Members | Sign In
All Forums > The Artemis Universe

Discuss the Arvonians

posted Apr 07, 2013 02:11:04 by Mike_Substelny

An Arvonian figher squadron leader.

From the Artemis Manual:

The Arvonians are a humanoid race most remarkable for their chameleon-like skin pigmentation. They prefer to run curving patterns of very bright colors across their faces, giving them a dazzling appearance that most humans find attractive. Arvonian males and females have the same slender build. Their culture is matriarchal, so their space ship captains and fighter squadron leaders are often women.

The Arvonian people regard their Royal Family fondly. A century ago the Arvonian race was united under the benevolent rule of Queen Sansha. As their culture spread to the stars governing became too complex for Sansha, so she decreed the construction of a super-intelligent master computer to assist her. That computer, whose name translates to “The Supreme Understander,” now runs the entire Arvonian government, deciding everything from war strategies to parking tickets.

Most humans think of Arvonian society as a computer-controlled dystopia, yet the Arvonians adore The Supreme Understander. In fact, they revere all computers and refuse to put them in danger. Whenever a TSN torpedo or Torgoth drone is fired Arvonians weep for the weapon’s onboard computer callously sent on a one-way mission. Thus the Arvonians use manned fighters instead of automated missiles.

Arvonians also love space whales. If they see you harm a space whale the Arvonians will fight to the death rather than allow you to live.

A Royal Palace where Arvonians may get an audience with the Royal Family. Arvonians may also come to a palace for ceremonial dealings with The Supreme Undersander, but for routine business they may communicate with The Supreme Understander in the privacy of their own homes.

Here is why the Arvonians are humanoid:

From Horatio Hornblower to Mata Hari to Howard Hughes's "Hell's Angels," some of the greatest tales of military derring-do involve seducing, infiltrating, stealing from, falling in love with, posing as, or selling out to the enemy. The Artemis universe deserves to have such adventures. Some day your crew might be called upon to deliver a human infiltrator behind enemy lines to steal an Arvonian fighter and fly it home. At the same time, you never know when an Arvonian spy might sneak aboard your ship to steal military secrets, sabotage your weapons, or worse . . .
[Last edited Apr 07, 2013 05:16:53]
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
page   first prev 1 2 3 next last
34 replies
AdmlBaconStraps said Apr 11, 2013 03:26:07
I was personally thinking of the cold war stories. Getting people out of West Germany.

More what I was getting at is that, yes, it can very easily be the hook for a great plot point and there are buckets of examples in real history/mythology you could draw on for inspiration even before you had to do any creative thinking as a scripter..

It was just you didn't seem sure it could work as a plot point was all
Mike_Substelny said Apr 11, 2013 03:40:52
Note that the technical term "plot point" refers to a specific tool in screen writing, not prose or interactive fiction (games). But in that context, yes, Arvonian pigmentation could be used to generate a plot point quite well.

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TaigiaReilly said Apr 11, 2013 04:16:35
If number of posts equals popularity then the Arvonians are now the most popular enemy race.
TreChipman said Apr 11, 2013 05:22:51
Tre, you have a brilliant strategy! That could make a great story!

Of course once word got out about your policy, Arvonian spies would select a different ship to infiltrate . .

Fine, let 'em go elsewhere. Also, it means we get a new AI personality every week.

/I quite enjoyed the one that spoke in the voice of Mel Blanc, by the way.
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
TaigiaReilly said Apr 11, 2013 05:53:12
Microsoft would make a fortune from Arvonian saboteurs.
TaigiaReilly said Apr 11, 2013 06:00:38
Thought that is a strange idea. If Arvonians are hold computers in such high regard to almost borderline on worship then wouldn't that make an intelligent enough Arvonian to use, let alone hacking to, a Terran computer system a rarity?
Mike_Substelny said Apr 11, 2013 12:19:17
I'm not sure I understand your question, Taigia. But I think you have a point: Arvonians must hold hackers in some esteem. They are somewhere between priests and brain surgeons.

Keep in mind that Arvonians don't believe AI is magical. They simply hold it in high regard, perhaps like Americans hold the American flag in high regard. Even though it is just a piece of cloth, the American flag is a special piece of cloth and we are offended when we see people abuse it. It's not a perfect comparison, so I'll try to come up with a better one.

AdmlBaconStraps said Apr 11, 2013 14:55:13
I suspect what Taiga was getting at is:

If the Arvonians hold computers in high regard, they would probably view hacking as some sort of desecration, therefore such hackers would be a rarity (at least, when pointed at Terrans) although their approach to their own systems may be a little different.
kwadroke said Apr 11, 2013 16:24:22
Arvonians may hold THEIR computers in high regard. They could think Terran computers are a desecration to the term Computer, therefore could hack those computers whenever possible.
Mike_Substelny said Apr 12, 2013 01:43:04
I suppose it depends on your definition of hackers. Let's say that Arvonian programmers are like high priests, white hat hackers are something like prophets, and black hat hackers are heretics or blasphemers.

It's not a perfect analogy, but there is no perfect analogy.

Incidentally, thank you for asking these questions. I need to be able to explain these things, otherwise stories set in the Artemis milieu won't make sense.

TaigiaReilly said Apr 12, 2013 06:08:24
That isn't the impression i got of them. We already have fanatical Kraliens. I hope the Arvonians are more sensible.
TaigiaReilly said Apr 12, 2013 06:12:14
Does being a matriarchal society effect their politics in anyway?
AdmlBaconStraps said Apr 12, 2013 21:53:09
That isn't the impression i got of them. We already have fanatical Kraliens. I hope the Arvonians are more sensible.

The way they hold computers in high regard simply strikes me as a more practical form of worship (Though I know that's not what you're going for Mike - just best analogy I can think of in a hurry). They know the computer probably knows best, so hold it's opinion in the highest regards. Every society does it in some form or another wether it's Kraliens with holy texts or Arvonians with computer code..

Does being a matriarchal society effect their politics in anyway?

I shouldn't think so. Short of the main players being female and all external contact being primarily with females.
TaigiaReilly said Apr 12, 2013 21:58:15
as a more practical form of worship

So I should just imagine them as futuristic apple nerds? Unwilling to make a guided missile because it ensures the destruction of an iPod?
Mike_Substelny said Apr 13, 2013 07:13:32
Taigia, I choose not to fully explain the reason behind the Arvonian relationship with Artificial Intelligence because USFP social psychologists don't yet understand it. It is a matter of historic fact that the relationship did not exist until after the Arvonians created The Supreme Understander. Previous to that they used AI in mundane and dangerous applications just as you and I do.

Earth's top minds explain this with three competing schools of thought:

1) Perhaps the Arvonians have a gamut of emotions that is naturally more passionate than humans. In addition to The Supreme Understander we know they have a fanatical love for their own Royal Family and an inexplicable love for Space Whales. Thus the Arvonians may simply be a race of galactic Romeos, quick, eager, and maybe even desperate to fall in love. When they discovered that they loved The Supreme Understander they took it to the extreme and declaired their undying love for all AI.

2) Perhaps the Arvonians have heightened parental instincts, and when they created The Supreme Understander the entire race viewed it as their perfect, ideal child. Thereafter they began to view more rudimentary AI as you and I might view babies. When a TSN ship launches a homing torpedo it might as well be hurling a human baby into space. It may not be an Arvonian baby, but the thought is still repugnant and fills any Arvonian heart with sadness.

3) Remember, some humans think of Arvonian society as a computer-controlled Dystopia. That school of thought says that The Supreme Understander uses its knowledge of Arvonian psychology, or perhaps even mind control, to manipulate their population into a form of AI-worshiping mass psychosis.

Login below to reply: