Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Artemis at conventions - how to?

posted Jul 26, 2013 02:59:50 by cmdr.westy
Need advice for setting up, licencing and running Artemis at gaming conventions. I am hopeful our local con will be interested in having Artemis and I plan to volunteer to help make that happen if possible.
So - please post advice, contacts, etc here. Or if it has been covered before please point me towards that information.
thanks,
Westy
page   1
1 reply
JanxJelantru said Jul 30, 2013 13:30:02
I'm surprised nobody else answered this. The Help section had some recent talk about conventions, this one guy in Russia did a real good job with his.

Here's a recap:
get a decent 100Mb/s switch and good Cat5 cables. Don't use wireless, there's too many other wifi things in the air at a convention and you'll get bad performance.

Bring good extension cords and power strips. 2 of each should be sufficient. The point is, it'll get power where you need it and if you forget them, you'll need them.

If you can get a room to run the game in (instead of being in the main hall with a thousand other things making noise, it'll be easier.

the "Enterprise" bridge layout isn't the best. Look at the russian convention thread and the project draco thread for some discussion on bridge layouts that worked best in practice. Note, we're talking about where to put each station, relative to the captain. Where you put them affects who can hear who.

You'll need 6 computers. They don't need to be awesome, just good enough to run the game. Prep and test them BEFORE you even head to the con.

Always leave one of your staff in the room at all times. This will prevent hacking, theft, and also help players with the game.

If you can find a good briefing video (or make a powerpoint slide deck), run that before the game starts on the main viewer. You need to be brief on each station, covering the bare minimums. Players can learn the rest as they go.

If you can afford a monitor for outside the game, setup a looping video showing game play and tutorial stuff on each station. This way, people waiting in line get trained while they wait.

Keep someone posted at the door, to watch the line, promote the game to passersby (answer questions, etc).

Have fun!
Login below to reply: