Members | Sign In
All Forums > Bridge Crew Comms

Saturday Night Flights

posted Sep 19, 2012 15:00:52 by FraserSulatycki
Sort of a fork of "Looking for a group" I felt it best to make my own thread for organizing games on Saturdays.

Normally we play Saturdays at 9:30pm EST. I'm based near Detroit, Mi and run the server. Communication is over TS on Canada.PublicTeamSpeak.com in the channel TSN Cavy PW guineapig since we can make make our own temporary channels and lock it to keep others out. Server IP will be announced in there since I'm on a dynamic IP and its easier to give it there. I am typically on TS 30-45 minutes before game start to set up the channel on TS and wait for everyone.

In past we normally have 3 people crewing the ship: Myself, Missy, and William (haven't made up awesome nicknames yet, but we are working on it). I'm normally Captain/Engineering/Science, Missy is Helm, and William is Weapons/Comms. I captain the first run at least then its open to anyone who wants to give it a shot if they want the challenge. If you want weapons or helm, just ask in chat, and all other stations are open for anyone that want to try them.

Missions have just been invasion where we run around and kill stuff on interesting or very interesting maps. Ships vary from light cruiser to dreadnaught depending on the consensus of the crew. Only thing we haven't flows in the scout, but that can be changed. Overall we keep the runs flexible and try to make it fun and challenging.

My goal with this crew is to play every Saturday and have fun, and maybe get enough people to run multiple ships. Technically you can run a ship with just 2 people, but 3 works better. So post up if you are interested in flying with us!
[Last edited Sep 19, 2012 15:01:41]
page   first prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next last
250 replies
GregoryWalek said Nov 04, 2012 01:18:20
I am sitting in TS right now with a channel made. I have to run a quick errand, but should be back soon.
ritzwald said Nov 04, 2012 04:25:29
Great time tonight guys. I got a video of the singularity eating up that enemy fleet that I will post later. Cya next week!
ritzwald said Nov 04, 2012 15:18:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29I8YW-ujU&feature=plcp
The video from last night as promised.
Charlie said Nov 04, 2012 16:13:14
Great shots of the Dreadnaught.
ritzwald said Nov 04, 2012 18:24:39
You can thank the "Observer" option for the shots. Next sat I will be having a machine dedicated to filming the even. I only got the cam up after we lost the Aegis/Normandy (ship had an identity crisis midgame)

Also, Im looking into option for a more stable VPS. If any of the guys want to show support by pledging for a sever, I can start looking into options. The server we were on last night is actually a desktop at a friends house we use so I can still play tabletop d20 games with them because I moved. Its not a strong machine and on a residential isp. Just to be clear, we arnt asking for money, just for people who would donate for a server to put their name down so we can see what we can do.

Last, I would love it if everyone who played last night who enjoyed the game join the Steam SNF group @ http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaterdayNF (Yes I know saturday is spelled wrong, but its not possible to change it yet). It is a good way to organize and already has a voice chat feature. Plus you can scheduled games and we can make some non-saturday games if enough people are on
[Last edited Nov 04, 2012 18:28:15]
Kaijudo_ said Nov 04, 2012 21:25:00
ritzwald said about 6 hours ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29I8YW-ujU&feature=plcp
The video from last night as promised.

Great video man! I was there last night. I'm the guy saying "Oh S____" at 2:14 lol. That was a lot of fun last night.

If you're reading this and you haven't jointed us yet; you need to. It's a lot of fun.
PrestonEvans said Nov 05, 2012 02:10:44
Im the helmsman. The science team doesn't want to tell me nothing! :-)
MarkKnapik said Nov 09, 2012 18:23:49
Ritz, I have been looking into setting up a server for this at rackspace, but I'm having trouble, due to the DirectX issues with remote access.

Is that something you are interested in?
WilliamFisher said Nov 09, 2012 18:45:07
Speaking as the science team on that mission, and also the ostensible captain (although it was more by committee), I was a bit distracted. I recommend paying attention to the LRS screen as much as you do the Helm screen. You can see what things are around you and work from there.
ritzwald said Nov 09, 2012 19:59:18
@MarkKnapik

I ran into the same problems and found some workaround, but still had some issues. Try seeing if you can setup a vm with 3d acceleration like in this article.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualization-3d-support-vmware.html

2 things that you may run into is that the resolution selection screen at launch may not display correctly. I found I had to install TeamViewer to handle that issue.
The second is that the 3d acceleration is done on the cpu and that is pretty tasking on the server. I found that by selecting a second station like LRS on the mainscreen worked out in our favor.

The way I ended up overcoming this was just tossing in a 8800gtx into the rack and thus adding directx to the system.

Let me know if the vm idea works.
MarkKnapik said Nov 09, 2012 20:59:05
The DirectX issue was more directly related to RDP. I ended up getting around that by switching to Windows Server 2012 instead of Windows Server 2008.

At that point, I got the squished resolution select screen. Worked around that by connecting via VNC, instead of RDP.

However, now I'm getting a crash every time I try to start the server.
MarkKnapik said Nov 09, 2012 21:34:20
I think my next attempt will be with a Linux server, running the Artemis server via Wine... We'll see how that goes.
ritzwald said Nov 09, 2012 22:57:48
Just want to remind everyone that tomorrow night is Saturday Night Flights!

Server ip: 24.19.114.56
Teamspeak: Canada.PublicTeamSpeak.com Channel: TSN Cavy PW: guineapig
Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaterdayNF

Game starts at 9:30pm EST with pregame play starting around 7pm EST (Pregame start time varies)
Join us on TeamSpeak to organize roles and ships before the match starts. One again we should have 2 ships to start with and hopefully we can get a 3rd up and running if we have enough people to do so.

Also, we will be recording the match a bit using FRAPS and posting on Youtube on the following morning (or once the upload is finished) If you have a spare pc laying around that you would like to help film with, let me know here or on the steam group (id Shakorax)

If there are any request for game modes or missions, let me know ASAP so I can work them into the plan.
Cant wait to see all you out on the battlefield.
[Last edited Nov 11, 2012 00:17:13]
FraserSulatycki said Nov 10, 2012 12:27:18
Sounds like fun, I'll see if I can get on tonight to join the party!
ritzwald said Nov 12, 2012 00:14:52
So, in the middle of last nights game, the people over at Canada.publicteamsoeak.com either were hacked or decided to ban anyone and everyone on their servers last night in the middle of our game with the message of "Too many complaints - Banned" Due to this, the game got cut short. Next week we will be using a different server to avoid the issue. Thanks to Mark up there for finding the new server. We will be posting its info closer to next Saturday.

Also, in the middle of our recording, we had the Helm terminal / Fraps machine go down, causing up to lose a good bit of video. Not to mention me yelling to our tactical officer for someone to get on helm as we were doing space donuts! So here is the rather short video, also with out the captain/helm and comm officer communications chatter as fraps failed to keep the setup from last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CljLnK4WUOs

Not to bad for a bunch of FUBAR.

Next week we will be starting at 8:30 EST if there are no objections. Let me know if that works for everyone as we had some who could not play due to the 9:30 start time.

Thanks to all who came, the crews of the USS Artemis, Intrepid and Aegis fought bravely against all odds. See you next week!
Login below to reply: