a combat flight sim called Rise of Flight, where I fly twin-engine heavy bombers. My PC is set up as a very nice sim-pit, with joystick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant, TrackIR head-tracking, etc. This is great for flight sims, since I can easily adjust the numerous controls necessary to keep a huge twin-engine biplane bomber in the air. However, when I try to play as the Helmsman in Artemis, the game seems to be picking up some different control axes than what I'd like. How do I tell the game to read the X/Y inputs from my joystick, rather than the left and right toe-brakes on my rudder pedals?

Also, how do I check and configure the hotkeys for the different positions? I had several people tell me tonight that U and I are the hotkeys for raising and lowering shields, but they did not work for me and almost got my crew killed during a BvB duel.

Thanks!
-EM3 Kotori87
There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count...
page   1
4 replies
stonefish said Jul 22, 2013 12:05:51
All the controls are defined in .\controls.ini
I haven't tested, but I'm guessing your pedals are "joystick 0" and your stick is "joystick 1". The default binding is
ANALOG_RUDDER = UI_INPUT_JOY0_AXIS0
Incrementing that to JOY1 might work.

Similarly, you can check all the hotkeys in there.

TOGGLE_SHIELDS = UI_INPUT_KEY_Q
RAISE_SHIELDS = UI_INPUT_KEY_K
LOWER_SHIELDS = UI_INPUT_KEY_L
niranth01 said Jul 22, 2013 17:35:25
I used the software included with my CH flight yoke to map the buttons. I don't keep the pedals attached.
megamark16 said Jul 23, 2013 02:11:50
I've been using one of these bad boys and I'm loving it! I use the joystick for left and right, and the buttons on the joystick for Request Docking/Shields Up and Down/Reverse. I use the throttle axis for impulse, and the buttons on the throttle for the different warp levels. I've played on a different setup before with just a joystick, where all of the buttons on the joystick itself were used for warping, but I prefer to keep both hands busy for the Helmsman, in an effort to be more immersive.
EM3.Kotori87 said Jul 24, 2013 01:54:32
Thanks, I will check the controls.ini file and try out the suggested codes.
There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count...
Login below to reply: