Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Star Trek: Epsilon Sector

posted Mar 27, 2012 05:16:03 by TreChipman
So, here's an idea of what's occupying my Saturdays lately...

The year is 2295.

The Klingons are now our friends.

The Romulans are probably not our enemies.

Our borders are secure.

For the first time in recent memory, the Galaxy is actually at peace.

And you're in a position where you can screw all of that up in an instant.

No pressure, though.

Enjoy the Big Chair, Captain.

[Last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:32:18]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
page   1 2 3 4 next last
50 replies
edmundrw said Mar 27, 2012 09:39:59
whhaaah? A new mission? Or series of missions? available when?
TreChipman said Mar 27, 2012 16:15:28
It's a series of linked missions taking place on the Federation border, post ST:VI/pre Next Gen. I'm quite a while away from a release date, but I'm having a lot of fun brainstorming it.
[Last edited Mar 27, 2012 16:15:46]

Visit Artemis Command!
edmundrw said Mar 27, 2012 16:17:25
I love it. Can't wait.
Cmdr.Brandr said Mar 27, 2012 17:25:12
SWEET! I look forward to it!
Commander Brandr
Commanding Officer of the ship Calamitous Intent

-------------------------------------------------------
Check our crews adventures at http://nerdneerdowells.com
TreChipman said Mar 29, 2012 08:23:15
Huh... Turns out that there's an app for that... It's flash, so it won't work on Apple devices, but it looks pretty cool on PC's and Android devices--content and stuff to come-- try entering "Input Fctn 111 Commit" for a preview.
[Last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:24:50]

Visit Artemis Command!
edmundrw said Mar 29, 2012 09:28:13
So what exactly is this? It's basically a tool for providing lore to the player for the missions? Looks really cool. I recognise that sector - that's Sol isn't it? Does Epsilon Sector use your multi-sector mission script as a base point?
LeeKeiserII said Mar 29, 2012 12:45:37
HOW COOL!! Good work!! :-)
TreChipman said Mar 29, 2012 15:46:17
Well, the tricorder is just me goofing off and playing with interface designs, but it's hooked into a pretty decent online information database which will probably be the basis for the in-game science/library computer thingy I've been tinkering with. I've got a crazy notion that a centralized location running Apache and Perl can probably talk to the game in real time by parsing the log files on a regular basis, which could trigger events that could be read or enacted upon by something like the tricorder app.

And yes, that is Sol, but it's just a placeholder for stuff to come later-- Outside of a brief visit to the Utopia Planitia shipyards for the shakedown cruise and a trip to [REDACTED] during a flashback mission, the mod will mostly take place in Epsilon Sector, which is currently sporting about a dozen different locations, each of which should have their own map. So yes, it'll (probably) be a multi sector thing, but with warp mechanics rather than jump points.
[Last edited Mar 29, 2012 16:05:55]

Visit Artemis Command!
edmundrw said Mar 29, 2012 16:38:37
Tre, you beautiful madman, you. This sounds too good to be true. Seems to me that if you can't get the fancy interfacing with the game thing to work then you could always use comms to provide the 'access codes' to the data relevant logs as and when they are relevant. (perhaps starfleet have encrypted the Meridian's computer info in the event that the ship falls into enemy hands)

TreChipman said Mar 29, 2012 18:24:23
I dunno about beautiful, but madman is definitely appropriate.

Anyway, currently, the database supports a session, event,and item ID, as well as a trigger code,so from a mission script or the GM's console, you could theoretically make things available to, say, the bridge's library computer application that could be sent to, say, a tricorder app running on a wi-fi connected tablet in one of Lee's LBE laser tag locations, which, come to think of it, could probably use some sort of Arduino type IR sensor to speak back to it-- but I'm probably getting ahead of myself and well out of my skill set.

But yes, it has some potential.

By the way, today's code is "INPUT FCTN 782 COMMIT".
[Last edited Mar 29, 2012 18:43:38]

Visit Artemis Command!
TreChipman said Apr 07, 2012 05:37:32
Today's code is "INPUT FCTN 412 COMMIT". It'll give you a little bit of info about one of the sector's more pivotal locations.
[Last edited Apr 07, 2012 07:31:20]

Visit Artemis Command!
TreChipman said Apr 14, 2012 08:17:17
Almost ready for launch ...

[Last edited Jan 01, 2013 20:43:28]

Visit Artemis Command!
edmundrw said Apr 14, 2012 16:04:10
Squeee!
TreChipman said Apr 19, 2012 23:39:00
Today's code is "INPUT FCTN 718 COMMIT"

Visit Artemis Command!
TreChipman said May 22, 2012 22:55:56
The first mission is working pretty okay, but it's still a little rough around the edges. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving out of state, so if I don't finish it by the end of the weekend, it won't be until after the first week of June before I can get back to it. The good news is that sitting in an empty apartment for a week with nothing but an inflatable bed and my laptop should give me lots of time to outline the other missions in the series.

Visit Artemis Command!
Login below to reply: