Members | Sign In
All Forums > Development

Request: Full audio for clients

posted Jul 25, 2013 06:49:48 by peters.jpp
Certain sounds (music, engines, enemy hits, etc.) are only played by the server, and not all computers. This is fine for LAN parties, but doesn't work for online games. It becomes more of an issue for missions with recorded audio -- only the person hosting the server will hear the audio. Could we have an option to play these sounds for clients?

(For those who do play online, is there a workaround for this? For instance, some way I could capture audio from Artemis and stream it online?)
page   1
4 replies
stonefish said Jul 25, 2013 08:33:44
Are you playing with a "Main screen" console, or just exclusively the [helm|weapon|eng|sci|comm] station?
AdmlBaconStraps said Jul 25, 2013 14:04:13
Yeah, if the other players have a main screen tab open (Or even a seperate window if you've got dual monitors) you'll get all the sounds
peters.jpp said Jul 26, 2013 04:40:43
Okay, I think I've isolated the problem. My setup for clients had one window with the main screen, and another window with whatever station(s). With this setup, the main screen window only plays audio when it has focus. The problem was fixed when I had the second window also have a main screen (at least, I started hearing enemy fire; I'll have to double check if I could hear other sounds like engines).

What really confuses me, and stopped me from isolating earlier, is that when I run server in one window and hel/wea/eng/sci/com in the other, I still hear the server sounds, even when the window doesn't have focus.

(I tested on a Windows Vista desktop and a Windows XP netbook, if that makes any difference. Could get more detailed version info if needed.)
stonefish said Jul 26, 2013 05:04:02
I'm using Windows 7, and all windows emit some kind of audio, whether or not they've got focus.
Login below to reply: