Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Star Trek: Epsilon Sector

posted Mar 27, 2012 05:16:03 by TreChipman
So, here's an idea of what's occupying my Saturdays lately...

The year is 2295.

The Klingons are now our friends.

The Romulans are probably not our enemies.

Our borders are secure.

For the first time in recent memory, the Galaxy is actually at peace.

And you're in a position where you can screw all of that up in an instant.

No pressure, though.

Enjoy the Big Chair, Captain.

[Last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:32:18]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 next last
50 replies
TreChipman said Aug 21, 2012 04:14:42
Sure thing! Took me a while to figure it out, but this ended up being the best (and, turns out, easiest) way to do it:

In Audacity 2.01, open up the file, select all (left click the grey block on the left)
Select Effect: Glame Bandpass Filter: Center Freq 3589.0, Bandwith: 618.0, Stages: 3
Select Effect: Normalize: Check Remove and DC, Normalize Maximum, set to 0.0 dB

After that, I exported it as an MP3 and ran it through a converter (I use MP3 WMA Converter Plus, but I'm sure there's better software out there) to save it as a .wav with a sample frequency of 11025 Hz, 8 bits per sample-- this reduces the file size by 90% from what Audacity exports Wavs normally and it sounds pretty much identical.

Visit Artemis Command!
dhmholley said Aug 21, 2012 23:57:07
Ah, that explains it, it must be a new filter in 2.0.1 - I was using 2.0.0. I'll definitely remember it for the future, thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, seems it's not included by default but is a part of the LADSPA plugin set available here:
http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/LADSPA_plugins-win-0.4.15.exe
[Last edited Aug 22, 2012 00:06:20]
The unofficial Artemis Wiki - your handy reference guide to just about everything.
DannySullivan said Jan 11, 2013 06:03:55
Is there a time frame for when episode 2 may be out? :D Episode 1 rocked our socks when we played! Very nicely done!
TreChipman said Jan 11, 2013 16:48:54
Glad you liked it, DannySullivan. Episode 2 is pretty much done (I've started work on Episode 3, in fact), but the mod no longer seems to play nice with 1.70, so I've got to troubleshoot that before I can release it. I'm also hoping I can get some voice actors involved prior to release, because it really amps up the experience, IMHO.

Visit Artemis Command!
RussJudge said Jan 16, 2013 14:22:07
I think I figured out the problem with Epsilon Sector with Artemis 1.7. Ran into it testing my Mod Loader last night.

In your vesselData.xml file, near the beginning, in one of your comments you have "--" as part of the comment. In Xml, this is invalid in a comment, and I believe that is what is blowing up Artemis. When I removed it, Epsilon Sector worked fine (well, at least it loaded--I didn't play it out).
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

DannySullivan said Jan 16, 2013 15:52:19
TheChipman, much love on the work you've done. My crew and I are all still running 1.66 until we are sure we can upgrade without the mod being affected. Or at least an easy work around. If you have a copy pretty much ready, my crew and I are itching to play it if you want to send me a copy. We can beta test it for you and give some feedback.
TreChipman said Jan 16, 2013 16:54:45
I've made some major revisions to the mod (btw, RussJudge, I think I found the problem you mentioned, but if you can give me the line number of the offending "--", I can verify I got it), so I'll be releasing an updated version of Episode 1 as well as a beta for Episode 2 in the very near future; I've got a few kinks I want to work out first though. Hopefully, I'll be ready to go in the next day or two.

Visit Artemis Command!
RussJudge said Jan 17, 2013 20:10:27
Well, I'm not sure what kind of editor you are using, because your XML data looks kind of funky in Notepad. Visual Studio reports in on line 15, column 37.

This is the full comment as it is in your file:
<!-- There's just the Miranda class-- it's a design decision -->

It's that "--" after "Miranda class" which is the problem.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

TreChipman said Jan 18, 2013 08:32:04
Thanks, RussJudge -- I did a sweep through to find extra "--", but somehow missed that. It'll be updated in the next official release (actually, it's updated now over here, but the next release will have voice work for all the speaking parts).

As far as editors, I'm using UltraEdit32, but I suspect the funkiness you mention is probably caused by fact I've got it set to save in Unix line returns instead of DOS (I use it for work because it does some pretty nifty stuff). Have you tried Notepad++? It's pretty robust, and free.

Visit Artemis Command!
Charlie said Jan 18, 2013 10:20:09
way cool
EricMallory said Mar 22, 2013 02:41:30
We played some missions this weekend, including this one. Last week, I was reading through this forum looking for missions to play and wishing there was more detail about the missions to help me decide. In an attempt to help the next crew decide if you want to play this mission, let me provide those details.

Latest version of Artemis verified it works on: 1.702
We had trouble loading the mod on all stations. We kept getting errors when we ran the backup first and then the install. It worked when we just ran the installer.
Beautiful mod. Wonderful to look at.
More of a shakedown exercise than a full-on mission.
Loved the voice acting.
Didn't mind the computer-generated voice acting.
Would like to provide voice talent for some of the computer-generated voices. Where do I send the files?
Would like a separate volume control for the mission sounds/voices. We had to run the 1st sound several times to get the sound at a level we could hear the voices and the rest of the game's volume was not too loud.
Looking forward to Ep2.

I'd like to provide more feedback, but it's spoiler-like. Anyone know how I can post on the forum and hide it from those who don't want Spoilers?
TreChipman said Mar 22, 2013 05:12:12
Thanks for the feedback, Eric-- if you'd like, you can send me more in-depth stuff without fear of spoilers by going through here. I unfortunately haven't had a lot of time lately to work on the mod-- Mission 2 is pretty much done (I've even got some very talented live voice actors!), but that wily Thom Robertson character keeps adding cool stuff to the scripting language that makes me want to go back and tweak things... Anyway, I'd love to hear your feedback, good or bad-- it'll only make for a better experience in the end. Thanks!

Visit Artemis Command!
michaelhermanns said Apr 02, 2013 19:28:54
Tested the beginning of the mission. The intro gave me goosebumps! Really awesome. Can't wait to play it with a full crew. Well done, sir. Well done!
TreChipman said Apr 02, 2013 21:32:28
Thanks! I've got some feedback by EricMallory I want to work into the mission (I won't spoil it, but his crew basically IMMEDIATELY figured out a way out thing that I didn't account for, as players are wont to do from time to time), but I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or comments you have to contribute, too!
[Last edited Apr 02, 2013 21:38:28]

Visit Artemis Command!
AdmlBaconStraps said Apr 03, 2013 11:15:28
I'm a little husky at the moment (Coming down with a chest infection), but if you need a voice actor, I did about 6 voices for a mission that never made it out here
Login below to reply: