Members | Sign In
All Forums > 20-Front

TSN RP Community Experience 7/20

posted Jul 22, 2013 23:37:02 by Swift
After being introduced to Artemis a few times at booze gaming parties (mostly board games but Artemis is set up and played earlier in the day) I decided I wanted to play more of Artemis but in a more serious setting. Although, don't get me wrong, Artemis is also great for the booze parties too!

I found this group of players that call themselves the TSN RP Community. I've joined up with them and I'm having lots of fun these past couple Saturdays playing with people dedicated to learning the game and really pushing the ship to it's limits. I can't wait to take on difficulty 11!

As a new-comer, I'd like to say to any other newcomers to not take the RP too seriously. Yes, respond with "Yes Captain" or "Understood Sir" and if you need to go before the session is over somebody up the chain of command will "Send you on a secret mission" or have you "dropped off at DS9" to help the station work properly, but the main point is to PLAY the game and push yourself to be better, not role-play.

Yet... role-playing can be a bit of fun too!

The following is a report, of sorts, from Cadet Helmsman Swift on his first mission on duty as a member of the TSN RP Community. We played several games. The "report" is on the first where we had two ships work together but we also went head to head or what is known as BvB (I assume Base vs Base).

1st Mission: Battlecruiser and Light Cruiser combo

Role: Helm / Light Cruiser

Report:
The ship felt sluggish during the first few moments of our mission where we took a few shots at a single enemy but left it to the Battlecruiser to finish off as we went to collect an anaomly and continued up until we met back up to support the Battlecruiser again. I attribute this sluggishness to a re-acclimation of the crew to their ship; greasing the wheels, setting up presets, that sort of thing because the ship handled beautifully afterwards.

After our rendezvous, the dual bombing run was a complete success! We decimated the entire entourage of ships. The Battlecruiser went through first, taking the brunt of their assault and deployed its mines. We followed through in the Light Cruiser while the enemy was reloading, mopping up with more mine detonations. Excellent setup, excellent execution, and excellent follow-through as both ships spun about to go in had they survived. If there were anything to nitpick, it would be that I had to turn off the shields on our way to the next engagement which is commonly the Tactical officer’s job.

The enemy ships in the second bombing run were too spread requiring us to mop up after. Our pincer maneuver worked perfectly, maneuvering each ship to the each side of their line; however, I couldn't help but think that our lasers were not supported enough by engineering as our Light Cruiser only defeated the one ship while the Battlecruiser chewed through three! Or perhaps our target wasn’t nearly as damaged from mines as their three?

For our third engagement, we were without our Battlecruiser and the Captain decided to do something special for the carriers we were to face… We lured the next enemy fleet into the black hole beautifully! The Captain’s orders were precise with perfect timing. Easy to follow and execute his meaning. The Captain ordered me to kite the bombers, that had been launched prior to being grabbed by Priscilla, on the way to our next engagement. We loaded and launched an ecm and nuke into the new pack and prepped mines for the, still following, fighters. We launched the mines the moment they were ready but the fighters had closed the gap behind us.

I must explain the surrounding environment for anybody reading my report to fully appreciate the position we were in. We had the bombers to our stern, a large minefield to our bow and port (left), and the new fleet pack to our starboard, with yet another minefield further starboard. I could not kite the bombers any further without engaging the new fleet or detonating several mines in either field.

Unfortunately, the ship’s shields were not engaged when our mines cleared the fighters behind us resulting in the loss of all our rear systems. There was no movement in the ship besides a little wiggle in the steering so I positioned the incoming fleet such that their incoming damage was placed into our front shields with the port battery able to fire only. I did this in preparation for one of two orders from the Captain; an all-out brawl with our front lasers or for lasting as long as possible.

The Commander made it clear that our goal was to last as long as possible and to leave the zone as soon as any impulse or warp was available. Therefore, as soon as our front shields hit zero I turned a little bit more to place the enemy’s barrage into rear shields. During that time Tactical loaded another nuke and launched it into the battle-group.

Our ship exploded with 0% front / 60% rear shields due to, I believe, the nuke detonation 1000 meters off our port stern. However, I must admit that we could have died prior to detonation...

All escape pods, including my own, were safely launched and rescued.
Login below to reply: