Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Star Trek Mods

posted Dec 22, 2010 19:06:06 by Martok42
Greetings. Vorus and I, have a created a Star Trek based Total Conversion mod for ASBS, and will be updating, adding thing, and patching it as time goes on. You can track our progress on our Forum. Here is the link: NegativeZone

=================================
Artemis Into the Breach Star Trek Mod Version 1.51
=================================

We have released an updated version of the Federation Mod and the released the Klingon mod to work with and utilize the features of Artemis 1.51! The mod is titled "Into the Breach" and we are very happy with how it turned out, and it has some very interesting features:

--THREE MODS IN ONE:
---One single batch file to run ANY version of the mod as well as run the stock game. Now, you get ALL THREE version of the mod (Starfleet, Klingon, Romulan) in a single download. And to run the mod, you simply double-click on the file named "Play Artemis", and then chose which version of the game you want to play, including all three of our mods, the stock game, or the demo version of our mod.

--Attacking enemy starbases:
---In the Klingon version of the mod, you can actually attack ENEMY STARBASES, which are even defended by other ships. But be warned, attacking a starbase alone is very dangerous. Using your allied ships to help you attack it might be wise.

--Fully balanced combat:
---Each ship in the game is based on the stats listed in the old FASA game guides from the early to late 1980s. Why? Because FASA was one of the premier sources for starship combat, and some of the most famous Trek PC games were based on the very same sources. (Starfleet Command, for isntance.) The end result is that ships may have more weapons than stock Artemis, including dual beams, aft beams, port and starboard weapons, and the like. However, care has been taken to ensure that these features do not take away from the tactical and strategic feel of the game

--1.51 features
---Makes use of the new Engineering systems and the gun camera!

--More torpedoes:
---Your ship is now equipped with many more torpedoes than the stock game. But be warned, while you may want to fire them more readily, they aren't as powerful as stock missiles, and bases don't always carry enough to full resupply you, especially the more powerful nukes and mines.

--More shielding and beam damage:
---Your ship can now take a pounding from several enemy ships at one time, and give out more damage with beams as well. This makes diving into combat and using beams a viable tactic.

--Full Demo support
-----A feature that has been requested several times is now here. All mod variants are now fully demo-ready.

--New Elite enemies
-----The Starfleet mod features a classic and powerful new Elite enemy that you will instantly recognize and most likely fear.
-----The Klingon mod features a new Elite enemy based on the novel "The Final Reflection". Find the kuve and remind them of their place in the quadrant.
-----The Rihannsu mod features an Elite enemy that will remind you of a classic character from ENT.

--Tech Document:
---Included with each mod is a PDF giving you detailed information about your own ship, allied ships, and most enemy ships that you will encounter. This document will give you an idea of each ship's abilities, so it is wise to look it over before playing the mod.

Known Issues:
---None that we know of. If you find any bugs, please let us know.

Download links:

===Download Into the Breach===

Here are some pics of what's in the mod!

Thanks for the support, and enjoy!

Special thanks to Thom Robertson for creating Artemis, and Redragon for letting us use the D7 model.
**This mod is not controlled authorized or distributed by Thom Robertson**
[Last edited Aug 08, 2011 23:23:27]
A vital mission, impossible odds and a ruthless enemy, what more could we ask for?

Follow the Star Trek, Into The Breach mod for Artemis: NegativeZone
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next last
79 replies
Vorus said Jun 20, 2011 02:31:11
Rick Knox

I thought I recognised his work on the Feds. I did a little work with him in modding Bridge Commander before he got hired to do some of the ships in Star Trek Legacy.
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

The unofficial Artemis Wiki, your best source for Artemis Information
Vorus said Jun 20, 2011 16:17:34
Okay, here's my system for taking the FASA data and translating it into something that makes sense in Artemis. And like I said, there are parts of it where it's a little silly, but I was basically looking for a way to end up with the same ratios as FASA had, and it wasn't always possible to translate everything straight to Artemis-style stats, so I had to fudge a few things. But I think I did a decent job of getting the feel of each ship. And if you have better ways of doing these things, I'd very much like to hear them, as I am always open to better game balance suggestions.

First off, I found all the FASA data on this website:

http://home.comcast.net/~ststcsolda/

So let's start with shields. Since I can't modify the hull strength of the ships in Artemis, I combined FASA's "Superstructure Points" and "Max Shield Power" into one thing, and used that for the Artemis shield strength. Simply adding them together wasn't enough, so I multiplied them by each other. So, for the Constitution, I used the MK II Constitution, and got a shield strength of 20*16, or 320. That's PER FACING, so 640 total. Using this same method for each ship seemed to result in pretty good balance. (I did have to artificially increase it one some of the Klingon ships, because FASA makes up for lack of defense with more ships, but we can't really do that in Artemis, so I just made some of the Klingons more capable in the defense area.)

Now, for the weapons, you MUST have the "FiringCharts.pdf" file available here:

http://www.tacticalstarshipcombat.com/FASA/publications.htm

This tells you the FASA range of each weapon, which the other website lists as a letter, in the "Firing Chart" section of each weapon type. To get the Artemis range of each beam weapon, I took the maximum range of each FASA weapon and multiplied that by 70. (For Torps, I multiplied by 145, because in fASA torps had shorter range than beams, but in canon Trek, it's the other way around, so I went with canon over FASA on that one.)

Now for Artemis "CycleTime" of the weapons, this is where it gets a bit silly. Since FASA had such a complicated system for power management, I had to find a way to translate that into the AI having no control over their power allocation at all, so I assumed a few things. Each ship has a "Total Power Units Available". Smaller ships usually maintain higher speeds than larger ships. Beams recharge faster when there is more "spare power".

So here's what I did: (You will need the GIGANTIC Master Equipment List, available here: http://www.tacticalstarshipcombat.com/FASA/construction.htm )

Take the "Total Power Units Avaiable" for a ship (The Connie has 44) and divide that by the numerator of the "Movement point ratio" for that same ship. (Connie is 4) That will simulate the idea that this ship is moving at a pace appropriate for its size. Now, you have a number that I used to basically simulate how much "spare energy" there is to charge the beams. (In this case 11) Now find the "Beam Weapon Type" for the ship. (In this case, FH-3) Look up that weapon in the Master Equipment List. Find the "e" field for that weapon type. (The document is tabbed, so you have to find the Beam Weapon tab first.) Now take that fist number and divide your "spare energy" figure by that number. (For the Connie you get 13.75) Now that number is fairly meaningless as far as Artemis is concerned, but it provides a point of comparison for the other ships. I simply chose a CycleTime that I felt provided good balance for the Connie and used it. (9.5) But since I now knew that 9.5 in Artemis equals 13.75 in my calculations, I now had a point of reference. So, for every other ship, I could do the same calculation and divide 13.75 by the resultant number and I would then multuiply 9.5 by THAT number and have the Artemis CycleTime for that new ship's beam weapons. (Looking through my ships, it seems that I didn't stick to this every time, so maybe another balance pass is needed.)

For beam weapon damage, I just used the stats straight from the "Maximum Power" field of the beam weapon listing on the FASA website. (The Connie is 5.) For some ships that seemed a littler underpowered, I would apply one of the damage modifiers.

As for the actual Artemis width of the firing arcs, I pretty much went with my gut there. I couldn't find any solid info about what each arc SHOULD be, as there were multiple versions of FASA arc charts. I stayed within the general parameters from FASA, so f/p was always a corner arc in the fore/port section, etc. But some ships have wider arcs than others, just based on how I thought that it should be.

For torpedo recharge time, I made that up too. I couldn't think of a good way to translate FASA's "Power To Arm" figure into anything useful.

Well, I think that's it. I don't know how helpful it is, and like I said, I'm very much open to a better system, but that's what I've used so far.
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

chris.hall225 said Jun 22, 2011 06:20:56
Gentlemen, just tried the federation mod and loved it. Defending against those klingon bastards was the best. Thx for the hard work and live long and prosper. Captain FutileChas; Artemis 1701
ThomRobertson said Jun 22, 2011 15:19:30
Vorus, Martok, please email me. I'd like to chat.
Creator of Artemis
Vorus said Jun 22, 2011 15:41:45
@chris.hall225: Thank you very much!

@ThomRobertson: Email is on it's way.
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

TreChipman said Jun 22, 2011 20:19:10
Thanks for the info, Vorus; I'll take a look and let you know if I have any thoughts (although my neurologist says that's unlikely after the accident).
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
Martok42 said Jun 22, 2011 21:06:28
@chris.hall225 Glad you enjoyed yourself! Thank you very much!

@ThomRobertson:Email sent.
A vital mission, impossible odds and a ruthless enemy, what more could we ask for?

ace2020boyd said Jul 16, 2011 02:09:28
I love this mod! I just tweaked the Phaser sound since im more of a TNG guy but anyway This mod is great. Will you guys make a TNG era type ships in the future?
Martok42 said Jul 16, 2011 12:25:57
This is something we've talked about, and honestly, no idea. We may at some point, but we can't really say at this point. But I am not sure we really have the skill for making TNG era ships. They are much more curvy, elegant, and complex.

Also, the game can't handle very many high-poly models, and it would be hard to make a good looking TNG era ship that isn't high-poly.

Vorus said Jul 16, 2011 20:57:19
Yeah, that's a popular request. And TNG is always the most popular era of Trek. (I'm surprised there isn't already a complete TNG mod.) I think if everything goes like it's going now, we'd eventually do a TNG mod, but it's not really on the radar yet. Once the game has the option of chosing your player ship, or something like that, it'd be something that more feasible. (In TOS, most Fed players want to play as just one ship, the 1701. In TNG, everyone has a different favorite. And I'm NOT going to make a mod where the hero ship is a Sovereign. :P )

Also, I'm a bit of a stickler on ship balance, and I know a LOT about how TNG era ships should be, weapons loadouts, etc. So, until we can really modify stuff like that to a certain level, it'd be a little weird for me to try to make TNG ships.

In any case, I don't think either of us is opposed to the idea at all, it's definitely something we're open to, just not right now.

As for our current Mod(s), just a little update, we're both working on making missions right now, so that's why there isn't a lot of exciting pics or anything popping up. So don't think the mod is dying, we're just not working on the flashy stuff at the moment. :D
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

TreChipman said Jul 16, 2011 23:59:22
Hey, Vorus, Martok42, can you guys PM me on Facebook when you get a moment?
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
Martok42 said Jul 17, 2011 05:15:45
I don't have a facebook account, as shocking as that is. So... perhaps email? Or on our website? I'm sorry, for the inconvenience.

Vorus said Jul 17, 2011 23:07:35
I didn't even know you could private message people on Facebook. I only have an account because I have to have one for work. I don't even have any friends. :P

EDIT: I have responded to your contact, though. Just letting you know so you don't think I'm ignoring you.
[Last edited Jul 17, 2011 23:05:00]
-----------
Khomerex nal Khesterex

Martok42 said Jul 29, 2011 03:26:34
Ok, at this time we would like to announce our plans for the 1.5 update of Into the Breach.

First off, it will all be compatible with the 1.5 version of Artemis; all enemies will have the gun camera targets, and all player ships will work with the new engineering station.

And a lot of our ships have gotten reskins and/or minor model updates.

One of the Big features of this update, will be that you will no longer have to download and install 3 separate mods. And they will also no longer overwrite anything from the stock version of Artemis. They will all now be in the same folder, and you can simply run the version you want straight from there. More info on this feature to come.

And in addition to all that, we will at some-point, (either at or soon after 1.5) release a player ship pack containing 9 new player ships to choose from! (Three from each race) And perhaps, we will be releasing these packs (perhaps enemy packs as-well) on a semi regular basis.

We aren't really sure when exactly you can expect this release, because it is a ton of work, but you can track our progress on our website for updates on our progress.
[Last edited Jul 29, 2011 03:26:51]

Mike_Substelny said Jul 29, 2011 17:48:55
You guys are wonderful. This community is lucky to have you.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Login below to reply: