Members | Sign In
All Forums > Mission Scripting

Star Trek: Epsilon Sector

posted Mar 27, 2012 05:16:03 by TreChipman
So, here's an idea of what's occupying my Saturdays lately...

The year is 2295.

The Klingons are now our friends.

The Romulans are probably not our enemies.

Our borders are secure.

For the first time in recent memory, the Galaxy is actually at peace.

And you're in a position where you can screw all of that up in an instant.

No pressure, though.

Enjoy the Big Chair, Captain.

[Last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:32:18]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 next last
50 replies
Mike_Substelny said May 23, 2012 02:37:25
If your new state happens to be Ohio I am here to help, Tre.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TreChipman said May 23, 2012 05:05:43
I'm not moving to Ohio; sadly, I'm cursed to serve out my immediate future on the sugar white beaches and cerulean blue waters* of Florida's Gulf Coast, but I certainly wouldn't say no to some beta testers, Mike!

*Full disclosure: BP gave me a HUGE check to say that.

Visit Artemis Command!
Mike_Substelny said May 25, 2012 00:12:05
I name not important. You seek I. Message received. Available ship stands by.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
TreChipman said Jul 14, 2012 07:36:42
Several successful runs of the first mission tonight... I just need to tweak some bat files and Episode 1 is good to go...

... well, for beta, anyway...

Visit Artemis Command!
PirateGent said Jul 15, 2012 14:51:35
The Star Trek group I'm with is doing Artemis (with the your Trek Mod) for "Star Trek Day" (25th Anniversary of TNG is September!) at our local library. Would love to run some good Trek missions.
Edward
Baton Rouge, LA
www.BRStarTrek.com
PirateGent said Jul 15, 2012 14:52:51
oh and since we still need to run a few more "trial" runs (like make sure we can have it run in the Library) my group (Ambassador-Class, USS Corsair - www.BRStarTrek.com) would be more than happy to help beta test!
Edward
Baton Rouge, LA
www.BRStarTrek.com
TreChipman said Jul 19, 2012 08:24:47
Alright, Mission 1 of Epsilon Sector is located here for Beta.

Unzip it into you Artemis dat directory, then run the playArtemis.bat file inside the ES1/Mods/ST_TMP_ES directory. It's probably a good idea to back up your files (there's an option to do that in the bat file), but in the absolute worst case, re-installing your vesselData.xml and artemis.ini files should do the trick, too. A couple things:

1) You're stuck with a light cruiser/destroyer, the Meridian, but the good news is that since a lot of these missions will have you operating independently of starbases, the ship is a lot more capable than the stock cruiser for Artemis. It holds a bunch more torpedoes, and has a nearly instant energy recovery, but don't get cocky. You can run out a lot quicker than you think you can, and in a lot of missions, you won't have anywhere to run to. A lot of the campaign centers on the fact that you're not the biggest, baddest thing in the sector, so you'll have to be resourceful. In my mind, I subtitle it as "The Little Starship That Could".

2) This is also operating as the testbed for my plan to have a system that monitors individual performance based on log file events. It's nowhere near complete, but it's a start. I hope to furnish you with a secondary science station that can 'read' information from in-game events and pass that along in the next week or so.

3) I didn't have a lot of voice actors to work with (and I generally sound like mid-pubecent Peter Brady), so the conversations in game are generally done via text-to-speech software. While it's gotten a lot better in the past several years, it's still obviously not a human being. If you've got a good voice and a microphone, please feel free to help out!

4) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
[Last edited Jul 19, 2012 23:47:50]

Visit Artemis Command!
TreChipman said Jul 22, 2012 07:23:57
New version is here with a more easily accessible/revised readme file.
[Last edited Jan 01, 2013 20:44:05]

Visit Artemis Command!
PirateGent said Jul 22, 2012 16:55:29
Ran a "solo" test and everything seemed to work fine. I really think EVERYONE in this community should offer to do voices to help flesh the adventure out. Next time I get my crew together I'll run this to see how they react.

Without giving away any of the plot - TreChipman, it's basically the two "training missions" and then the "other one" after you've resupplied? Correct?
[Last edited Jul 22, 2012 20:29:09]
Edward
Baton Rouge, LA
www.BRStarTrek.com
TreChipman said Jul 22, 2012 20:44:41
Yes, although to complete the mission, you'll have to go to the designated sector to warp out.

Visit Artemis Command!
PirateGent said Jul 23, 2012 02:17:06
correct - going to try and "fail' the mission to see what happens - otherwise everything worked fine for me.

Edward
Baton Rouge, LA
www.BRStarTrek.com
Wacko said Aug 09, 2012 18:37:04
Tre,

I was thinking of adding a library for my campaign, and was wondering if you wanted to collaborate.

Have you seen the starchart I made for my lucidity project?

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=28#/20120702/uss-lucidity-an-artemis-campaign-1733303/page3/

If you wanted to share your .FLA file and I could build off of that?

I'll of course return the favor, send you the source files and make it dynamic so that information can be changed while the game is running.

What do you think?

dhmholley said Aug 19, 2012 21:19:49
I did the lines for Utopia Planitia. I've left the recordings faily raw, you'll want to run over them with some compression and maybe a filter to give them more of a "coming through a radio headset" feel.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/plvp33
The unofficial Artemis Wiki - your handy reference guide to just about everything.
TreChipman said Aug 20, 2012 02:01:47
Awesome! Thanks-- having a real person doing the lines really makes a huge difference in atmosphere and immersion. I had to do some trial and error to drop down the file sizes and add the radio effect (Even though in Star Trek, broadcast quality is always pretty much crystal clear, I thought it added a nice touch-- thanks for the suggestion)! The Revised mod and mission, with the new audio and a few other fixes/changes (and a roughly 20% decrease in file size) has been uploaded!

[Last edited Jan 01, 2013 20:44:40]

Visit Artemis Command!
dhmholley said Aug 20, 2012 23:14:37
Glad to be of service. Can I ask how you achieved the radio effect? It's much better than the ones I've been fiddling with.
The unofficial Artemis Wiki - your handy reference guide to just about everything.
Login below to reply: