Members | Sign In
All Forums > Off-topic

New Uniform

posted Aug 28, 2012 21:07:28 by ScottDunphy
So I've noticed that in many of the Artemis YouTube videos the crews dress in Star Trek uniforms or something very close to that. And that got me thinking that there should be uniforms unique to Artemis. Nothing too elaborate, maybe something nearly everyone can make at home, and definitely something that could prominently feature the patches. Maybe even just vests or smocks that could fit over any standard attire (say a one-colored t-shirt) so you could have a set for whatever crew is available and whatever positions they want the play.

I don't know anything about costume design, but I thought I'd float these ideas and see if someone on here does.
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next last
108 replies
briancj said Jan 02, 2013 19:24:36
Hello, folks! Brian your Community Manager, here!

I'd like to do two things:

1) Thank you ALL for your ideas. Some of this stuff is absolutely brilliant, and your calm discussion of the subject really makes me happy to be a part of this community. Y'all ROCK.

2) Expect an announcement as to the "Official" uniforms, very soon. Marion Robertson, the lovely lady behind the Artemis patches and other items, is hard at work on some new swag, and we're going to incorporate that with suggestions from this thread!

My goal is to make sure everyone who wants to rock some Artemis Cosplay can do so easily and afford-ably, with options for Dress, Duty and Casual options. Because we here at the TSN are all about fashion. :D

Again, thanks for the incredible thread, and all the ideas!

--Brian

interestingjohn said Jan 02, 2013 19:42:42
I almost loath the idea of "official" uniforms, but that may be because I'm also rather opposed to the existing Artemis logo and patches. But I'm allowed to be picky as a professional designer, and they don't really fit my aesthetic :P and I suppose we're all entitled to our opinions.

Regardless of any official uniforms, I'll very likely stick to my custom ones, because that's just how I roll, I'm too picky for my own good.

I also think the idea of official standardized uniforms goes a bit against the nature and spirit of Artemis, since the game allows for mods and many people simulate Star Trek or BSG with it. I suppose the official uniforms would be appropriate for the vanilla game design.

On a separate but somewhat related note, I'd really like to see more ship mods, especially original designs.
MarkBell said Jan 03, 2013 16:07:52
I really like the chef coats - particularly because there are multiple levels of coat available for different amounts of money. 3 star for ~$20 up to ~$100 for the really nice ones. Plus, they are pretty snazzy.

Overall, as long as they aren't form-fitting jumpsuits, I'm excited to see what the official uniforms look like! :)
JosephBranson said Jan 04, 2013 06:43:20
interestingjohn, The great thing about Artemis is it's ability to fit into almost any genre. If you want to run a Star Trek Mod, stick with Star Trek unis. Same for BSG. The "Official" Artemis uniforms are for those of us interested in the full canon that Thom & Company have provided for us, for that sense of community, to be able to recognize another Artemis Captain and crew from across a convention hall and say, "Hey! I recognize that!" I don't have a group that is into Star Trek or BSG enough to get them to wear uniforms, but if Artemis had their own uniforms that were recognized as T.S.N. uniforms, they would pull instantly start screaming "Shut up and take my money!" That's the beauty of Artemis, you don't have to adhere to anything you don't want to and still be recognized as part of this community. Some of us are just as happy to blow up Kraliens as we are to blow up Klingons or Cylons. Also, it would be great for raising awareness for the game. Six people walk in to a convention hall all dressed in uniforms no one recognizes, someone will begin asking questions. Next thing you know, the next year's con in that location will have an Artemis bridge up and running. I personally can't wait to get my hands on an Artemis uniform. I just hope they are out by Feb. 14, so I can tell my wife,"Look! This is what I want for my birthday!"

having said all of that, interestingjohn, I absolutely love your version of the jumpsuits earlier in the thread! Great work!
[Last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:52:34]
I've been flying ships since before you were born, sad little Earth-monkey! -Zim
JacobMartinek said Jan 10, 2013 04:16:26
interestingjohn, would you be willing to share the .psd or editable file for that sweet flightwing? I'd love to make one up with a big 'ol T for Totemic. :] Think I'm going to do some backyard metal casting for my crew.

(Edit: Also, did you order the custom patches from anywhere special, or were they self-embroidered?)

Edit edit: Gotta say, I'd love to see your station patches and airwings for sale as canon.

My plans:

Went short sleeve since I'm down south where it's always burning up.
[Last edited Jan 10, 2013 08:49:24]
Captain Jacob Martinek
T.S.N. Totemic (BS193-113)
JohnKlingbeil said Jan 11, 2013 21:47:15
i like the short sleeves. they would allow for colored long sleeve undershirts that could go with the station.
interestingjohn said Jan 11, 2013 22:04:06
@JosephBranson - I totally understand. I'm just way too picky for my own good. :)

@JacobMartinek - The flight wings were made first in illustrator, then the "metallic" mockup in photoshop and then I created the 3D version in sketchup. I'm considering doing every letter in that style to make it easy for other ships that are interested in using that style.

My work schedule's been grueling, so I haven't had a chance to order the patches yet, but I've been in contact with a store on Etsy that does custom patches and they're excited to do them for me. http://www.etsy.com/shop/PopCoutureCrafts

Also, nice work on the short sleeve variant :) I'm still trying to convince my wife to make a prototype before our next Con in February.
JacobMartinek said Jan 12, 2013 04:59:06
Slight revision. Removed sleeve lines for short-sleeves. Gonna go with armbands that have the T logo and ship name. Haven't decided what format of name I want to use (TOTEMIC, TSN TOTEMIC, BA193-113, or variant/concatenation thereof).

Would love to do turtlenecks, but it's too damned hot here XD Cant wait to get some flight wings cast and some patches ordered! In the meantime--time to hunt for supplies.
[Last edited Jan 12, 2013 05:09:51]
Captain Jacob Martinek
TreChipman said Jan 12, 2013 05:14:13
Can I just go ahead and ask that the Tactical shirt has a 12 inch wide copy of the targeting reticule icon applied to the back of the shirt for consistency's sake?
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
JacobMartinek said Jan 12, 2013 05:24:49
LMFAO. When the game is about to start. "Alright crew, take your stations. Oh! Weapons. Please sign this waiver before we embark."
Captain Jacob Martinek
TreChipman said Jan 12, 2013 05:57:45
"People, I'm not going to lie to you: the odds against us are long, and the tasks ahead are formidable. However, I promise that if you remember your training, you will make it out of this alive."

"Well, most of you, anyway. You guys wearing red should probably take a second or two to update your personnel files to make sure your next of kin information is up to date."

"So, at least we got that out whole thing out of the way. Whew. I gotta tell you, that went a lot better than I thought it would. Anyway, let's boldly go forward to victory!"

-- Inspirational Victory Speech
Captain Horatio Claudius Agamemnon, T.S.N. Audacious (CL172-16)
3 minutes prior to engaging the Kralien Fleet in what would later be called "The Great Red Shirt Slaughter of 2175".
[Last edited Jan 12, 2013 06:02:36]
I'm not a mad scientist. I'm an angry one. You'd be wise to fear the latter.

Visit Artemis Command!
JacobMartinek said Jan 17, 2013 09:19:46
Welp attempt number 1 at zinc casting flightwings in the backyard was an utter failure! I'd upload a picture, but you can just imagine a lump of metal that looks something like bird vomit. :/ I'll continue refining my technique (and share it if I have a success).

Interestingjohn - If you get some up on shapeways I'll cheerfully buy some T's if I haven't gotten lucky by then!
Captain Jacob Martinek
xavierwise.tsn said Jan 17, 2013 09:54:46
TreChipman,

love the inspirational speech, hilarious!
DeaneGeiken said Feb 22, 2013 21:43:23
Interestingjohn, should you ever get the time to produce some of the badges and pins, please let us know! Great stuff!
Commander -TSN Belisarius (BS 108)
DwayneShaffer said Feb 27, 2013 23:24:28
If you are interested in seeing some of the new designs coming out from Marion Robertson you can see them here.

http://wackomedia.com/meet-the-lucidity-crew/
Dwayne Shaffer C.O.
Vidar GSR 3701
C.D.F. 7th Fleet
http://vidar-gsr-3701.webs.com/
Login below to reply: