Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

*New Mission* Encounter at FarPoint

posted Jan 22, 2013 23:52:18 by TravisHead
The Enterprise has been sent to the outer rim on a diplomatic mission to deliver an envoy of Federation diplomats to the mysterious FarPoint Station on Deneb IV.
The diplomats are there to consider the local inhabitants petition to join the Federation in exchange for use of their strategically important new station.

A word of caution, however, as the Deneb sector is very near to the Ferengi borders. While not a serious threat the Ferengi have shown some interest in the sector.
*Any Ferengi vessels are to be assumed hostile*

Based on the classic first and second episodes of Star Trek TNG this mission will pit the crew against an unusual adversary and may require a captain to be quick on his feet.
Strong emphasis on helm and communications.

There are 4 possible Victory outcomes, 2 major, two minor.

Mission created for Artemis v1.66
Updated for v1.7

DOWNLOAD
** https://www.box.com/s/h8mudfkx0pp43k5x9uao **

Newly Updated for Mark's StarTrek TNG Mod!
** https://www.box.com/s/3esn46d25a5lzgcdj7ae **

This is my first mission so any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks to Mike Substelny and bleep751 for their help in creating this mission!

Travis Head
[Last edited Jan 29, 2013 00:26:48]
page   1 2 3 4 5 next last
64 replies
JSpaced said Jan 23, 2013 09:44:30
Does this use Mark's TNG Mod?
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
TravisHead said Jan 23, 2013 12:31:34
No, it does not. Vanilla Artemis with the ship names changed.
T
**(EDIT: Mark's TNG Mod now supported. See link in description)**
[Last edited Feb 02, 2013 19:38:56]
Mike_Substelny said Jan 24, 2013 16:11:40
If you scripted the ship creations right then bet this mission would work with the TNG mod.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TravisHead said Jan 24, 2013 16:31:54
I would like to test that out some time. The last time I tried an ST mod (might not have been Marks) it failed to run but that was due to a version issue.
If I can get Mark's working at home I can try it out, run some tests. Be pretty sweet if it "just works".

Mike: can you be more specific about the ship creations? It's pretty basic; create player, name it Enterprise, set the power level and missile counts.
The only thing that makes this "Star Trek" is the ship and base names and the dialog.
T.
JSpaced said Jan 25, 2013 09:53:56
Hi Travis, there's an awesome Star Trek TNG MOD for which this script could easily be adapted by going through and changing the events that create ships/ stations etc.
Mark's TNG Mod

I'm working on a series of mission of my own but once done I may look at adapting Farpoint.

J
"We should give him the send-off he deserves. He died saving us all. Prepare a Rocket-Shed for immediate launch."
MarkBell said Jan 25, 2013 11:19:08
Well, the enemy ships in my mod have the standard race tags of enemy elite whalelover, etc. Some of the enemies are described with battleship, destroyer, etc, so you might be able to just drop the mod on your code and let it rip. There are multiple races ”Klingon”, ”Ferengi”, etc that would need to be called out in the mod to make sure the proper group of ships is called up. But, since the game finds the best tag match for ship creation, ”Ferengi large enemy” would summon a Marauder with my mod or just a ”large enemy” without my mod, picked at random from all available ”large” ”enemy” ships.
[Last edited Jan 25, 2013 11:39:18]
Mike_Substelny said Jan 26, 2013 01:26:21
Mark is right. If you script the enemies with both a race and Large Medium and Small then they will work with any mod, they just might not behave as you want them to behave.

To make them behave more in a more Next Generation-like manner you would need to specify the races used in Mark's vesseldata.xml file and make them either neutral or enemy. For example, your script could make the Klingons and the Federation allies. It could make EVERYBODY allies against the Borg. And so forth.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TravisHead said Jan 26, 2013 20:10:39
Sorry gents, not sure if it's something with my setup or what but the mod is just not stable enough. I had it working a couple of times and found I only needed to set the race keys on the enemies, also FP Station doesn't look "right" so it seems the mission on the whole *could* be run with the mode.
I just can't get it to run ANY missions consistently. Even those that come with Artemis crash the server upon starting.

As it is I won't be able to test this mission with Mark's MOD which is unfortunate given that it sounds like it's popular.

T.
MarkBell said Jan 27, 2013 13:02:40
Were you receiving a c++ assert error with pos.x and -space_size_w or something? I was running into that a bit last night for the first time, actually. I think it may be a problem in my v2 code, I'm looking into it post hate. I'll put the v1 link back up on the mean time (which hadn't ever given me the error).
[Last edited Jan 27, 2013 13:03:12]
TravisHead said Jan 27, 2013 14:46:42
No error, the application would simply stop responding and go white.
Found this in my event logs;
Faulting application name: Artemis.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50e9898b
Faulting module name: Artemis.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50e9898b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00093728
Faulting process id: 0x1680
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdfc01a40d70d1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Artemis\Artemis.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Artemis\Artemis.exe
Report Id: fc85914a-67f4-11e2-8a59-8c89a5562690

I have since reverted to vanilla Artemis and it seems to be working.
If this is an issue with the mod let me know when you get it sorted and I can re-test on my end.
travishead @ gmail . com
T.
MarkBell said Jan 27, 2013 15:56:13
Interesting. Are you running windows 7? The batch file does a bunch of file moves but if it's in the x86 folder it can't do everything due to admin privileges. I've moved my Artemis install to c:\Artemis instead, that avoids a lot of the admin privileges issues (I just moved the folders, Artemis is a self contained install).

Can you copy your install to a different folder and see if it works there?

This is a different issue than the one I've seen with V2, it sounds more like it's looking for a particular file and it's not seeing it.
TravisHead said Jan 29, 2013 00:23:09
Got it working. Installing at the root of C: did the trick.
I have tweaked it a bit for your mod and uploaded the tweaked copy.

Mostly cosmetic changes. Ferengi have been set properly, modified the FarPoint station look and feel (kinda like it).
I had to dumb down a group of Ferengi to adapt for the different ship stats in the mod, hence the separate upload. I'm thinking I might revisit the original and see if I can't get the ship class to read the way I want.
T
MarkBell said Jan 29, 2013 13:12:04
Dude, I just glanced at the .xml, your mission looks really epic. I can't wait to get the crew together to give this a spin! I presume comms is a lynchpin, as in most mods?
TravisHead said Jan 29, 2013 14:16:09
Yes, there is a lot of the story that comes in through the Comm.
It is intended for a full crew. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
T.
EricS.Macy said Feb 02, 2013 19:04:51
what ship and difficulty is this supposed to be run at?
Login below to reply: