Members | Sign In
All Forums > Development

Wave Motion Gun

posted Jul 22, 2013 04:17:43 by EM3.Kotori87
Although I am quite new to Artemis SBS, one of the first things I noticed was how similar the game is to Star Blazers, aka Space Battleship Yamato. Obviously, of course, since both drew at least some inspiration from the original Star Trek. However, there is one important element from many fantasy/Scifi universes that Artemis is missing. Death Star Superlaser, spinal-mount Mass Driver, Wave Motion Gun... whatever you call it, a centerline-mounted big ****ing gun has been a staple of science fiction since the 1970's. I would love to see some kind of centerline-mounted superweapon incorporated into the game at some point in the future.

For those of you who don't know what the Wave Motion Gun or the Space Battleship Yamato is, here they are:
Wave Motion Gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-1zWsXFNs
Space Battleship Yamato (battle of Pluto):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUMvk5Dr0wY
There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count...
page   1
6 replies
stonefish said Jul 22, 2013 10:42:38
Please describe how you'd implement the Wave Motion Gun in Artemis. Would it instantly destroy every object on the map, or just all your enemies?
MarkBell said Jul 22, 2013 11:43:46
If you're going for a long range, narrow arc, long recharge blaster, you can code that into the vessel data file right now. It'd be a regular beam, only hitting one ship, but make it as big as you like.

Scout's single beam:
<beam_port x="0" y="17.8" z="289.0" damage="12" arcwidth="0.4" cycletime="6.0" range="1000" />

Wave Motion Scout beam:
<beam_port x="0" y="17.8" z="289.0" damage="1500" arcwidth="0.1" cycletime="45.0" range="4000" />

One of the mods I've got cooking has this as a main ship:
[Last edited Jul 22, 2013 11:48:04]
Mike_Substelny said Jul 22, 2013 16:47:59
My next game mastered mission script "The Ultimate Weapon" has something like that. I plan on releasing it around the time of Artemis 2.0.

Installing and firing the weapon, which is called "The Quantum Vortex Disruptor," requires all of the crew to take special steps. For this reason all five consoles MUST have keyboards and the consoles MUST NOT be doubled up with each other.

Now I just need to issue all the crew members safety glasses every time they fire the QVD.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
deathbygiraffe said Jul 23, 2013 15:43:57
Wow Mike! that sounds freakin' AWESOME.
AdmlBaconStraps said Jul 23, 2013 15:59:25
Doesn't the dreadnought essentially have this?

I'm not actually 100% sure though - my crew tends to avoid the bigger ships..
EM3.Kotori87 said Jul 24, 2013 01:58:04
Mike, that sounds exactly like the Wave Motion Gun. I can't wait to hear how it works out. At some point, once I have become more comfortable with the game, I will have to try my hand at modding. Just gotta find some decent Gamilon ship models :D
There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count...
Login below to reply: