Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

New Uniform

posted Aug 28, 2012 21:07:28 by ScottDunphy
So I've noticed that in many of the Artemis YouTube videos the crews dress in Star Trek uniforms or something very close to that. And that got me thinking that there should be uniforms unique to Artemis. Nothing too elaborate, maybe something nearly everyone can make at home, and definitely something that could prominently feature the patches. Maybe even just vests or smocks that could fit over any standard attire (say a one-colored t-shirt) so you could have a set for whatever crew is available and whatever positions they want the play.

I don't know anything about costume design, but I thought I'd float these ideas and see if someone on here does.
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next last
108 replies
AdmlBaconStraps said Oct 19, 2012 15:28:02
My crew are looking at something a tad more simplistic. We've not really thought of full uniforms, but simple plain black baseball-like caps with the artemis patches on them.

Simple, but effective. Though I do like the look of the balck jumpsuit up above..
interestingjohn said Nov 06, 2012 01:27:56
I just skimmed the thread, I've actually been working on a uniform idea for a local group that I'm trying to start up. I will admit that my wife is a costumer and expert seamstress, so I have a bit of an edge I suppose :P

The designs are kind of a mashup of Star Trek First Contact with BSG and Stargate Universe. Black jumpsuits with mandarin collars, zip-up fronts and cargo pockets on the legs. Utilitarian but still clean.

The color of undershirt as well as shoulder and wrist stripes would denote their department. White for command, Red for ops and Blue for sciences.

The left shoulder would have a black and silver patch with my custom Artemis emblem:

The right shoulder would have a color-coded patch bearing the officer's station insignia:

The left breast would have silver metallic flight wings:

I haven't decided on a rank system yet, it'll either be pips on the collar or patches on the right sleeve (below the station patch).

I've been having an absolute blast designing all of this stuff, any feedback or critique is welcome!
AdmlBaconStraps said Nov 06, 2012 02:51:23
Really like the look of that. I'd maybe change the flight wings to the rank insignia (Or a name patch) though.
Mike_Substelny said Nov 06, 2012 14:48:23
I like the style of these a lot, but I believe the color is too dark for Youtube videos. The lighting is usually pretty low in most bridges, so a light colored uniform would be a big advantage.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
Mike_Substelny said Nov 06, 2012 15:02:19

These guys look sharp in their light colored uniforms. I hear they're popular with the ladies, too.
"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton!"

(Likely actual words of Admiral David Farragut, USN, at the battle of Mobile Bay. Four bells was the signal for the engine room to make full steam ahead).
kwadroke said Nov 06, 2012 17:16:45
Very cool designs, interestingjohn.
You could have the wings 3d printed from some place like Shapeways.com.
I did run across some of these pictures on Google Plus while doing a search for people talking about Artemis.
interestingjohn said Nov 07, 2012 02:22:34
I like the style of these a lot, but I believe the color is too dark for Youtube videos. The lighting is usually pretty low in most bridges, so a light colored uniform would be a big advantage.

My ultimate goal is to run a bridge at our local convention www.spocon.org (which I also work on), if that ends up happening I'm hoping to con my professional film friend to document our exploits in glorious 1080p :)

Very cool designs, interestingjohn.
You could have the wings 3d printed from some place like Shapeways.com.
I did run across some of these pictures on Google Plus while doing a search for people talking about Artemis.

Yeah, my plan was to do a master copy through shapeways and then cast our own, my wife's run a few things through shapeways before and they turned out great :)
interestingjohn said Nov 09, 2012 00:28:43
Oh and here's the 3d version of the wings, I finished this up the other night

http://www.shapeways.com/model/764803/1ff65118484598af1906fafa3388a95b?li=
DouglasRundleIII said Dec 02, 2012 02:59:29
Hey, I wanted to say that it's totally awesome to see everyone contributing to the Artemis Universe and making it more than just a game on a screen, but a community! I love the ideas of the uniforms, especially yours interestingjohn! If you ever produce those uniforms for sale I'd love to buy one!

I hope you don't mind but I used most of your design elements for the version I post here! I wanted to come up with a form of the uniform that could be put together at home (for the most part at least.)

Here they are!

This variant consists of a black micro fleece turtleneck which can be picked up at walmart for around $10 and the stripes on the shoulders and cuffs can be fabric of each persons' choosing. The undershirt is a simple turtleneck matching the color of the stripes on the shoulders and cuffs of the jacket, and can be replaced by a simple t-shirt for even less cost as well as being cooler if the "environmental controls" of your "bridge" aren't "functioning properly"! :P

I thought the mock-collar on the micro fleece jacket imitated the collar on your flight-suits decently enough, and as you can see I incorporated your station patches on the right upper sleeve as you did. I also incorporated the rank pips from DwayneShaffer's design because I thought they'd be a neat addition!

I'm sure you also noticed one major design difference; The "badge" on the left breast. I think your flight wings are an awesome design, but as far as canon for the Artemis universe goes, we are officers in the Terran Stellar Navy, so I felt that it was be better canon wise to have a badge that linked us to the TSN rather than to the game title of Artemis, which in canon is (if I understand correctly) the flagship of the TSN, and not every crew out there wants be be linked directly to that particular ship. So here's the design up close.

As you can see, I did still incorporate the "A" from the game logo in the background of the badge, because I did still want to have that subtle connection to the game, as well as the triangular frame is actually one of the UI selection arrows from in the game.

I truly hope that you don't mind that I used so much of your design here, and if you do, i will remove this post immediately! If not, then I am flattered and grateful!

I hope you all enjoy my contribution to this thread and to the Artemis community! :)
interestingjohn said Dec 02, 2012 03:35:16
I'll clarify the wings, they're inspired by BSG uniforms (and Star Trek to a lesser degree) and the idea behind them is that the symbol would be adapted to the first letter in the name of the ship, using the same, angled letter with semi-circle around it. It does make more sense to make it generic, but oh well :P

I like your version DouglasRundleIII, it works as a quick, cheap, accessible version :)

I did end up designing some rank pips (different versions for each rank, more like BSG), if I get a chance, I'll post up those designs.
kwadroke said Dec 02, 2012 08:06:24
DouglasRundleIII - I love your design. It reminds me of an Away Team uniform, but still works as a bridge uniform.
Tonight I went out and picked up a white turtleneck shirt, the fleece turtleneck, and some more pieces at Walmart while I was out grocery shopping. I'm hoping start on it in the morning and have most of it done tomorrow, if I don't hit any snags.
I am planning on a couple of small modifications to your design. Going to put my Artemis patch on the arm instead of the symbols (since I already have the patch on hand). Not sure what I'm going to do about rank yet. I've also designed a Badge, but it needs some more work before converting it to 3d for printing.

If all goes well, I'm hoping to wear it when we run Artemis at ShadowCon in Memphis next month.
kwadroke said Dec 03, 2012 03:43:05
It's still a work-in-progress, but I got my variant of DouglasRundleIII's uniform top almost finished.

I've still got to get the patch attached and the Badge and Rank, but it's mostly done. Someone with better sewing skills than I could make it look much better. I may try again to make a better one in the future.
DouglasRundleIII said Dec 03, 2012 11:44:23
That looks awesome, kwadroke! I think you did an excellent job! You should know also that you beat me to the punch! I've got to wait a little bit before I can spare the $10 to buy the jacket! :P Well done! I'm glad you like the design and that it turned out so well!
DwayneShaffer said Dec 04, 2012 16:25:01
Doug I really like your Idea here is my variant of your design with the re designed rank and name board.
The name board is a 3x4 patch that can have Velcro attached so the patches can be remove just like the standard flight suits

Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
http://vidar-gsr-3701.webs.com/
DouglasRundleIII said Dec 05, 2012 01:18:02
Sweet deal, Dwayne! I like what you've got going there! and I REALLY like the name plate and rank combination! Would you mind posting a close-up?
Login below to reply: