Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

Mark's TNG Mod - V2.0

posted Jan 11, 2013 13:09:49 by MarkBell
Update - Big update. V2.0 kind of update. Slew of new ships available, both player and enemy. Just drop this on top of your old install, or delete the ST_TNG folder from your MOD directory and install these new ones. The .bat file installer is also updated. Pictures below updated as well.

I know there had been talk of Vorus and Martok releasing a TNG mod at some point, but my crews have been using one I based on TreChipman's TMP mod so I figured I'd release it for general use. Most of the models are from either Star Trek: Bridge Commander or Armada mods, there are some from www.trekmeshes.ch, and some from Blender Star Trek Meshes. There are a number of UI changes, sound effects, and opening and closing music. I basically used the same formula as Vorus/Martok/TreChipman from here, just with the relevant numbers. There was some fudging since special effect weapons of the Breen and Borg don't work here, but overall I think it's pretty good. I also decided to standardize the speed and turning ratios based on a rather complex (probably unnecessary) formula, but all the ships (player and enemy) follow the same formula. Some of the ships came from the TMP mod, and their stats have been updated to the most modern numbers available here. I included 2 different base types so you can change the bases to Orbital Mining Stations if you like :) In 1.661 it would randomly select the base types from the file, although 1.7 seems to only pick one. In either case, the mod (should be) fully compatible with 1.661 and later (no real issues so far), it should be compatible with most missions (as long as they left generic loopholes in their vessel declarations), and it's pretty fun, if I do say so myself.

Most of the graphic UI is from Adam's Star Trek Mod.

I've included a mod loader (based off the TMP mod loader - seeing a pattern here?) to load up the TNG mod and return it to stock. Ok, enough talk.

Favorite ships and bases from TNG, DS9, and Voyager!

Epic Battles with old foes and modern allies!

Don't get cocky, as you may be overwhelmed if you're not careful...

Please transmit to Starfleet.... We have engaged... The Borg.

Player Ship List:
Lieutenant Grade

00 Miranda
01 Centaur
02 Constitution Refit
03 Constellation
04 Steamrunner
Commander Grade
05 Excelsior
06 Intrepid
07 Nova
08 Cheyenne
09 Saber
Captain Grade
10 Defiant
11 Ambassador
12 Nebula
13 Akira
14 Galaxy
Admiral Grade
15 Excelsior Refit
16 Intrepid Armored
17 Prometheus
18 Luna
19 Sovereign
Small Starship
20 Danube

Enemies - Klingons (8 different types + some elites), Romulans (9 different types + elites), Dominion (4 different types + elites), Cardassians (2 different types), Ferengi (1 type), and Borg (3 types)

Try it! See if you like it! Leave comments, flames, suggestions, etc below :)

Special thanks: Thom Robertson - for Artemis!! Vorus, Martok, and TreChipman - for their fantastic Star Trek Mods used as inspiration and as a base. TreChipman also for the work he did on several models and textures I shamelessly appropriated :) Various and sundry other folks for their input and assistance.

Mod pack here: rar file - stable release. Unzip and copy into your Artemis folder. If your operating system supports folder merging, then that should handle it.

V2 .AML file for Russ Judge's Artemis Mod Loader (may be simpler than dealing with this file mess): V2 aml file - it should be predefined in V 3.016+
[Last edited Jun 28, 2013 14:03:49]
page   first prev 7 8 9 10 11 12
170 replies
MarkBell said Jun 28, 2013 14:02:27
You know what it was? I think at one point (a while and few versions back) I recall you mentioning that it copied the dat\ folder contents into dat\ automatically, and it didn't occur to me that since my folder structure put the dat\ folder 2 or 3 deep it probably wouldn't find it :P (let alone if it still does or not!)

Thanks for your help sorting it out, Russ! I've updated the .aml file at the top of the page to include the dat\* fix, and this one points to my dropbox instead of Russ's.

I'm going to drop the V1 mod - the V2 seems to have the kinks worked out, and I don't hear anyone asking about it anymore. Plus, I'll need to focus on the V2.0 mod as soon as it's released!

Also, I want more missions like the Encounter at Farpoint [TNG] - it was pretty slick, and there's no reason not to. With submarine controls in 2.0, even the Mutara Nebula fight can be recreated now.
jeremy.j.mayes said Jul 02, 2013 17:31:07
So to let you guys know what happened - we had our Artemis party this weekend (GREAT success!). However, we couldn't get the TNG mod to work without the game crashing... and then we found out why.

Most of the people connecting were using tablets (Android, Kindle and iPad versions), and THOSE were the ones that crashed. People who had the game AND mod installed on their PC were just fine.

At least we know now that everything works.

Thanks so much for the help, guys. We couldn't have pulled this off without your assistance! :D
MarkBell said Jul 02, 2013 17:35:58
Hey great! Glad to hear it worked at least somewhat :P I have never been disappointed in the ability of a good Artemis party to hook more players.

I can say the unofficial android client handles mods pretty well, but the official one and iOS clients just aren't set up to. I did hear that Thom wanted to be able to have the server set up to push files to clients, so hopefully that will result in unofficial mod support.
jeremy.j.mayes said Jul 02, 2013 18:19:53
Server push... mmm.. makes me miss the old Q3A LAN parties XD
RussJudge said Jul 09, 2013 21:24:24
Ah, yes--that would be a great way to solve the modding issues with the iOS and Android clients. It would make modding even easier--since the mod would only need applied to the server.
Russ
Author of Artemis Mod Loader.

Login below to reply: